H8000 as whammy pedal

Home Forums Products Rackmount H8000 as whammy pedal

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      gweston
      Participant

Has any one had success using the H8000 as a whammy pedal.

I spent a lot of time trying to calibrate a 1 octave up shift.

I used the “hold select” method on the two pitch settings and had a hell of a time getting it to go from zero to 1200 ct. even with a midi monitoring showing that I was passing 0- 127 it was only getting to 1192 ct.

Sometimes I would save and leave the preset and then come back and the range had a wacky 8 digit number instead of the 1200 ct I saved.

Even when I tricked it into working the actual performance response to moving the pedal was slow and uneven. Not at all like the H9.

Does anyone have any advice?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry, no advice. Just a partial explanation.

I think the problem is that it views 127 as 99.3% (127/128), so it never reaches the 100% that you would need to get an easy octave. You should be able to adjust the range setting to allow for this. (don't know about your wacky 8 digits).

The H8000 was designed as a studio device rather than a live performance instrument, so its remote inputs are mainly intended for parameter setting, rather than fast modulation. I recall that a few presets do have pedal inputs, but the above applies to the rest.

To act as a live performance device, you need very different dynamics, which are hard to obtain from a multiprocessor unit like the H8000. In addition you need smoothing of the modulated parameters to avoid "zipper" noise, which is difficult to achieve with the number of parameters on many H8000 programs. Horses and courses.

MFPhouse
      Participant

… i had the same Problem here. But i fixed it.

I feel better with cabling the controller in Vsig direct instead of via ” hold select “.

I build some Presets where 5 Pedals ( via CV – CC ) controlled parameters and now it works. What kind of Pedals do you use ? Some times there is a translation problem in between the Midi 127 value ( fix ) and ” your ” Value.

nickrose wrote:

The H8000 was designed as a studio device rather than a live performance instrument,

you are kidding wink…i bought this Maschine because this is the only Unit wich can do thinks like that in realtime.

DieHon
        Participant
        MFPhouse wrote:

… i had the same Problem here. But i fixed it.

I feel better with cabling the controller in Vsig direct instead of via ” hold select “.

I build some Presets where 5 Pedals ( via CV – CC ) controlled parameters and now it works. What kind of Pedals do you use ? Some times there is a translation problem in between the Midi 127 value ( fix ) and ” your ” Value.

nickrose wrote:

The H8000 was designed as a studio device rather than a live performance instrument,

you are kidding wink…i bought this Maschine because this is the only Unit wich can do thinks like that in realtime.

Hi! 

Can describe how you did it? I’m trying to replicate a whammy tone with my H8000.

By the way, did you compare the H8000 “whammy” to the real one? 

Thanks!

MFPhouse
      Participant

Can describe how you did it?

I did this with Vsig on XP via VB on an iMac

By the way, did you compare the H8000 “whammy” to the real one?

Sorry , no.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.