H8000FW questions

Home Forums Products Rackmount H8000FW questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 39 reply threads
  • Author
      Patill
      Participant

Hello, 

I´m getting an H8000FW and I just read through the Vsig manual. I wnated to know what it is with the 4 inputs and 4 outputs. Does that mean if you create an effect and start with input 2 and end with output 2, it can only be heared if you plug your cable into input 2 and output 2 of the unit? I´m a little confused by those many inputs and outputs you can use in this program :). When would you need 2 inputs?

Also, I´m wanna connect my guiar amplifier to the Eventide, and I wanna connect it to my Digidesign Rack 003 as a Send/Return effects unit at the same time. How would I do that? I mean usually I would go like In/Out 1 for the guitar and In/Out 2 for the Digidesign unit. Or can/should this also be done with the digital i/o?

It would really be cool if someone could help me out, I´m so happy getting it soon :).

IDeangelis

Hi Patill

you're in for a lot of fun! Just consider that the number of physical inputs/outputs as a wide possibility to connect the uinit to different working setups. The unit is designed to work in mono in/stereo out – stereo i/o – stereo i/quad o – stereo i/5.1 o – surround 5.1 i/o – octal mono i/o. These are presets i/o configurations that can be created in Vsig. There is another place where hardware I/O configurations can be made (and should!)…it's the unit itself. The H8000 has routings! You can set the inputs and outputs on your unit, deciding which work and to/from which plug/DSP it is connected. There is even a Windows applications you can use to create your routings…called…Routing utility. Routings are very powerful and open up possibilities on your unit. They are explained in the User Manual.

A 2 I/O preset is created to process a full stereo program, something you may want to have in a studio environment…but such preset might be very cool on your gtr too…so you can route the physical input (say number) 1 of the H8000 to both inputs of the presets…and ou'll have a mono in/stereo out preset, without the need to go in Vsig and mod the structure.

The path to full understanding and use of this wonderful unit is a complete reading of the manual to understand its features and limitations. There are some as all human works do. Then proceed to create your own routings, according to personal needs….name and store them internally for future use.

all the best

I

Patill
      Participant

ok, I´m actually in the middle of reading the manual. Man that thing is complicated…I read the Eclipse manual and the one of the H7600, but the H8000FW thing is just over the top^^.

That´s why more questions could follow soon.

So let´s say I plug my guitar stuff (effects loop of the amp) into the analog in1 and out1, and I create an effect with Vsig that uses in1/out1 and in2/out2. What would in2/out2 be good for? As far as I understand, you won´t hear anything that goes through that, right?

IDeangelis

Keep in mind that VSIG inputs and outputs are DSP I/Os, NOT the actual physical I/Os of the H8000.

The ROUTING function of the H8000 is what you need to program to connect physical I/Os to those DSPs I/Os.

Your example:

if your preset is mono audio, there is really no need to use in/out 2 in Vsig. Infact your amp SEND is mono and is sufficient to use a singe input. If your preset is stereo I/O then you coud have INPUT 1 of the H8000 routed to DSP inputs 1 and 2 and its outputs conncted to OUTPUT 1 for mono use, as this will be connected to your amp fx loop return.

If you are creating mono algorithms in Vsig, just use 1 I/O on the H8000. You won't need the others.

If you want to se factory stereo presets, you can connect INPUT 1 of the unit to both in1 and 2 of the DSP and then sum DSP outs 1 and 2 to H8000 OUTPUT 2.

Things depend on how you connect DSP I/Os to the H8000 I/Os.

I

Patill
      Participant

ok, I got that now, thanks ;).

Some more questions may come soon, as I proceed through the manual, and propably when I finally got the unit (for which I can´t wait…).

Patill
      Participant

Hey, I just got through the section of the manual now, actually I thought I was through, but everything is well explained :).

Now I have another question that came up. Are stereo/multichannel effects mono compatible? Like if I used a quad effect or a surround effect, would I be able to hear everything on my guitar? Of course it would be pretty cut in its performance, but I´m just a guitaroplayer, so no surround, not even stereo^^.

IDeangelis

It's good the manual is helping you!

