H8000FW DSP B won’t output via analog

Home Forums Products Rackmount H8000FW DSP B won’t output via analog

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      cbentltey
      Participant

I'm a bit stumped on this one. Up until recently, I had my H8000FW connected via ADAT and used it as two separate processors and when my setup changed a bit, decided to use the analog ins/outs instead. DSP A Receives it's inputs at 1&2 and outputs at 1&2 and DSP B is set to use 3&4 analog in and out. I set the routing first via the front panel and then tried the software but can't get an analog signal out of DSP B. Once the cables were double checked and the routing was confirmed I checked the meters for DSP B. Input shows signal at analog ins, machine in shows signal, machine out shows signal, and output meters signal only on AES and not on analog. After several attempts at using the routing software to reconfigure and even tried to send it to analog 1&2 that are confirmed to be working but still got no analog output signal from DSP B.

Am I missing something simple? At this stage I think I've logically eliminated most everything I can think of but could easily have missed something. Also, I'm pretty sure if the signal is showing at DSP B's machine ins and outs that it's passing through, especially since it shoes up at the proper AES connection but just not hte analog out. The I/O identifiers for both programs(A & B) are listed as "22" and DSP A passes signal as it should.  Help? My brain hurts… sorry if I've missed a nydetails.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Try Factory Routing "15 Analog Dual Stereo". This should do what you want. If it does, compare and contrast with what you have and you may see the problem.

One possibility – you may not have changed the sync source from ADAT to something more suitable.

cbentltey
      Participant

Thanks for the suggestions! Selected the Analog Dual Stereo preset and veriefied analog ins 3&4 feeding DSP B in 1&@ and DSP B out 1&2 feeding analog out 3&4. Still nothing audible from analog outs 3&4 and nothing showing at analog out 3&4 on the internal meter. DSP B machine out shows signal. I have not tried to route DSP A to analog 3&4 yet to see if I can get signal to those outputs at all.

I also checked sync settings and clock source is set to internal 48kHz.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Mysterious. Certainly worthwhile to do as you suggest and route DSP A to analog 3&4 and see what happens.

Before you do this, try exchanging the 1&2 output leads with the 3&4 outputs – my guess is that it is a cabling issue.

cbentltey
      Participant

Cabling was my first though but I eliminated it at the onset since I realized routing might be a bit tricky. Currently running signal in to DSP A and am able to hear signal at analog 1&2 or 3&4 depending on where I route to so that verifies that 3&4 have good cables and also are functioning. Tired signal into DSP B again and am unable to get DSP B to output to any of the analog outs after making the appropriate routing selections. DSP B will output to any of the digital connections but simply won't transfer signal to the analog outs. This is also verified by the internal meters as showing nothing coming out of DSP B on analog 3&4 but shows signal on AES/EBU 3&4. If DSP B was passing signal to the analog outs as routed, it should show on the front panel meter when selecting levels/Source: Outputs. Still using "analog dual stereo" routing scheme.

Is there a way to re-initialize or reset the unit that might clear up it's refusal to route DSP B to analog? Thanks for all the suggestions!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Running out of ideas ..

You could try a CLEAR SETUP (press and hold SETUP on second startup screen).

A few other questions:

1) When you fed DSP A to 3&4 did they show on the output meters ?

2) Have you tried this with many different presets ?

3) Have you tried routing DSP B to AES/EBU 3&4 ?

cbentltey
      Participant

1) DSP A routed to analog 3&4 shows up on the output meters.

2)Tried several different presets to no avail.

3)DSP B will route to AES/EBU 3&4 and display on the output meters, it just won't output to any of the analog selections. DSP B is currently connected to analog 3&4 and AES/EBU 3&4 and is only passing signal to the AES output. The meters also confirm the lack of signal at the analog out from DSP B but show signal routed to AES/EBU 3&4. I know DSP B is passing audio, just not to the analog outs since I can use the meter settings to follow the audio. 

Going to give CLEAR SETUP a try and see if it knocks some sense into it… or me… Stick out tongue

cbentltey
      Participant

CLEAR SETUP did not provide a solution. Everything points to an issue with the way DSP B communicates with the analog outs since it'll pass audio to any of the digital outputs and it seems every logical explanation has been exhausted.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I have one other idea. More questions:

1) Can DSP B feed analog 1&2 ?

2) Do monolithic presets (those marked with II) work properly ?

Also, I'd like you to run some self tests. Hold down '1' at the FIRST startup screen, release key when requested, then enter 750 [ENT] [SELECT]. Let this run for a few minutes until P=10. Let me know if E or T are not equal to 0. Then try 403 [ENT] [SELECT] and do the same. Power the unit down when you are done.

cbentltey
      Participant

1) DSP B won't feed analog 1&2 either.

2) Tried Monolithic preset 3057 "Super CH Strip 48k  II" and it did not pass signal. Checked the meters an had input on 1&2, Input to machine on 1&2, and not output from machine. Tried 4209 "4B X-over Hall II" with the same results. No meters flashing on machine output. I'm assuming I'm using the right methodology to trace the signal by checking the meters in this way to see where it disappears?

I ran both tests until p=10 and both E and T remained at 0 each time.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I can't see what it is but I fear you have a sophisticated hardware problem in the inter-DSP area. Best  contact suppport@eventide.com. Sorry.

cbentltey
      Participant

Thanks for the assistance!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.