Guitar Cabinet Emulation (Not amp)

Home Forums Products Rackmount Guitar Cabinet Emulation (Not amp)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      J20056
      Participant

Does the H9000 have any algos to emulate a guitar cabinet? I am going to use a guitar preamp (Mesa TriAxis) to get the main guitar tone, but without a power amp and guitar cab. I was hoping I could get the Mesa into the H9000 and use a preset that would emulate a guitar cab. I suppose one can get close with just EQ, but asking in case there are more advanced algos.

macgee
      Participant
      J20056 wrote:
      Does the H9000 have any algos to emulate a guitar cabinet? I am going to use a guitar preamp (Mesa TriAxis) to get the main guitar tone, but without a power amp and guitar cab. I was hoping I could get the Mesa into the H9000 and use a preset that would emulate a guitar cab. I suppose one can get close with just EQ, but asking in case there are more advanced algos.

From H9000 Algorithm manual there are 2 algos I spotted claiming Speaker Emulation

#210 Amp-u-lation

Tube power amp/speaker emulation. This little guy can really do the trick of cleaning up harsh fuzz or to feed a P.A. Stereo in, stereo out.

#817 Chorused Cabinet

The sound of a miked speaker cabinet with a touch of modulating chorus. Summed in, stereo out.

I’m now intrigued to see if it does what it says on the tin cos a while back I was looking into this, checking Vsig modules and reading online material to see if I could build something there.

I’m inclined to think proper speaker emulation would be more than just EQ, probably doing multiband a) eq, b) compression, c) saturation but probably other stuff too

J20056
      Participant

Thanks and good to know. In fact I think one or even both of them are on the 7600. I’m still going to upgrade to a 9000 though.
      In my case I use the TriAxis mostly for pristine clean tube tone, and in the past, I had it plugged into a Mesa 2020 tube power amp. But I also tried a solid state and I never found that the power amp added any color at all. So for this type of tone, I am hoping the algos will work well. For crunch and lead tone, I am using the CabClone emulator in the back of my Mesa MarkV amp ans I had A/B that output versus micing the cab it there was no difference.
      Can’t wait to get my 9000 later this week

J20056
      Participant

Just finished a pretty thorough A|B comparison. In all cases, the preamp was a Mesa TriAxis with the most pristine clean preset.
      A was using the power amp section (via FX return) of a Mesa MarkV-25 set to 10W going into a Mesa 1×12 cab, and B was the H7600 (with cab emulation preset in serial mode) going into a JBL EON powered (solid state bi-amp) with a 12” driver. I think of the latter as a FRFR speaker.
      I was very surprised by the result. Basically, most of the difference is actually coming from the power amp and not the cab emulation. What I mean is that preset 817 came fairly close as far as tone (while 217 was way too scooped and solid state sounding). But they key as a guitar player is that the Mesa tube power amp creates this type of “immediacy” when you play that simply doesn’t exist with a solid state amp. I always thought that immediacy comes from the preamp (which is the same here) but that is completely untrue. Having said that, setup A is clearly limited in range and doesn’t have chimey and super pretty highs. So it appears like one has to choose. Well not really with enough gear. The way I’m achieving a KILLER clean tone is with setup A for center channel (mono) and I use the piezo output of my guitar (a Music Man Majesty) to go into a Fishman DI with amazing acoustic guitar emulation, then into a stereo mild chorus fed into stereo JBL AON for which you don’t need the tube immediacy.
      I believe that with the connectivity of the H9000, I will be able to plug all these devices and control relative volumes via FX chains and MIDI volume control in Emote. Hoping to the the H9000R this week, so we’ll se how things go, but I believe this will sound better than an AxeFX will ever be able to based on the conclusion of using the power section of the MarkV.
      It will be key to be able to connect the IO of multiple FX chains in order to do that, but I was told by Eventide that they are really focused on it.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.