H8000 problem: comb filter because of dry signal

Home Forums Products Rackmount H8000 problem: comb filter because of dry signal

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      soundsubs
      Participant

hello group— has anyone else seen this behavior in their H8000?

im hearing a "comb filter" when the wet and dry signal are mixed together in the h8000 via my external mixer. its like even though i have set the wet/dry to 100% wet, theres still dry signal getting through (although delayed by 1ms or thereabouts). this is most evident on reverbs. also, in bypass mode – relay– (fx A) it does the same thing. this i would expect perhaps in DSP bypass mode, but not relay.

im using it as a send effect from my mixer. i replaced my eclipse with an h8000 with the same cabling, etc, and this wasnt happening. i am running OS 5.5

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

As previously mentioned, you will always get a comb filter effect with almost any digital equipment if you mix equipment dry with actual dry on an external mixer. This is because processing introduces a delay, and even the A/D/A converters introduce a delay of around a millisecond.

But, if you are getting this with relay bypass, the problem is probably somewhere else. Connect the in and out cables together (which is what relay bypass does) and see if you get the same result.

soundsubs
      Participant

thanks nick.

but what i'm saying is that even at 100% wet (program 7416 "plate reverb") it still happens.

im trying to use VSIG to see if theres a dry signal anywhere it shouldnt be. doesnt appear so.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Check the routing as well as the B engine – either could introduce a dry signal.

soundsubs
      Participant

i wonder if it has to do with my cabling input?

i am sending a mono send to the H8000. i've tried splitting it with a mono splitter and going into input 1+2. it also appears if i remove the splitter and put the signal straight into only input 1.

in bypassing FXB and removing cable, comb filter is still there.

soundsubs
      Participant

cable test results in good, so its narrowed down to being internal to the H8000.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Again, check your routing. If you have a parallel routing, and you bypass dsp B, depending on the bypass mode, you may get dry signal.

soundsubs
      Participant

if im looking at it right in VSIG, it looks like preset 7416 (Plate Reverb) has a dry signal passing through. Can anyone verify?

6510, on the other hand, doesnt have this comb filter when recombined.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You're right – the output mixers are set up so that the reverb signal is added to a full level dry signal. As a result, this one would not be suitable for use in an effect send/return environment.

You could fix it this by setting the mixer dry gains to 0.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.