H8000FW – Midi / Firewire / VSIG questions

Home Forums Products Rackmount H8000FW – Midi / Firewire / VSIG questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Rusty
      Participant

Hi,

I had some pretty stupid questions regarding the firewire capabilities of the H8000FW; so on the basis of the only stupid questions are the ones that aren't asked:

a) With the H8000FW connected over firewire, I can send up to 8 channels of audio to the unit, and receive up to 8 channels of audio back post fx?

b) I can use Firewire on the H8000FW for midi purposes?

Or in other words; if I have the H8000FW connected over firewire; there is no need for me to use the midi in/out ports of the H8000FW.

I would still be able to send program change and control change messages in my host application (Cubase 4) ?

c) Can I use VSig with the H8000FW via firewire? (Again, bypassing the need for midi cables)

In brief, can I use the H8000FW with only a firewire connection and not have to connect it via audio or midi cables and be able to run 8 channels of audio in and 8 channels of audio out, full midi capabilites, and edit via VSig?

IDeangelis

Hi Rusty

the plan is to enable FireWire for all system communication, including MIDI and Vsig. I'm not sure how much is currently implemented, besides audio channels. Others may join in the thread to help.

Yes, you can have 8 audio channels running in and out, on a single FW cable.

all the best

I

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

a) With the H8000FW connected over firewire, I can send up to 8
      channels of audio to the unit, and receive up to 8 channels of audio
      back post fx?

You can actually send and receive 16 channels, but routing limitations may restrict the usefulness

b) I can use Firewire on the H8000FW for midi purposes? .

You can. This works better in V5.3 than in previous versions.

c) Can I use VSig with the H8000FW via firewire? (Again, bypassing the need for midi cables)

You can. With the H8000FW connected, its MIDI channels should be selectable in Vsig. There is alas no significant speed increase.

Rusty
      Participant

Hi Nick and Italo,

Thanks for the replies, answered all my questions.

One firewire cable it is then. I could see myself living with only 8i/o (k.i.s.s. concept)  and if I can do midi and vsig, then I'd be rocking.

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

nickrose:

You can. With the H8000FW connected, its MIDI channels should be selectable in Vsig. There is alas no significant speed increase.

I use a serial cable. Is Firewire faster?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

ThreeFingersOfLove:

I use a serial cable. Is Firewire faster?

Maybe slightly faster, but nothing that you would notice…

Gripp

Hi all!

Recently upgraded from an Eclipse to the H8000 FW.

I just gave MIDI via FW Dice a workout and everything, like PC, CC, Routing, Vsig, and Sysex, works great both ways over FW but not MIDI clock. What's up with that?

I tried syncing to midi clock both ways over a regular midi interface and that was perfectly fine. But when I do it over FW midi I get nothing. No clock in although it is set up right.

All other midi activity is good and I can see them using MIDI ox as a midi monitor on my laptop. But no clock activity neither when sending clock to H800FW , I can see busy led working but no tempo change,  nor getting anything from the DICE port when setting midi clock = out and tempo source = internal.

Best!

/Per

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Oops – looks like a bug. Never heard of nyone using MIDIclock over FireWire.

MIDIclock is one of a group of special real-time MIDI messages that are handled differently from normal MIDI traffic, so it is easy to see how it might have been missed.

We'll fix it in a future release.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.