H3000 how to do factory reset?

Home Forums Products Rackmount H3000 how to do factory reset?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Teledude

Hi all, I have an original H3000. Can someone tell me how to do a factory reset?

Also, I was going through the programs and the 4th key “expert” doesn’t seem to work on any programs. I thought it did, do I have non functional key? Any chance that someone has loaded programs in there that caused it to not have that key work? It has a lot of programs that I did not put on it, so I know at some point someone has loaded stuff or changed things significantly. I bought this a long time ago and never used it.  It was meant to satisfy musicians who wanted it for their own evil purposes.

Thoughts?

zengomi
      Participant

I think clearing RAM is equivalent to a factory reset. See attached screenshot from the manual.

As for your 4th soft key, it seems likely some sort of repair work is necessary. Just two days ago, my 2nd soft key stopped working. I haven’t decided what to do. I have no technical chops. Will share anything relevant at some point.

Best wishes!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Alas, no-one at Eventide knows anything about 3000's, since they are older than most of our people.

But, it is quite likely that your problem is just a bad switch, and replacements are still available.

I would suggest that you find a local tech, and have him check the switch. If it is bad, he may be able to find a replacement, or contact Eventide and we can send you one.

Be aware that it could be more than the switch, in which case you have to send it to someone who can fix it, but hopefully not.

zengomi
      Participant

nickrose, thank you for the sound advice. I’ve got someone in mind who might be able to determine if the problem is just a bad switch.

Teledude

ARGH! Well that’s sad that you can’t get this kind of info. Since the last post asking the question, I have sold the unit. However, I of course fixed the problem of the non working switch before the sale. Here’s how you do it on the fly:

First of all, buy a can of DeOxit5. Accept no less. Remove the screws holding the faceplate. Gently pull the face plate (with the faceplate electronics) from the unit and place the unit upside down.The face plate is only going to come out about 1/2″ before it’s going to start complaining. Anyway, douche each switch with a blast of DeOxit5 on the low setting. Let it sit there upside down for awhile. While the switch looks sealed, they aren’t 100% completely sealed, SOME cleaning vapors will still leach into the switch. It will be enough to help electrical contacts inside the switch. I’ve done this many many times for pots inside analog mixers, it’s amazing how that stuff can penetrate inside. If that doesn’t fix the problem do it again. If that doesn’t work let it sit overnight before you give up. This method completely made my non functional switch work again.

Teledude

Yes, the unit upside down so the top of the unit is down so the switches are close to you so you easily spray the square switches housings. Might as well spray all of them.Good luck

zengomi
      Participant

Thanks for clarifying that, Teledude!

Teledude

Yeah sure. So be sure to check back in and let me know that this methodology worked for you. All these units are old, and will definitely need service or replacement at some point soon. I’ve brought back some pots from the dead that most people would have given up on by repeated sprayings and exercise of the knob (twirling it many times while wet to clean internal wiper contact). I recently brought a 37 year old guitar pot to non scratchy performance that sounded terrible by a few sprays. So good luck

zengomi
      Participant

Success! Teledude, I really appreciate your guidance on the process.

I applied DeOxit5 to the 4 switches beneath the display, as well as to the Levels and Line switches. After 30 minutes or so, I checked the result. The problematic switch needed a couple of pushes to bring up the brackets. So I zapped it again. After a while I checked again. Noticeable improvement. Sometimes one push was enough.

After the 2nd DeOxit5 application, I called Studio Electronics because I wanted some feedback. Tess, who has hands-on experience with this process, said, based on the progress after two applications, a new switch was not necessary. She said if the switch was not fully operational I should continue applying contact cleaner as many as 10 times. 

The next day (today), a single push consistently brings up the brackets!

Before, during, and after the above, I was wrestling with purchasing an H9000 (not as a replacement). Success with servicing the H3000 might have contributed to deciding to go for it. Feeling I’ll have 2 discrete bases well-covered. 

Teledude

That’s great news! Glad I could help and that it went well for you.

zengomi
      Participant
      Teledude wrote:

ARGH! Well that’s sad that you can’t get this kind of info. Since the last post asking the question, I have sold the unit. However, I of course fixed the problem of the non working switch before the sale. Here’s how you do it on the fly:

First of all, buy a can of DeOxit5. Accept no less. Remove the screws holding the faceplate. Gently pull the face plate (with the faceplate electronics) from the unit and place the unit upside down.The face plate is only going to come out about 1/2″ before it’s going to start complaining. Anyway, douche each switch with a blast of DeOxit5 on the low setting. Let it sit there upside down for awhile. While the switch looks sealed, they aren’t 100% completely sealed, SOME cleaning vapors will still leach into the switch. It will be enough to help electrical contacts inside the switch. I’ve done this many many times for pots inside analog mixers, it’s amazing how that stuff can penetrate inside. If that doesn’t fix the problem do it again. If that doesn’t work let it sit overnight before you give up. This method completely made my non functional switch work again.

I called Eventide today. No switches in stock anymore. So I turned to Studio Electronics (where I bought my unit) and spoke with David Kulka. He said he has switches but recommended trying contact cleaner. Ordered some DeOxit5, as it happens. Glad I chose the ‘right’ brand. Have been wondering exactly how to go about applying it. 

Thank you, Teledude, for sharing the process that worked for you. If you wouldn’t mind, would you clarify what ‘upside down’ means? I my mind, that means the H3000 is rotated 180 degrees. Correct?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.