got hiss?

Home Forums Products Rackmount got hiss?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      stratocasius
      Participant

Hello all –

v4.0

Anyone familiar with the background hiss/hush that seems to lie behind every effect? I've owned this beauty for about a year, yet still can't seem to shake this hiss. Its present in basic setups i use. (amp effects loop or straight in via mixer)

I understand that I can adjust the Levels In/Out levels, but after much tweaking(subtle to extreme) i still can't shake the hiss. If anything, it just turns the hiss(along with my patch) down to a lower volume, never really isolating out the background noise. Maybe the problem lies somewhere else in the patch.

I check/swapped out all my cables(power-instrument), different guitars/setups, even different venues, yet still is there. Maybe i could compare my settings with some of you guys who aren't experiencing this…or share your experiences/adjustments when you first got your eclipse and how/what you needed to adjust to alleviate this?

Below are my Level/Setup config…

Analog Level In < – 0.7db>

I/O Mode –  mono 1

In Gain  < – 0.7db >

Out Gain  < – 3.0db >

Master Out (R+L) – 0.0db

Hiss on xfade and non-xfade patches.

Thanks guys

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Could be anything. A normal Eclipse has a better than 100dB signal to noise. A few questions:

1) Did you get it prior to V4.0 ?

2) Do you get it with "Thru Series" ?

3) Do you get it in DSP bypass ?

4) Do you get it in relay bypass ?

5) Do you light the yellow leds with a full level signal ?

stratocasius
      Participant

No1) Did you get it prior to V4.0 ?
      I did have the same issue with v3.51 previously.

2) Do you get it with "Thru Series" ?
      Yes…I do.

3) Do you get it in DSP bypass ?
      No.

4) Do you get it in relay bypass ?
      Not sure what you mean here…

5) Do you light the yellow leds with a full level signal ?
      This may be my problem. I only have about one or two green lights here in the two setups I use(direct or effects loop) Any suggestions on how to get the best possible signal here?
      thanks guy
      you are the best.
      randy

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

stratocasius:

This may be my problem

I think so ..

Turn up the input gain as much as you can ( LEVELS {IN-GAIN} ) and turn down the output gain if necessary to compensate ( LEVELS {OUT GAIN} ). Set all other gains except WET/DRY to 0.

This will help, but may not be enough. You don't say which inputs you are using – the 1/4" jacks have the highest gain.

Another possible cause – if you are using XLR you need to have all 3 pin connected, or you will get low signal and high noise – see the User Manual for more info.

stratocasius
      Participant

Thanks Nick…I'll try the Turn Up / Turn Downs that you suggested.

As far as inputs i use…i use both 1/4inch as well as XLR for inputs…is there a way i can find out if all three PINS are connected on my XLR?

Thanks again…you guys are the best.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You would really have to take the XLRs apart to see how they are connected, or use a continuity tester of some kind.

The problem is most likely to arise if you are connecting from the XLR on the Eclipse to an unbalanced connection of some kind, typically a 1/4" or RCA jack

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.