H8000/EveNet issues

Home Forums Products Rackmount H8000/EveNet issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      homer
      Participant

Hi,

I recently made a deal and got a H8000fw and an EveNet controller. I have been playing around for a while and things worked out fine. Now I cannot recall for sure but I think since I updated the H8000 to the latest OS two weeks ago when I dial in presets via the EveNet the unit will automatically call up a certain patch out of the blue or sometimes exactly at the very moment when it is about to build up the UI in the LCD display. Annoying as I want to tweak te parameters while in front of my console right between the monitors…..

Nevertheless I haved tried to change the cable length parameter on the EveNet thinking it could be a problem related to connection issue. Unfortunately I was not able to make the controller work with any other setting than the 300, i.e. with 50 it will just blink and not connect to the H8000. 

What I will do next is first of all checking if this is happening w/o the EveNet, too. If yes I will try to go back to an earlier OS version as I cannot recall any issue on the previous version.

Would be cool if you could let me know if this is something you heard about before and what the solution is. I would wait for your answer before going through all of what I stated above to fix it.

Thx

John

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Don't quite understand what you are saying, but you do maybe have a connection issue. Things to try:

1) Make sure everything is terminated properly as described in the UM. My guess is that it is not, and that this is the problem.

2) If you are sure that the above is not the case, try different cables.

3) If all else fails, go back to your dealer.

homer
      Participant

Not sure what is unclear, Nick. I will try again: When I dial in a preset via the EveNet it will sometimes jump to a specific patch (always the same one) and it does this autonomously w/o any further interaction from my side. Like I said will also occur when you dial in another patch but before the UI will be fully built up in the display of the EveNet. I've changed the ethernet cable but it did not help. In a sense my question was also if the EveNet should be functional with other length parameter values. Just for fun I tried to change from 300 to a lower or higher value but that always leaves the EveNet unresponsive. 

Anyway, I will check the termination….and no, unfortunatley I don't have a dealer as it was bought used.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Termination is important.  I also recall that the length value has to be set the same at both ends.

Not sure what you mean by "dial in." Maybe turning the wheel ?

homer
      Participant

Hi Nick,

in fact when I talk of dialing in I mean of course loading a patch by pressing the "select" button.

Anyway, I have taken the lid of the 8000, removed the firewird card and checked the jumpers underneath and they are all in place (in this case J2803 is the one to lock out for in the first place, right?).

I just restarted the unit some minutes ago and things are fine w/o the EveNet so far. I will reconnect the controller and I will try to find out what triggers that behavior.

Funny enough when I changed length to 50 yesterday the EveNet worked fine for an hour or so but suddendly started again. The only thing left for me to do is downgrade the unit to a previous OS level and see what this will do…If you have any other suggestions plz let me know…

homer
      Participant

BTW the routing utility crashes quite a lot on my Win7 laptop, so which serial to usb adaptor does Eventide recommend for a Win7 64bit OS?

Thanks

John

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry – for obvious reasons we cannot offer computer support. For this, you must talk to your computer supplier.

But, if you can give us information about problems with our products such as crashes, we will certainly look into them. It would help us, and hence you, if you could give us enough information to enable us to duplicate the problem.

homer
      Participant

Hi Nick,

I wasn't exactly asking for computer support but simply for a recommendation which adaptor to choose. Let's put it different: What brand/model do you guys @ Eventide use working with VSIG etc on a PC?

Thx…

John

homer
      Participant

Some update:

I detached the EVENet controller and had the 8000 run for a while on its own and voila, out of the blue sky it changes patches w/o the controller plugged in, so its definitely nothing wrong with the EveNet remote. Based on this I can see only two possible causes: Battery life or the 5.6 update. Therefore I just downgraded to 5.5 in order to do another round of testing and so far I did not encounter the issue anymore. I'll keep you posted but looks like a bug…

Regards

John

homer
      Participant

Ok Nick,

had the machine running on 5.5 for an hour or more and until now the problem did not resurface. Not sure what to make of all of this but I won't upgrade or go
      back to 5.6. for now. I don't know if anyone else has encountered something similar. I just hope I don't have any issues with bugs in 5.5 that 5.6 was supposed to fix which would force me to reconsider this.

John

razo

I am using a Prolific usb-serial adapter on my systems sucessfully.

homer
      Participant

Hi Azo,

I had one from another manufacturer before and the driver support was miserable. Funny enough on my search for working Win7 64 bit driver someone suggested that I could try the Prolific drivers as most of the adaptors out there would be just relabeled Prolifics anyway – and it did the job.

Anyway, since the adaptor didn't have the right screws to put it tightly on the serial port of my Harmonizer I changed over to a LogiLink adaptor simply because my local hardware dealer had those on sale. Now that thing seems also to be just a relabeled Prolific.

I mean, I cannot really complain. t kind of works. I can do the VSIG stuff and so on but like I wrote the connection app just crashes while transmitting the info to the Harmonizer or vice versa so I think there must be some incompatibility with either the driver or the hardware.

Looking at the Prolific Homepage I can see that there are about 6 different subtypes of USB serial adaptors. Can you tell me which one of them you use? Appreciated…

John

rmccomb

I had a large number of crashes with the Routing Utility program, it turns out you don't need to use the serial COM port at all – set Comms Preferences to MIDI: Input and Output set to Eventide Dice.

It works a million times faster – through the Firewire connection I believe.

The dialog box for this is bit non-standard and confusing – you select non-MIDI-Serial by selecting the tab, then OK. (A radio button group would be more standard).

Same deal for VSig.

Cheers,

Rob

homer
      Participant

Man, this would be cool! I have no time to test it right now but that could be the ticket. Thanks a lot.  Where did you get this info from ? Is it buried somewhere in the manuals?

Regards

John

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.