A single H8000 OUTPUT can accept a max. of 2 DSP outputs, so you can collapse a stereo preset to mono in the Routing area of the machine. Collapsing a quad or 5.1 requires Vsig work, adding a mixer to the end of the preset and connect it to a single output. Nevertheless 5.1 presets may not sound good in mono as their whole scope is totally different. Some quad ones may actually sound nice. Trying is the key here….as in most cases.

cheers

I

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Hi Italo,

since the inputs and outputs in VSig are actually DSP ins and outs, maybe it's a nice idea to change the letters AC to DSP, lest people are confused, right?

Regards

Yannis

IDeangelis

Hi Yannis

not sure that really matters. After all the green squares are labeled IN 1/2/etc and OUT 1 /2/etc. which is self explanatory.

Obviously being an algorithm, anything in Vsig is doomed to be run by a DSP.

I

Patill
      Participant

Hello guys,

I now got my Eventide H8000FW and I must say it´s so great :).

I have a question, I´d like to download the patch editor and maybe some stuff like the software update, it requires registration.

I bought the Eventide on Ebay, so I don´t have a purchase date, I also used the serial number in the setup/service/information area (Hardware ID number, first 8 digits), but it says the serial number is invalid…

Can anyone tell me what to do?

Thanks

Patill
      Participant

hello,

since the last post seems to be screwed up, I´ll make it quick.

I bought the H8000FW on Ebay and I want to register it. serial number inside the H8000FW doesn´t work. How do I do that because I want to download Vsig to create some effects?

And there´s a CD called "resource disk", onit there´s a folder called "anthology". Is this the complete effects bundle you can buy for ProTools as Plugins???

Patill
      Participant

hello,

since the last post seems to be screwed up, I´ll make it quick.

I bought the H8000FW on Ebay and I want to register it. serial number inside the H8000FW doesn´t work. How do I do that because I want to download Vsig to create some effects?

And there´s a CD called "resource disk", onit there´s a folder called "anthology". Is this the complete effects bundle you can buy for ProTools as Plugins???

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

See the many replies to this question elsewhere on the Forum.

Essentially, you should contact your vendor first to de-register it, and if that fails try support@eventide.com.

Demo versions of the ProTools plugins can be found on the demo disk, but the latest versions are on the Web Site. Note that these plugins are only for Protools HD.

Patill
      Participant

ok I contacted the support now.

Here´s a small problem I have. When I put the program "Thru" on DSP B, the sound is very noticable diffrent, when I bypass DSP B it goes back to normal.

Any explaination for that? 

I also have problems with keeping my sound clean, somehow it distorts naturally (not digital then) when I load a program into DSP A. But I think i´s no distortion effect since it´s too less distortion. I checked all the levels and stuff and everything is fine.

Maybe that coms from the DSP B problem also, wasn´t able to check it yet while I bypassed it.

IDeangelis

Hi Patill

given the complexity of the H8000FW architecture and its vast versatility, we can't possibly find an answer if the question is not in good company of useful information. This is really necessary for us to look into what you report.

So…here's what we need:

-OS version running on the unit

-exact routing between input/DSPs/outputs

-name of the 2 presets loaded. You must give us the 2 presets names. Don't just say "any preset".

-how the unit is connected to the real world (I/O) / cables type

-what kind of signal is fed to the unit?

-how I/O levels are set

thank you!

I

Patill
      Participant

ok, software version is v5.2

I´m using it as a guitar amp send/return effect with one planet wave cable and one (pretty expensive) xlr to 1/4 cable. I forgot the name. But since I only have this problem when I go to the "Thru" program on DSP B and it´s gone when i completely bypass DSP B, it shouldn´t be the cables. So I can get the original signal out of it when I want.

The i/o routing is a preset routing from the unit, Analog A-B. The i/o levels are all set to 0db and it works fine. Since I said, this distortion is NOT digital, so no pops or scratching, it is true natural distortion. Unfortunately I can´t give you the preset name(s) because I was just sneaking into it and that was a lot to handle :). It was just something I realized.

So there are TWO problems that may be looked on seperately:

1. Sound gets dumb when I go on the program "Thru" on DSP B but this disappears when I completely bypass DSP B. I´ll have to check if this is also the case when I´m not on the thru program but on a "normal"/diffrent program.

2. Some of the effects are distorting strangely light. I will try to let DSP B bypasse when that problem occurs again and see if this is also the reason for problem 2.

