H8000 Latency

Home Forums Products Rackmount H8000 Latency

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike

I'm in the process of upgrading my Orville to an H8000FW and would like to know if there is an improvement in the latency. I also need to know what latency I will need to compensate for.

If anyone has any tricks for using an H8000 in an effects loop on a DAW, I would be most grateful to know them. I've gotten spoiled by the convenience of plug-ins, but it is impossible to come close to a lot of Eventide harmonizer patches with any plug-in. However the flanging from doing a send/return on a DAW with a harmonizer can be a problem.

TIA;

Mike

TidesN

I have 512 buffer selected and I am getting 13ms in my Cubase 4.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

There are various sources of latency.

1) With a FireWire connection, the latency is determined mainly by the buffer size – this is given by buffer size divided by sample rate in seconds. So, a 512 byte buffer at 48kHz will give a latency (each way) of 512/48000 = 10.7mS.

2) If you are using analog inputs, depending on they type of A/D converter, there can be a delay of a few mS.

3) Different effects can cause a delay. Obviously delay effects do this, and reverb tails are delayed. Also, pitch shifters tend to have a minimum delay of about 20mS. Other effects may have variable amounts of delay.

Some DAWs have delay compensation. Otherwise, best results will often be given by using the wet/dry settings on the H8000, or if you want to mix them yourself, make sure the H8000 output is 100% wet, so that the delayed 'dry' signal is not mixed with the real dry signal.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.