H-8000FW order

Home Forums Products Rackmount H-8000FW order

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Hi all,

just wanted to say that I ordered the H-8000 FW today!! Sorry, I couldn't wait any longer…

tonyshred
      Participant

Congrats, You'll love it 

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Thanks a lot! The only problem is that the dealer told me that it would take more than a month to come here in Greece. You know customs… :-/

I can't wait to hear my synthesizers through it 🙂

Yannis

IDeangelis

It was about time, Yannis!

Party!!!

cheers and congrats

I

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Hi Italo,

thanks a lot! I wanted to buy an Eventide since day one..!

Regards,
      Yannis

Sonic Nomad
      Participant

Welcome to the world of sonic bliss. Big Smile 

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Hi there, thanx a lot!

It would be interested to know how everybody uses their Eventides. I need to prepare for a live show in Athens and I was thinking to have only a minimal (and portable) setup on stage: a notebook for sequencing purposes, an RME Fireface 800, a synthesizer for playing the live parts (probably the Andromeda), the H-8000 FW, and a data-glove. The data-glove idea is a very recent one, I will probably make (or modify) some presets on the H-8000FW and control some of its parameteres from the data-glove. I am sure it will spice things A LOT 🙂

What do you guys use it on?

Regards,
      Yannis

cl516
      Participant

synthesizer will definitely be enjoyable with this unit. my H8000FW combined with my Andromeda has certainly created some of the most unique sounds ever. it's easy to get lost in all this.

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Hi there. I am really looking forward to the H-8000 FW. Do you have any demos with the Andromeda processed through it? Do you use the Main, Aux or Voice outputs of your A6? Regards, Yannis.

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

IT'S HERE! I am thrilled…! Italo, do I need to complete the warranty registration form or registering online is ok too?

Gee, guys, where do I start? I mean, I am a computer programmer but it looks like I am going to need A LOT of time to really master this baby.

I gotta run 🙂
      Yannis

IDeangelis

Yannis

online registration is all you need.

Enjoy!

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I have run some pads I made on the Andromeda through the H-8000FW and …boy this has been quite an experience! Never in my life have I heard such a multidimensional sound – reverbs are smooth like silk, the multitap delays are just spectacular – I have tried these with sequencers patterns and all kinds of poly-rhythms occur.

I haven't tried the various shifters so far but I did try the EQ and it's very warm and precise – not the thing you would expect from a digital machine. Everything oozes quality and shouts expensive!

Which makes me wonder… are the guys at Eventide aliens? Maybe some extra-terrestrial intelligence or something like that? I am maybe too emotional here but I just wanted to share my first thoughts about it.

I do have a question about levels however.. I have the aforementioned pad from the Andromeda and the level is let's say 42% out of 100% maximum. The chain is:

Andromeda aux outputs 1 & 2 -> H-8000FW analog inputs 1 & 2 -> Processing -> H-8000FW analog outputs 1 & 2 -> RME Hammerfall Multiface analog ins 1 & 2.

In the H-8000FW, only the first LED is lit (-40dB). I measured the levels with RME proprietary software and no clipping occurs. I checked the output levels on the H-8000FW and they are at 0 dB. However the level meter in the computer shows something like -20 dB. So, I thought to give it some extra volume from the Andromeda and pushed it to 100%. Now, the three last LEDs are lit on the H-8000FW and the software shows constant overdrive. The levels are set to monitor the actual input levels prior to AD conversion. Which makes me think: Why does clipping occur when the levels are set to -18dB? Am I wrong to think that 0dB in the output levels verifies that no signal above 0dB will be output from the H-8000FW?

I have done this in order to achieve the optimal performance regarding levels, i.e. just to get the signal level as close to the 0dB without hitting 0dB under any circumstance. I guess I will probably leave it to -6dB so as to leave some headroom for these whacky resonant sweeps – just to be on the safe side. Italo, any ideas here?

Thanks in advance,
      Yannis

IDeangelis
      Our
      products handle about 28 volts peak to peak, or about 10V rms which is about
      20log10(10/0.776) = 22.2 dBu. So the maximum input level of our systems is
      around 22-23dBu. The manual says 26dBu – this probably assumes 30V peak to
      peak.

This
      means that someone feeding us 0dBu will be about 22dB below the peak level, so
      he won't see much meter activity. The meters are scaled 0.06, 3, 6, 9,
      12,15,18,21, 40dB. Our meters are scaled is in dBr, where the reference is full
      level. This is a useful way to do it, since our main interest is in giving a
      good dynamic range, so we are mostly interested in the top end of the band, and
      in particular we want the peak level point to be well defined to indicate the
      clipping point, i.e. 0dB – anything else would be unclear.

So,
      putting 0dB in will probably only light the bottom led. This is correct – there
      is not a problem.
      Our input levels are set up so that if you give it a nominal 0dBu real signal,
      you have about 22dB of headroom.

More simply….lighting up 3 or 4 LEDS is what you really need, at the most.

You can use the A/D Gain controls to help boosting input levels. if needed.

best

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Italo,

thanks for clarifying this one. So, feeding an outside 0dB signal is -22dB on the Eventide – the manual recommends to have the levels IN the yellow area. Based on what you say this is probably end up in… distortio?

How about outputs levels? The manual also says 26dB. With 0dB output level on the H-8000FW my converters still indicate clipping 🙁 So, how come a 26dB signal causes clipping? They are set to measure input levels pre-fade – this is what worries me.

Also, why do my messages appear without paragraphs or spaces?

Thanks again
      Yannis

IDeangelis

No need to be in the yellow, really. Outputs are the same as inputs. What you feed to the unit is what you get out.If there is any distortion, it may be at converters IF the signal is really loud or it could be somewhere inthe algorithm. Depends on the preset. You should do tests with the THRU preset.

You converters indicate distortion because they do not have the headroom the H8000 has!

All of this is true for ANALOG connections only! Digital connections use the LED in the traditional way.

best

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Italo,

thanks again. My converters are RME (Multiface + Fireface x 2). Now that you mentioned it, I think I am going to have to change the reference levels. They can be set to -10 dBv, +4 dBu and HiGain. Something tells me that they are set to -10 dBv, hence the clipping. If the clipping persists, I will get in contact with RME.

Maybe, high end converters like DAD or PrismSound will sound even better?

Regards,
      Yannis

IDeangelis

Of course Prism Sound will sound better…… they cost what? 5x!

I

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.