I will now check everything once again so I´ve not given you false information. Please ask if you need more. This was only a quick reply, I will now play around an see if I can maybe solve the problem.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

There is probably more to this than you are telling us – bypass of DSP B is essentially the same as Thru' so is unlikely to cause a problem.

Your problem may be the equipment that follows the H8000 – try turning down the output gain and see if the distortion changes.

Also, make sure that your expensive 1/4 to XLR cable has all the XLR pins connected (typically 1 and 3 to sleeve, pin 2 to tip.

IDeangelis

Thank you for the details.

Very likely you have your Dry/Wet
      balance somewhere in the middle values area. This is typical of
      "series" connection like GtrAmps FX loops, unless yours is configurable
      as parallel. If the unit is run in series a portion of dry sound is
      always going thru the loop. Loading the THRU preset will add a slightly
      delayed (normal A/D latency) copy of a dry sound (that's what this
      preset does, after all…).

Having 2 instances of the same
      signal, a phase cancellation is happening and identical frequencies are
      affected. You don't need to use the THRU preset in such setup.

It's not clear where exactly you get distortion. As I said we need presets names or nothing else can be added.

Nick's suggestion on checking the cables wiring/soldering is a treasure. When running +4dB line levels signals off the XLRs to 1/4", it should be clear that unbalancing the signal is properly done. The user manual has information on this and so does our Tech Notes library on the website.

all the best

I

Patill
      Participant

ok guys, I have a lucky update to make :). I realized, that I only have this sound change (it sounds like a high cut by the way) when I bypass ONE DSP only. So if I bypass them both the sound is fine, if I load the thru program in both the sound is fine, too. Only hen I bypass one DSP (in the Levels/Bypass area) the sound starts to get difrent. So I´ll just not use it then…seems to be normal this way.

Oh, btw, the wet/drys are all set to 100%.

I also realized, that when I put the H8000 into my effects chain, the overall sound gets louder. So that may be the reason where the distortion of my clean sound occurs. Like I said, it´s analog distortion. So maybe it´s the effects chains "fault".

That leads me to a question I wanted to ask because it´s pretty unobvious in the manual. The manual says if you have to cut volume in the levels area, don´t do it on the inputs. It also says not to do it at the outputs^^. So where to do it then?

Where do I cut down the volume a little so the overall volume gets even to the pure amp (no Eventide connected) without loosing any quality of the signal?

P.s.: I must say this thing is really pretty much high end^^. I usually loose signal with a TC unit when I put it into the cahin…

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

It sounds like you are mixing the output signal with the H8000 input signal externally. Because there are slight delays between the H8000's inputs and outputs, if you mix a Thru' signal with its inputs you can get some top cut or comb filtering. You never actually need to do this, and with an actual effect it will not be an issue.

Where you cut gain depends on what you are trying to do:

1) If you have a very high level input which overloads the A/D you might need to cut the input gaintrim (pre A/D). This is uncommon because these inputs will take very high levels.

2) In the unlikely event that an effect overloads internally (usually only happens with extreme peaking EQ), you might want to drop the preset's input gain to fix this.

3) If the out put level from the H8000 overdrives whatever follows it, cut the "outputs/Post D/A Gain", rather than anything else – this will give the best signal quality.

Patill
      Participant

Hello guys, 

so far so good, I reieved my cables today, 2xsp/pdif and 1x Word Clock.

How would you say do I hook up the WordClock with my Digi 003 Rack? I think I have to use the H8000FW as a slave, because the ProTools manual says the 003 can only be master. So I hooked up the WordClock out of the Digi Rack with the WordClock in of the H8000. Iß´m gonna set the preferences in ProTools to Word Clock then and on the H8000 I´ll set the Source to WordClock in the setup area, I should be done then, right?

Now, what if I connect the H8000 to a PC via FireWire? The manual says the PC and the H8000 MUST have the same sampling rate at all time, doesn´t that get confusig then, if two sources want to synchronize the H8000?

I also may be back with a question about the S/PDIF hookup, but Ill try that on my own :). First time I´m doing that, I usually only play guitar^^.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Don't know a lot about your Protools rack. But,

You can certainly sync the H8000FW to Wordclock. See the notes in the manual concerning termination.

