H8000FW: are 1/4 inch in/out jacks balanced when TRS plug is used?

Home Forums Products Rackmount H8000FW: are 1/4 inch in/out jacks balanced when TRS plug is used?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      rhoge

I am considering connecting the inputs and outputs of an H8000FW to a balanced patch bay using a DB25 to 8xTRS cable (I want the connections balanced and using this cable will simplify some other things).  The manual is a bit vague about whether the 1/4 inch jacks are balanced for both input and output when a stereo (TRS) connection is used.  It is noted that using a mono 1/4 inch plug will obviously unbalance the connections, but otherwise it's not really discussed in detail other than saying that "The H8000FW’s analog inputs accept either mono or stereo 1/4" connectors or balanced
      XLR connectors
      "

Does this mean that stereo 1/4" connectors can be plugged in, but the resultant connection will not be balanced?

Thanks for any information on this question.

Rick

rhoge

Sorry – was kind of spacing out when I wrote this.  Of course only the *inputs* are XLR/0.25in combi jacks (suppose it's kind of hard to make an XLR male combi).

I'm fairly confident that a 1/4 in TRS input will remain balanced, but would appreciate any confirmation.

Cheers,

Rick

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I'm going to assume your db25 adaptor is also lost in space, as this is for AES output.

The 1/4" inputs will accept either a TR mono unbalanced or a TRS balanced or unbalanced. Essentially, the signal is on the T and the R is grounded, so it will unbalance a balanced connection.

rhoge

Thanks – that answers my question.

My understanding is that DB25 is ok for analog (although standard analog XLR cables are not ok for AES).

Rick

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Assuming you are referring to the DB25 on the back of the H8000FW, this is truly AES. The same connector can also be used for analog, but not by us.

rhoge

Sorry this got so confusing – the routing I am looking at is:  Switchcraft StudioPatch 9625 DB25 outputs to H8000FW analog inputs (on combo jacks).  Those channels on the patch bay are fed by other analog lines.

I had a spare DB25<->TRS snake, and wanted to know if this would preserve balance if the TRS was connected to the H8000FW inputs (would have avoided purchasing a DB25<->XLRM snake).  Seems it does not so I got an additional DB25<->XLRM snake for that.

Understood that the DB25 connect on the H8000FW is dedicated to AES.

Thanks,

Rick

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.