h8000FW High Pitched Whine

Home Forums Products Rackmount h8000FW High Pitched Whine

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      eponto1
      Participant

I’m a new h8000 user. I had an email exchange with tech support and sent a movie of the sound. They replied that I needed to get the input level up to show all LEDs, maybe a grounding issue with XLRs or it is hardware. I thought I’d check with the forum. Has anyone else experience this problem? I have full LED levels and it occurs on all programs though it is manipulated by different FX programs. I have new XLRs. I can somewhat diminish it by manipulating the levels but it is always there. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Evan

eponto1
      Participant

A bit more data. No input, 1 XLR out from ANA1. Power up unit from cold, no ring/whine. A few minutes later as machine heats up ring starts and gets louder. Sounds like hardware?

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        eponto1 wrote:

A bit more data. No input, 1 XLR out from ANA1. Power up unit from cold, no ring/whine. A few minutes later as machine heats up ring starts and gets louder. Sounds like hardware?

Could be – hard to tell without seeing it. Probably not.

Also –

1) does this apply on all presets ?

2) does this apply on dsp bypass ?

3) can we assume that your gain settings are those you would use with your instrument ? Put enough gain after any digital equipment and you will hear bad things.

4) can we assume that you have done as requested and set up your signal level or input gain to light all the green leds ? If not, DO IT !

Otherwise, if it is under warranty, you should contact support@eventide.com about sending it in. If not, contact them about having it serviced.

eponto1
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

eponto1 wrote:

Could be – hard to tell without seeing it. Probably not.

Also –

1) does this apply on all presets ?

2) does this apply on dsp bypass ?

3) can we assume that your gain settings are those you would use with your instrument ? Put enough gain after any digital equipment and you will hear bad things.

4) can we assume that you have done as requested and set up your signal level or input gain to light all the green leds ? If not, DO IT !

Otherwise, if it is under warranty, you should contact support@eventide.com about sending it in. If not, contact them about having it serviced.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for responding.

1) The sound happens with all presets.

2) It also happens with bypass.

3/4) Normal gain settings where I light up most of the LEDs results with the noise. I can make it somewhat tolerable by bringing the imnput level down to 1 LED but it is still there if I turn up the output level or turn up the amp. I have been able to practice at the 1 LED fairly effectively but the high pitched noise is still annoying and can be heard in recordings.

The weird thing is what I mentioned. I turn the unit on from not being on overnight. Initially the noise is not there. After a few minutes it starts and gets louder making me think it is some sort of heat issue.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

This is usually caused by ground loops or bad cables, but since it seems to be level sensitive in your case, it could be an A/D or D/A fault.

support@eventide.com

eponto1
      Participant

I’ve done the cable dance, but I’ll give it anothet try by taking it to another building and try more cables before sending it in. Thanks for your help.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.