H8000FW 5.5 as a live soundcard

Home Forums Products Rackmount H8000FW 5.5 as a live soundcard

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      unguitar
      Participant

Hi,

since the introduction of 5.5 I feel like I have to test this idea again.
      Here it goes:
      I use a mixed hardware and software live processing setup, in which I am using an Rme Fireface 400 as a router/mixer and to send audio from the analog world into the digital one. The digital one has Audiomulch as a host, control surface and Vst player.
      I have several hardware units connected via cables ( both analog and digital) and vsts running in Audimulch.
      I was considering a lighter setup, where I could leave a part of the rack ( so to split it in two smaller racks) at home and bring just the H8000 and the laptop with me.

To be able to do this, I would need the H8000FW allow me to do the following:
      -have a single mono analog input to be routed to both the A and B machines ( and this is possible)
      -have the stereo output of each machine assigned respectively to specific H8000 firewire channels so to have their signal available in the digital domain ( seen as inputs in Audiomulch)
      -have the chance to assign ( route) the software outputs ( Audimulch outputs) to specific H8000 firewire channels and assign them to analog and digital outputs of the H8000 so to have the digital signal back to the analog world.

Is this possible ?

my best,
      Luca

IDeangelis

The first 2 points are indeed possible

(-have a single mono analog input to be routed to both the A and B
      machines ( and this is possible)
      -have the stereo output of each
      machine assigned respectively to specific H8000 firewire channels so to
      have their signal available in the digital domain ( seen as inputs in
      Audiomulch)

for the third one, everything depends on the software, as you'll be doing the routing in it.

You should simply try it.

best

I

unguitar
      Participant

Ok,

I tried to dive into the setup.

I don't have enough familiarity with the routing options availble as I did my setup a long time ago and I have never had the need to tweak it since then. The scenario I am trying to check is far too complex to allow me to understand if it is possible or not in a short time.

This is what I would need to know:

-Is it possible to assign an analog input ( pre machine A/B) to a firewire output ? This is what you need to bring the clean analog signal into the digital domain and available as a firewire sound source to process it inside your audio application.

-Is it possible to have a firewire signal source feed the machine A/B ? This is what you need to have the signal go to the processing machines still inside the software domain. So you can send vst outs to the H8000 machines, for example.

-It is possible to assign a firewire input to a physical analog output ? This is what you need to have the output of your sound application go back to the analog world.

Please note that whenever I am talking about firewire in/out-puts I am referring to the
      H8000FW ones.

So, thank you anyone who has the time ( thing I am missing a lot) to try to get into this.

My best,

Luca

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Hi Luca – if you have a PC you should try the ROUTING utility, available on the H8000 support page. Otherwise ..

Luca:

-Is it possible to assign an analog input ( pre machine A/B) to a firewire output ?

Not directly. You would have to load a "Thru" preset in A or B and then use it to feed the FW output. Or, connect an unused input to an unused output (using Vsig) and use that to give you the Thru connection.

Luca:

-Is it possible to have a firewire signal source feed the machine A/B ?

Yes. You must first connect the FW input to one of the "Main Inputs" on the [inputs] screen. Then you can connect that to the effect (dsp A or B) input.

Luca:

-It is possible to assign a firewire input to a physical analog output ?

Not directly. You would have to load a "Thru" preset in A or B and then
      use it to feed the FW output.

I apologize for the complexity. The unit is most easily used with a computer as an external effects unit, which sends and receives audio via FireWire. You can certainly do other things, but it requires more understanding.

IDeangelis

The big picture to understanding H8000FW routing possibilities and limitations:

Things to Know about Routing
      When you are ready, see The Comprehensive Input / Output Scheme for more details. Until then …
      • The effects engine (the DSP section) of the H8000FW has eight inputs and outputs
      •Only 8 inputs can be connected to the effects engine
      •Only 8 outputs can be connected from the effects engine
      •The analog inputs can only be used as input channels 1-4 (7-8 on H8000)
      •The analog outputs are always connected as output channels 1-4 (7-8 on H8000)
      •The AES XLR inputs can only be used as input channels 5-8 (1-8 on H8000)
      •The AES XLR outputs are always connected as output channels 5-8 (1-8 on H8000)
      •S/P DIF 1/2 in can replace AES 1/2 in
      •S/P DIF 1/2 out is driven with the same signal as AES 1/2 out
      •ADAT out can be fed from the effects engine or from the ADAT inputs
      •In addition, for the H8000FW
      •S/P DIF 3/4 in can replace AES 11/12 in
      •S/P DIF 3/4 out is driven with the same signal as AES 11/12 out
      •ADAT1-8 out can be fed from the effects engine or from the ADAT, AES11-18 or
      FireWire inputs
      •AES11-18 out can be fed from the effects engine or from the ADAT, AES11-18 or
      FireWire inputs
      •FireWire outputs can be fed from the effects engine or from the ADAT or AES11-
      18 inputs
      •FireWire outputs can not be fed directly from FireWire inputs

from the User Manual (page 24)

I

unguitar
      Participant

Yes, I forgot about the routing utility !

I see, the option to route analog ins/outs is limited.

Sure the H8000FW was not built to use it as I was curious to do, but I think it was worth a try, I will try again with the next OS release 😉

Still, i think it would be amazing to be able to use it as an audio card, processor and router; it has all  what is needed and would possibly be the only processor to have the potential to do it.

The best possible integration between software and hardware processing.

thanks for your time,

Luca

IDeangelis

Luca

the I/O routing possibilities haven't changed with OS updates. It's just the way the hardware is and will stay as it is. The unit can be used as an audio card, processor and router within its capabilities, like any piece of gear. Beyond these capabilities, a specific set of hardware (and software) would be obviously needed.

I

unguitar
      Participant

Obviously,  indeed.

thanks again for your time

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.