Getting H8000FW to work with mixer & soundcard

Home Forums Products Rackmount Getting H8000FW to work with mixer & soundcard

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      rebootjoy

Hi everybody

I bought an eventide h8000FW which I adored for a long time, now I´m pretty happy it stands next to my H3000 d/se & my space pedal.

The original owner sparely used it and it still isn´t updated to the latest version, it is 5.0 at the moment. Anyways, I will update it within the next couple a days and guess it isn´t the problem I view at the moment.

I´m def not a tech ace (that´s why I´m here I guess…), but I´m trying to describe the problem I face here:

I´m working on a 8ch tube mixer wich is connected via adat to my rme ff400 which runs in auto sync clock mode. From the RME I´m connected via FW to my Hackintosh. I use my adat ins for recording synths and instruments etc. and my adat 1-8 outputs for analog summing in the final process. My current DAW is Cubase 7.5

For what I know is, my RME needs to be a slave of the mixer, otherwise I am not able to assign the channels to my little mixer for submixes or recordings. 

I´m trying to figure out what routing configuration I have to use just to be able to hear the H8000fw. It is a bit confusing to me, I read on the forum and gearslutz etc but don´t really know how to get a sound out of it. 

As I work more or less like this (just printing the H3000 after assigning it to another ST channel etc…) I find the following idea very attractive (somone posted this in the forum some time ago):

Practical use and connection of the H8000 in production use can be done in the following way;

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 16.0px 0.0px; font: 15.0px Helvetica}

ADAT or AES/EBU –  I/O  This way up to EIGHT channels of audio can be run to between the H8000 and your DAW’s soundcard/interface. In my case I’m running a Digidesign 003 with Pro Tools Le. There are two optical cables running between the 003 and the H8000. There is also a BNC cable from the H8000’s Wordclock Out going to the Wodclock In on the 003. In Pro Tools it’s set to slave to the incoming wordclock. Sessions are run a 48K as this more than addequate for me. When recording, experpermenting, doing standard production the H8000 will be used as a stereo unit with signals going to it via ADAT 1 & 2. Once an effect has been choosen and tweaked it is then printed to a new audio track. Remember many presets are summed in and stereo out so this comes in handy for “stereoising” a mono signal. When all the parts are ready and the song needs to be mixed Four stereo busses/auxelaries are setup as follows; H8000 – 1&2 – 3&4 – 5&6 – 7&8. These four busses each use an I/O insert in Pro Tools that route the signals to respecive I/O on the H8000. Then preset 3218: Virtual Rack 1 is called up and tweaked to taste.

ANY HELP APPRECIATED : )

rebootjoy

well, very quiet here….

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        rebootjoy wrote:

well, very quiet here….

It's unclear how you plan to connect to the H8000.

AES would probably be best (ADAT limits you to 48k at 8 channels), with a WordClock sync source. Until we know this, we can't advise about routing.

I would also lightly suggest that you appear to be planning a complex system, and if as you say, you are not really tech-y, you might want to consider some local technical help.

rebootjoy

thx for your reply!

will do the updates and think it properly thru again…just wanted to use it as fx-processor but now I think I should consider to use it as soundcard as well. will be back after updating the h8000fw & try to be more specific! 

rebootjoy

damn! this thing enhances my sound at least 10 times…got it runnin…

strat rack

Hi , I have also just recently aquired a H8000fw second hand and got a great deal. I am way behind the curve at tech. I probably need major help as I am a old school hardware guy. I had used a mini disc 8 channel , and now I got a Zoom R16 which sounds great as a digital recorder. So I need to built on and create a studio from Zero. The Zoom can be used as an interface /controler , so I guess I’ll have to figure out how to use that . There are so many ways to connect , so I’ll have to figure out the route to go . I hear Thunderbolt is faster and better than Firewire and the Zoom works with Cubebase …I may have to hire somebody to get to where I need to go. I have mountains of guitar rack sonic heaven , and can hook my MOOG up to the H8000 and Kurzweil Mangler as well. 

So currently I have a couple of rack mixers and Have a Mesa Boogie Old School 395 Amp (Sweetness) and Triaxis Preamp , running Stereo Dry / Stereo H8000/Stereo Rocktron Intellipitch through the mixer into the 395 out to the EV Speakers !!! I have another Alesis Multi Mix 12R to use for the synth out to monitors……

So the long road ahead is how to interface so of that to the computer …but my computr is on it’s last legs , so I need to maybe buy a dedicated Music Laptop. I hear a lot of people talking about ADAT , but I believe the Zoom R16 is probobly a higher standard than ADAT? Hmmmmm…. 

Strat Rack 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.