On looking at the 003 manual, it appears that it can be either a WordClock slave or master. Setting the Preferences to WordClock will make it a slave, so you should NOT do this if you are syncing the H8000 to WordClock..

The manual is correct about only one sample rate – this applies to all digital systems (except for sample rate conversion, but that is another subject). You will probably do best to make the ProTools the master and sync the H8000FW to it via WordClock as you propose.

Patill
      Participant

ok guys, thanks, everything works right now :). The problem was, that the ProTools Reference guide says, that it can be Master, not slave…but the 003 manual says it can do both, I set it up with this manual.

I´m very close to finishing what I wanted to approach, but the i/o setup of the H8000FW is very confusing…I just tripped over the right settings to hear something in ProTools.

The Problem is, when I remove the S/PDIF 3/4 from in 1-2 and put it to in 5-6 I won´t hear anything…but In 1-2 should remain my analog ins, I wanna customize my routing here. I tried to get everything working with in 5-6 but somehow it won´t do…

I need the routing program for my mac to look through…

Edit: Is there a routing program for Mac OSX available? I only get an .exe file and some .emf and .rfw files when I download it.

Patill
      Participant

So is there a Routing Program for Mac OS X???

I had the Vsig for Mac on the CD that cam with the H8000, but I also can´t find that in your Download area. So wheree are the programs for the Mac located?

P.S.: You should stop this verification thing before the post finally appears, I don´t know anyone who does that and it´s only extra work and lots of time to wait…:(

Patill
      Participant

ok, this really screws up my mind right now because I can´t find any routing program for a Mac (all professional musicians use Macs and the H8000FW is a professionals unit, so???).

I just tried to run the H8000FW with my Windows PC and it doesn´t work (who´d have thunk it^^).

So I tried to work myself through a diagram I created and tweaking on the H8000FW myself. I set everything up right but it doesn´t work. It only works if I use some kind of preset, I don´t know which one and I´m also not interested in doing that and not knowing what´s going on, so…

1. First of all I don´t understand what the two connection points at the Main outputs are for in the routing program. Also, there are some previous made connections to the analog channels and some other channels you can´t change (the big grey ones). I think in the Eventide itself they are mentioned as "Main Outputs (Analog)" and "Main Outputs (Digital)". I don´t know what´s the sense of these since you got 8 Main Outputs, those go only from 1 to 4 i the unit?!

2. Input Routing: I wanted IN 1-4 to be the analog inputs and 5-6 the digital ones (S/PDIF 3-4), so I set

Analog in 1 -> IN 1            S/PDIF 3 -> IN 5

Analog in 2 -> IN 2            S/PDIF 4 -> IN 6

Analog in 3 -> IN 3           

-> IN 7

Analog in 4 -> IN 4          

-> IN 8

3. Then going into DSP A, screen looks the same as the inputs.

3. Going into DSP B

DSP A OUT 1 -> IN 1

DSP A OUT 2 -> IN 2

blabla

4. Outputs, this is where it gets really stupid and not so well explained. What do I do?

4.1 If I put S/PDIF 3 and 4 on "Main Out (Digital)", I only get a delayed sound with no effects.

4.2 Also, when I go to the AES Output screen, I can choose an option called "MAIN OUT", what´s that supposed to mean???

All you usually need is an Output Screen where you can choose the output source you want to send the signal to. Just as simple as the input section. You want IN 1 to get the Analog Signal, so you choose Analog 1 for IN 1. Simple as that, but what´s going on in the output section is just not so well….

Please help!

Patill
      Participant

ok, I got it working right now, but it´s very questionable.

1. Why can I only use S/PDIF 3-4 on Channels 1 and 2 all through the routing (IN 1-2 and OUT 1-2)? If I copy the exact same thing to channels 3-4, 5-6 or 7-8 it doesn´t work, only channel 1-2.

But I don´t want it to be Channel 1 and 2, I want to set it to Channel 7 and 8. Channel 1 and 2 should be my analog stuff for my guitar.

2. When I use Main Outputs (Analog) with DSP B Out I have to use Main 1-2 out to hear something, when I use Main Outputs (Digital) I have to change to Main Out 5-6 to hear something…pretty weird.

3. Still, I don´t get this connection thing you can´t change in the routing area, so please read my post before (which has not yet been "verified") and answer the question if you can :(. Very mixed up this stuff, really.

