H7600 pitch shifter stuttering on drums

Home Forums Products Rackmount H7600 pitch shifter stuttering on drums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      flowerpower

Hi,

I have an Eventide H7600 and I need to use a pitch shifter preset to pitch up sequenced drums at +500 cents. The drums sounds are a snare, a hihat and a bassdrum and I input it thru the spdif. My problem is that the pitch shifter stutters a lot and sounds like a drumer with awfull timing skills. Then I listened the hihat alone (always at the same pitch and velocity in a 4/4 pattern) and is still stuttering, some hits sound like a retrigger. I have been trying different presets but all them have this stuttering on the H7600.

I did this trick in the past with my old DSP4000 with good results and I have decided to connect it. It's pitch shifters sound much better, less stuttering and when I raise the "low note" parameter, the formants sound much better, with a tight timing and the stutter almost disappears. The "low note" parameter is not doing almost any effect in the H7600.

I know that pitch shifters work better on monophonic voices with a clear pitch, but why the DSP4000 is handling the drums better than my H7600? are they using different algorythms? It's a known bug? Is there some pitch shifter preset optimized for drums on the 7600?

Best regards

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Do you have a good signal level – should be into the yellow on peaks ?

Beyond that, shifters are not at their best on noisy signals like drums, but I don't have an answer as to why your DSP4000 is better.

flowerpower

Hi Nick, thanks for your reply. I have been comparing the pitch shifters from dsp4000 versus h7600 and my conclusion is that the dsp 4000 sounds better on drums but the 7600 is better with voices and monophonic sounds. So what I did is transfer some of the old presets from the 4000 to the H7600 using a card and they sound the same as in the 4000 but much better and cleaner. I'm really happy to have some presets of the old 4000 in the new 7600 because the 4000 is really outdated and the power supply is making a lot of noise.

A last question, is there a way to transfer all the presets from the 4000 to a card to can copy all them to the H7600? my card is only 512 KB, will be enough? Will the H7600 have enough storage? I know I can do it one by one but first  I want to ask if there's a better and faster way, if not I will select the most usable ones.

Thanks for your time, kind regards

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You'll have to copy them one by one. Sorry.

The H7600 has much more storage than the 4000, but not enough for all of them. Equally, a 512K card will not be big enough for all of them.A 512k card will just fill the 7600.

Note also, that most, but not all of the 4000 presets will run on the 7600.

I can't tell you exactly how many the 7600 will hold, or which ones will be good. I would suggest you pick the ones that are most important to you.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.