H8000fw plugin style

Home Forums Products Rackmount H8000fw plugin style

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Dyonight
      Participant

Hi!

Is there any chances the H8000fw will ever work as plugin, like the UAD series firewire or PCI card or TC powercore, I mean without interferring with my sound card ASIO drivers?

timothyhill

Which DAW are you using? I know that Cubase 5 and later allows you to use any piece of hardware as a plugin, and I think I've heard of several others that do as well. You can always route audio through the H8000FW and record the results. That's not quite as flexible as a plugin, but can get the same results.

Dyonight
      Participant

mmmm don't know about Cubase but looks interesting…. do you mean it can take the 2 firewire connection of the H8000fw and use it's 16 channels as a plugin without interfering with the audio interface? Or do I have to hook the H8000fw to my I/O and setup an external insert in Cubase?

I use Sonar X1 in Windows 7 and know I can make and external insert but I must use some of my interface I/O and that's what I try to avoid.  The other problems are the ASIO limitation so if I hook the H8000fw with Firewire it must not be percieved as an audio interface…. hence use another kind of driver which I don't know…. like those used by the firewire UAD-2 maybe…. 

timothyhill

No, it's an external insert, sounds about like what you've got in Sonar. It's cool that it handles all the latency, etc., (I'd bet Sonar does, too), but it does take up a pair of ins & outs to do it. I'm pretty sure that you can use the H8000FW as an audio interface by itself, too, (or at least that's my understanding from reading the manual and the forums), just not at the same time as your main interface, which leads me to my next point…

What really bothers me is that you can't combine interfaces in Windows like you can on a Mac, unless the interface manufacturer has built in hardware expansion (like some cards by Lynx, Apogee, etc.). This is one way that the Mac really is superior to the PC, aggregate devices. But, I'm a die-hard PC guy. All my stuff is Windows based and the expense of switching everything over just isn't worth it, to me. I really do wish someone would address this, though, and I'm pretty sure it'd have to be either the DAW companies or more likely Microsoft, as I don't think it's something that a driver by itself has any control over.

So, unfortunately, while I'd hoped to offer an alternative solution, it doesn't look like I have any ideas you haven't tried. Sorry… I do agree that having a native hardware-plug-in interface for the H8000FW would be nice, or for the Eclipse, or 2016, or even the stompboxes. Even if it was an additional-cost option.

In my case, I'd be using the H8000 during mixdown, so giving up a few channels from my interface isn't that big of a deal to me, even though I have to repatch everything. Of course, that's just me in my situation.

Dyonight
      Participant

Yeah you're damn right…. device aggregation for Windows would be wonderful.  WDM driver don't tempt me so it won't be an option and Sonar runs only on windows so a Mac is out of question for me.

I'll be using it mainly for mixdown either but since my control surface is hooked to my interface (V-studio 700) that would be a major pain in the … to rewire everything and use the H8000fw as the main interface.  I'll have to re-think my setup and sacrifice some I/O…

Siem
      Participant

I used to work on a PC, can't Plogue Bidule do on windows what you're describing?

Just make sure you slave the clock of the Eventide or the sound card.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.