IDeangelis

Unfortunately there is no Routing app for the Mac.

Posts approval is a standard in companies forum. It helps avoiding spam and keeps things nice and useful for all members in the community.

best

I

IDeangelis

"I just tried to run the H8000FW with my Windows PC and it doesn´t work (who´d have thunk it^^)"

Patill, would you care to describe what exactly did you try? Details, please.

1- The MAIN Outputs allow to sum two sources to one output. It's a very useful feature if you think about it.

As an example, you could have the 2 DSPs 8 outputs to run in parallel by simply using this feature.

3- It's actually not clear how the DSP B inputs are connected. Please describe all of them.

4.1- on which Main Outputs you choose S/pdif 3/4 and get only delayed sound?

4.2- it simply means you are assigning what you have defined as MAIN Outputs to the AES/EBU outputs, oinstead of the other available choices.

What exactly you want to connect to the H8000 and how would you like to route your sources and the DSPs and the outputs? Understanding that will help us helping you.

best

I

IDeangelis

Ptill

we need a complete drawing of your routing to answer.

Something like in this exampls:

http://forum.eventide.com/cs/forums/t/5709.aspx

thanks

I

tfosko

FOR PATILL:

While I believe Eventide does not officially provide support, – either Boot Camp or VMWare used with Windows XP works very well on a Mac in my experience, making it easy to use the routing utility. I have both set up on my machines. I've been using XP on my Mac exclusively for this purpose for several months and must say that it works very well. You'll need a USB converter for the 9 pin serial connector on the H8000 as well. I use this on both a laptop (Macbook Pro) as well as a standard  iMac20.

I use Vsig on the Mac's System 10.5.8, along with my DAW software – although I have no expertise at Vsig – it does seem to work well given the little I know about it.

Tom

Patill
      Participant

s/pdif 3 -> IN1

-> IN5

s/pdif 4 -> IN2

-> IN6

-> IN3

-> IN7

-> IN4  

-> IN8

DSP A i/p routing

s/pdif 3      -> IN1

-> IN5
      s/pdif 4     -> IN2

-> IN6

-> IN3

-> IN7

-> IN4

-> IN8

DSP B i/p routing

DSP A OUT 1 -> IN1

-> IN5
      DSP A OUT 2 -> IN2

-> IN6

-> IN3

-> IN7

-> IN4

-> IN8

MAIN OUTPUTS (Analog)

(+) 

-> ANA1

(+)  

-> ANA2

(+) 

-> ANA3

(+)  

-> ANA4

MAIN OUTPUTS (Digital)

dsp B out 1 (+)

-> DIG1
      dsp B out 2 (+)

-> DIG2

(+)

-> DIG3

(+)

-> DIG4

ADAT Outputs

-> OUT1

-> OUT5

-> OUT2

-> OUT6

-> OUT3

-> OUT7

-> OUT4

> OUT8

AES Outputs

MAIN OUT 5 -> OUT1 

-> OUT5
      MAIN OUT 6 -> OUT2 

-> OUT6

-> OUT3  

> OUT7

-> OUT4 

-> OUT8

FIREWIRE1 Outputs

-> OUT1 

-> OUT5

-> OUT2 

-> OUT6

-> OUT3  

> OUT7

-> OUT4 

-> OUT8

FIREWIRE2 Outputs

-> OUT1 

-> OUT5

-> OUT2 

-> OUT6

-> OUT3  

> OUT7

-> OUT4 

-> OUT8

That´s it, it works like this and ONLY like this. If I put the S/PDIF 3 and 4 inputs on IN 3-8 and connect the following as it should work, nothing works.

Also, I find it a little bit confusing, that when I use the Main Out (Analog), I have to choose MAIN OUT 1 and 2 at the AES Outputs, and when I choose Main Out (Digital) I have to use MAIN OUT 5 and 6 (as shown above) on the AES Outputs. I still don´t get it with the extra dots on the Main outputs in the routing program and why I have to choose output 5 and 6 when using digital out 1 and 2 instead of analog. 

I only get a delayed signal if I set the Main Out (Digital) 1 and 2 to S/PDIF 3 and 4 or when i set the AES Outputs 1 and 2 to S/PDIF.

