H 8000FW OS 5.3 upgrade problem

Home Forums Products Rackmount H 8000FW OS 5.3 upgrade problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Wiseguy

Yesterday i bought a used H8000FW OS 5.2 is installed, i tried eveyting i can think of to get 5.3 in with the original Vicking CF card, i formatted the card several times in the machine, on different pc's with different Windows versions but it won't perform the update……. When powering up, while holding 2 after thank you it says awaiting contact, sometimes it goes a little further it says FWterm V1.2, busy led is on, and it freezes, i tried it at least 50 times now i give up, can someone help ?

p.s. I was thinking of updating via the serial port but i read updating to 5.3 is not possible via serial.

Thanks in advance,

John

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

It may be a problem with the card or adaptor  – worth trying a different one – they are cheap.

You are correct that 5.3 can only be installed from a card.

Wiseguy

I suspect that to be the problem also, this morning i tried once more and it worked without changing anything, but at 50% it crashed again : Error – 300 processing Command "load h8000 bin" press any key to continue, so that was that.The first owner, who bought it new, told me he never could get it to work with the Viking CF, he always did the upgrades with a Keyspan USB to serial cable, that worked fast and perfect. I was thinking to buy one also but than i ran into the message that it's not possible to upload the 5.3 OS with the serial port………so my questions are you very very sure it won't work with the Keyspan USB to serial cable, what brand/type/size CF card would you recommend for the H8000FW ? thanks for helping me out, John

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Note that it could be the adaptor that is the problem.

We usually recommend Sandisk cards (they invented CF), but probably any reputable product would do. It may work best with cards below 1GB, but these are hard to get.

Also, try formatting it on a PC as FAT (not FAT32) this makes a difference on Eclipse, don't know if it does on H8000.

If all else fails, buy a card from Eventide ( http://eventidestore.com/h8fasoupca.html ). If you ask nicely, they may give you an adaptor as well. Be aware that there is a new H8000FW release coming in the New Year, so you may want to wait.

Wiseguy

Ok thanks, so far no good 🙁 i bought a new keyspan usb/serial cable and 32MB sandisk on ebay so i hope when they are here, one will do the job for me, in the meantime i found other users with similar problems in my country, most are running older OS versions because they gave up, one person they told at Eventide (he says) that some pins are prob. wrongly wired in his unit, sounds bizar to me in this price range. Anyhow i would like to solve this, i'll try whatever i can, if it doesn't work out i guess i have to buy a card from the Eventide shop, any idea when the new 5.4 ? OS will arrive ? Thanks, John

IDeangelis

John

it's amazing what people say! We have adviced and described what type of serial cable should be used. The reason is there are different types with different wiring, like null_modem ones. We use the regular type where each number of pin is wired to the corresponding numbered one on the other side of the cable. So there is no Eventide with wrong numbering of the pins, just people who are using wrong serial cables.

You may want to check the technote "Troubleshoting problems with Oupdate" at the bottom page here:

http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivision/Support/Harmonizers%20and%20Rack%20Products/H8000%20Series.aspx#documentation

There is also a detailed description on how to use the Keyspan adapter in the Harmonizer folder of the forums.

all the best

I

Wiseguy

Thanks for the information, i solved my problem, today i received a nos Sandisk 32MB CF card, i put the downloaded files on it and they transfered into the H8000FW without any problem. so the original Viking card was the problem in my case….. despite working perfect when used for saving programs…so that's maybe kind of strange, but i don't care, my problem has been solved…..5.3 is in 😉

Thanks again !

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.