H8000FW Operating Manual’s author

Home Forums Products Rackmount H8000FW Operating Manual’s author

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      drkam6

Who wrote the operating manual of the H8000FW, may I ask…? Just curious.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Many people – I was one of them. But, since no-one needs to read it, it probably doesn't matter.

It's very hard to find good technical writers these days – almost as hard as to find technical readers …

tmoravan
      Participant

Actually I appreciate a well-written manual that has both a 'Quick Start – do this stuff' section and a detailed description of the configurations, parameters, and presets.  It certainly helped when I picked up a second H8000FW (used) and the previous owner had a very customized I/O setup that I had to edit for my configuration.

You get in a groove with a piece of gear, using a subset of its capabilites most of the time.  When you need to branch out (for example, extended MIDI control over parameter values and mapping to CCs), a manual that gets you up to speed quickly is a godsend.

Plus, reading through the preset desriptions can be faster than manually loading each one looking for a particular effect as a starting point.

I'd put the H8000 manual in the – better than most category. 

razo

> Plus, reading through the preset desriptions can be faster than manually
      loading each one looking for a particular effect as a starting point.

You know that you can load a new program just by the press of a footswitch?

tmoravan
      Participant

Sure, but it takes time to load the preset and sometimes there's some other setup needed to fully utilize it, etc.  There's also the linear versus random access thing.

My point was simply that sometimes when I'm casting about for a different effect, a quick readthrough can suggest some starting points and they may not necessarily be contiguous preset numbers.

splitrmx
      Participant

I like the various funny bits thrown into the manual, eg: " Use the professional (AES/EBU) protocol unless you have a compelling reason to do otherwise … you are a professional, aren't you ?"

and

"Note: Like fine china, Memory Cards are fragile:

– Treat them with respect.

– Don’t lie to them. "

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.