And guys, as I said, no offense, but the most people who choose this unit have a Mac ;).

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Firstly – please read the manual (several times) and, in general,  only create your own routings if none of the Factory Routings are suitable. What you show looks like it should work.

Patill:

That´s it, it works like this and ONLY like this. If I put the S/PDIF 3 and 4 inputs on IN 3-8 and connect the following as it should work, nothing works.

Don't understand what you are asking here.

Patill:

Also, I find it a little bit confusing, that when I use the Main Out (Analog), I have to choose MAIN OUT 1 and 2 at the AES Outputs, and when I choose Main Out (Digital) I have to use MAIN OUT 5 and 6 (as shown above) on the AES Outputs.

Again, the manual might be helpful here. Essentially you have 8 Main Outputs, of which 1-4 are hardwired to Analog out and 5-8 are hardwired to AES 1-4. Any other outputs must be fed from these Main Outputs. This is just the way the machine works, so there are no options here. Sorry.

Patill:

I only get a delayed signal if I set the Main Out (Digital) 1 and 2 to S/PDIF 3 and 4 or when i set the AES Outputs 1 and 2 to S/PDIF.

Alas, don't understand the question. This may be another Main Outputs issue.

Patill
      Participant

nickrose:

Firstly – please read the manual (several times) and, in general,  only create your own routings if none of the Factory Routings are suitable. What you show looks like it should work.

Patill:

Don't understand what you are asking here.

I mean S/PDIF 3-4 only works on the Main Inputs 1 and 2 (like shown above) and not with any other Main input. What I would like is a setup, where I can play my guitar and where the unit is connected to ProTools as an insert (via S/PDIF 3-4), both at the same time, so I don´t have to switch around the routings all the time. 

So let´s say Main inputs 1-4 are fed from the analog ins and Main inputs 5 and 6 are fed by S/PDIF 3 and 4. But S/PDIF only works on Main input 1 and 2, you understand now? Is that normal?

I really read the manual several times :).

Another question, I connected a microphone today and I would like to eliminate the sound of my own voice when hearing pitch shifted stuff. I set the Wet/Dry to 100 on each DSP but I still hear my natural voice sound through somehow…can you help me out with that? 

Of course I´ll read the manual once again, I also looked into it for this problem, but this is really confusing.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

S/PDIF1/2 can only be connected to Main In5/6 (as an alternative to AES1/2). But, S/PDIF3/4 can be connected to any Main Input (as an alternative to AES11/12).

Is your problem that you cannot connect SPDIF3/4, or that you can connect it and it does not work ?

In either case what do you hear, and see on the screen and meters ?

This stuff is complicated, because there are so many options, and a number of restrictions which make it harder to understand.

You should be able to get an output with no dry (direct) signal. This will depend on which routing and preset you are using, and also how your external equipment is connected.

First try loading a suitable Factory Routing ("Analog A-B") and Preset 11 "Mute". You should be able to adjust Wet/Dry to give no signal at 100% Wet and full signal at 0% Wet. If this is not so, the problem is in your external equipment. Otherwise, then try loading a simple pitchshift effect such as 313 "4 Pitchshifters". You should then be able to select between 100% Wet and 100% Dry. Let me know.

Patill
      Participant

nickrose:

Is your problem that you cannot connect SPDIF3/4, or that you can connect it and it does not work ?

Well, if by "cannot connect" you mean having the choice, yes, I can choose S/PDIF 3-4 to any Main input, but I won´t get a signal, only on Main Input 1-2. I´ll try this once again and list you the sheet again, I´ll also look at the meters when the signal stops. As far as I know it was at the DSP´s Inputs, so very early….

nickrose:

You should be able to get an output with no dry (direct) signal. This will depend on which routing and preset you are using, and also how your external equipment is connected.

First try loading a suitable Factory Routing ("Analog A-B") and Preset 11 "Mute". You should be able to adjust Wet/Dry to give no signal at 100% Wet and full signal at 0% Wet. If this is not so, the problem is in your external equipment. Otherwise, then try loading a simple pitchshift effect such as 313 "4 Pitchshifters". You should then be able to select between 100% Wet and 100% Dry. Let me know.

oh, ok. I use the H8000 as an insert in ProTools in this case. So the Mic is connected to the 003 from Digidesign, as is the H8000 (via S/PDIF) I then use it as an inert effect.

