H7600 output level instability

Home Forums Products Rackmount H7600 output level instability

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      J20056
      Participant

I'm having a really debilitating problem with my H7600.
      If I create a simple stereo patch and SEND it, sometimes the left channel level simply drops to almost inaudible levels. If I shutdown everything, wait for a while, and do it again, then it's fine. This is not a VSigfile problem, because it also happens on factory presets.
      The problem is not downstream from the H7600, because I can mix my preamp's dry signal in the same channel (via SwitchBlade), and the volume level is normal.
      I simply do not understand this, and at this point, I have to assume that my H7600 has a defect and needs to be returned.
      Any ideas or tests I can run to confirm this before sending the unit back?

IDeangelis

First thing to do is isolate the H7600 from the rack. Disconnect it from the Switchblade and use/test it alone.

Secondly, you may want to also test different sets of cables.

These 2 tests should show if the problem is in the H7600 or elsewhere.

best

J20056
      Participant

Thanks, I should have known better. I changed the balanced cables with better ones, and so far so good. One cable was too short, and just reaching at an angle, so maybe that was why, I should have known.
      The only problem I have left is that the SwitchBlade inputs overloads from my TriAxis Mesa pre-amp (although I have the master output only at 5 out of 10) but the corresponding input levels into the H7600 are only at -15dB to -18dB. So I can't really get a hot signal into the H7600. I asked Ken at Sound Sculpture a week ago but haven't heard back yet. I know this is off topic, but I also know you are a SwitchBlade user, so in case you have some insights…

IDeangelis

The Eventide front panel LEDs , when the unit runs on analog input, indicate internal headroom saturation. Since this is very high, about +26 dB, you only need to light up the third or 4th led, which is what you report. That's fine.

I do not use a Switchblade as I found it not being able to properly handle real line level signals with strong headrooms. That's why I prefer true line level mixers.

best

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.