H8000FW – FireWire (clock source disabled) and Word Clock

Home Forums Products Rackmount H8000FW – FireWire (clock source disabled) and Word Clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      homers
      Participant

Hello,

I’m a litte confused concering FireWire and Word Clock sync.

Based on the manual (OS 5.5) page 85:

When an H8000FW is connected to a computer by Firewire, the clock source is set by the computer and the source control on the H8000FW is disabled. This is because it is important that the computer an the H8000FW remain synchronized.”

and on page 157:

“The FireWire link contains a sample clock to which the H8000FW can be synchronized if all other approaches fail, but this is not recommended except as a last resort as the quality of this clock is not high and it can increase jitter other bad things,”

So my question is how can I avoid the FireWire clock issues/bad things if the clock source comes disabled when chosing the FireWire connection?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The intention is that the sample rate and clock source be controlled from the computer to avoid things getting out of step.

You should use the "Eventide Dice" control panel app if you can't control them from a DAW.

homers
      Participant

@nicrose

Thank you for the quick reply

I’m still waiting for my H8000FW to be delivered so I can only go of the manual here but what you are telling me is that it is possible to use the word clock generated from my motu PCI-424 (for my HD192s) and use it as a clocking source for the H8000FW when connected via Firewire but I have to use the dice software to make the change in the setting of the H8000FW?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Largely correct, except:

1) Typically, you set things up once, and don't change them often, so it is not really an issue.

2) The H8000 will remember its settings.

3) Some DAWs will be able to launch the Control Panel, so you can do it without another App.

4) If you hate the Control Panel, you can use the H8000 front panel when the computer is off.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.