Patill
      Participant

OK, here it is. It does NOT work this way. I hope it´s just a stupid thinking mistake of me :).

-> IN1  s/pdif 3        -> IN5

-> IN2  s/pdif 4       -> IN6

-> IN3

-> IN7

-> IN4  

-> IN8

DSP A i/p routing

-> IN1    s/pdif 3  -> IN5

-> IN2    s/pdif 4   -> IN6

-> IN3  

-> IN7

-> IN4  

-> IN8

DSP B i/p routing

-> IN1  DSP A OUT 5   -> IN5

-> IN2   DSP A OUT 6   -> IN6

-> IN3  

-> IN7

-> IN4    

-> IN8

MAIN OUTPUTS (Analog)

(+) 

-> ANA1

(+)  

-> ANA2

(+) 

-> ANA3

(+)  

-> ANA4

MAIN OUTPUTS (Digital)

dsp B out 6 (+)

-> DIG1
      dsp B out 5 (+)

-> DIG2

(+)

-> DIG3

(+)

-> DIG4

ADAT Outputs

-> OUT1

-> OUT5

-> OUT2

-> OUT6

-> OUT3

-> OUT7

-> OUT4

> OUT8

AES Outputs

MAIN OUT 5 -> OUT1 

-> OUT5
      MAIN OUT 6 -> OUT2 

-> OUT6

-> OUT3  

> OUT7

-> OUT4 

-> OUT8

FIREWIRE1 Outputs

-> OUT1 

-> OUT5

-> OUT2 

-> OUT6

-> OUT3  

> OUT7

-> OUT4 

-> OUT8

FIREWIRE2 Outputs

-> OUT1 

-> OUT5

-> OUT2 

-> OUT6

-> OUT3  

> OUT7

-> OUT4 

-> OUT8

I looked at the meters and the signal is still visible on Machine in Pre-Fade, but NOT Post-Fade

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You don't say what preset you are using, but I notice that you are using DSP in and out 5/6. This will only work if these inputs and outputs are used by the preset. For example this will work with an 8 channel preset, but will not work with a stereo preset, which uses DSP in/out 1/2.

My guess is that this is your problem – use DSP in/out 1/2 instead of 5/6.

Regarding the meters, make sure that the preset input levels are set to maximum.

At the risk or repetition, you will make your life easier by using the Factory routings for  straightforward applications. For exaple, "AES8 A->B" will give you the correct routing, all you would have to do is to select S/PDIF3/4 as input.

Once you have exercised the Factory Routings, then tweak them to go further.

Patill
      Participant

lol ok, that may be possible :). I didn´t think about the presets inputs and outputs used, I thought they run over all the inputs and outputs of the DSPs but can only be used by 2 inputs and outputs at all, no matter where they are. I´ll check tomorrow immediately, this is a very good point.

Another quick question, when I have a 4 Pitch Shifters preset with "44" and I only hear two (or even only one) shifter(s), can I make the others "appear" by routing the Main Input 1 to all 4 DSP Inputs (1-4) and all the 4 DSP Outputs to Main Out 1? Since my Guitar is a mono instrument ;).

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Patill:

lol ok, that may be possible :). I didn´t think about the presets inputs and outputs used, I thought they run over all the inputs and outputs of the DSPs but can only be used by 2 inputs and outputs at all, no matter where they are. I´ll check tomorrow immediately, this is a very good point.

The DSP is in effect the preset (except for monolithic presets which use both), so the choice of inputs is an issue. Use 1 for mono, 1/2 for stereo, etc.

Patill:

Another quick question, when I have a 4 Pitch Shifters preset with "44" and I only hear two (or even only one) shifter(s), can I make the others "appear" by routing the Main Input 1 to all 4 DSP Inputs (1-4) and all the 4 DSP Outputs to Main Out 1? Since my Guitar is a mono instrument ;).

Yes you can. And, for example, you could produce a stereo output by sending 1/2 to Main Out 1 and 3/4 to Main Out 2.

Patill
      Participant

ok, very good then :).

The presets were "Black Hole" and "Glitter Verb" by the way. Stupid that I didn´t write it before, because I knew^^. I´ll try tomorrow then.

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.