H90 latency Program Change

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H90 latency Program Change

Tagged: 

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      garymusique
      Participant

Hello,
      I just got the H90 and I find myself very annoyed because I want to use the H90 with only a midi switcher to change programs and I noticed that there was a little latency at each program change. I really thought there would be no noticeable latency but I don’t get the feel of the sound being activated instantly like with an analog pedal. this latency is annoying enough to be noticed at the beginning of the bar when I activate the program. is this latency normal? Because I have often seen people say that for example the H9 had a really instant program change at noon. I haven’t heard anyone complain about this.
      If I can’t find where the problem comes from or if it’s normal for the machine to work like that, I’ll have to return it because this latency is impossible in live and it’s not pleasant to have to anticipate this delay each change. of his.

Here is my update version:

Software Version : 1.3.0.75
      Audio Version : 1.873
      Panel Version : M:1.415

cestlamort
      Participant

I’ve also experienced latency when switching programs. The spillover does help mask it, but it is not instantaneous and I’ve had to switch ahead of the part when when changing programs. It’s really obvious when you click on a button and it doesn’t engage until your foot is almost back on the floor.

Digital pedals will always have some latency for loading the next program. (Note that you won’t have the same issue when switching off and on, either with digital or analog pedals)

The H9 also lagged when switching between algorithms (the time dependent on the algorithm) and would drop out between algorithms.

In short, I believe that this is just how the pedal is.

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff

You can try changing the Spillover setting to a lower value and this may improve the time between changing Programs. You may also find that using the onboard footswitches in Select Mode will be more immediate than using your MIDI controller.

garymusique
      Participant

THANKS ! I will try to change the spillover settings

emptyparadigm
      Participant

I’ve had this exact experience, which is a real bummer because I’d hoped that the H90 would be the all-FX-in-one unit I’d dreamed of. But the momentary signal dropout when engaging/swapping between presets is so noticeable that I’m going to sell mine when I’m home from tour in three weeks. Really disappointing considering the fact that gapless switching was touted as a selling point.

cestlamort
        Participant

It sounds like yours is cutting out when switching between programs (like on the H9). You can use the spillover setting to mask this.

Are you also experiencing a lag when switching between programs (whether by onboard foot switch or MIDI)?

H90 manual (p. 34, emphasis mine):

Switching between Programs is instantaneous, and features spillover, which allows the previous Program’s reverb/delay tail to decay naturally when another Program is loaded.

My experience differs here.

Even with reducing the spillover time, I am still struggling with the lag (latency) when switching between programs, and I wonder whether my unit is especially laggy or if it’s the same with all of them and it just doesn’t bother other users as much.

emptyparadigm
        Participant

I’ve found that it cuts out when switching between programs that utilize different algorithms as well as ones which use the same one (though it seems less noticeable with the latter).

If I have the unit bypassed and then load a program using an external controller, all audio momentarily cuts out before the program loads appropriately.

cestlamort
      Participant

I haven’t done a scientific comparison, but the latency seems a bit better after the new update (1.5.2)

apalazzolo
      Participant

I haven’t done a scientific comparison, but the latency seems a bit better after the new update (1.5.2)

From the release notes:  “Users will notice significantly reduced latency with onboard footswitches & external controllers, especially in timing-critical scenarios”

emptyparadigm
      Participant

Can confirm that the “gapless switching” is still anything but even after the newest firmware update. Switching + engaging a preset via secondary controller sending a MIDI command also produces an audible gap. If I weren’t on tour right now I’d already have this up for sale. Seriously disappointed in the H90 in this regard.

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Sorry to hear of your disappointment. I am unable to reproduce your issue, I never experience a gap in the audio when I am sending a constant tone to the H90 from a synth and changing Programs using the footswitches or a MIDI controller.

If you’d like to troubleshoot this further, can you please email support@eventide.com and provide full details of your setup, and if possible audio and/or video examples of the issue would be helpful.

tonyshred
      Participant

I can also confirm the latency as mentioned above. But I actually think it’s worse when going from bypass to active. I tried to change the spillover but it didn’t have any effect. I have the H90 connected to a serial FX loop on a guitar amp.

I’m looking forward to a fix.

Thanks

tonyshred
        Participant

But I actually think it’s worse when going from bypass to active.

Fyi That’s P bypass.

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

To clarify, the lower spillover time only improves loading if you’re loading Programs in quick succession within the length of an otherwise longer Spillover time.

Are you changing Programs using the H90’s footswitches or with a MIDI controller?

udi9
      Participant

I’m also experiencing latency and an audio drop when changing programs. It’s not a complete cut, but there’s definitely an audible drop.

I’m only using the H90’s footswitches, but changing programs is not instantaneous as the manual suggests.

Using the latest firmware 1.5.6

udi9
      Participant

I recorded a short video showing the audio drops when changing programs:

H90 changing programs

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

What is your spillover time set to?

udi9
        Participant

4 seconds.

I’ve also tried lower (and higher) settings, but it made no difference.

nico___
      Participant

same problem

h90 latency on inserts

In summary, therefore, the slow midi communication does not seem to be the problem, perhaps the algorithm loading process should be optimised/speeded up.

emptyparadigm
      Participant

I’m relieved that I’m not the only one experiencing this, but I’m also sad that the fix isn’t as simple as getting a replacement unit. Between this and the ongoing lack of mobile app for control/editing, looks like my h90 is on its way out. Maybe I’ll revisit it down the road after some updates, assuming that updates remedy this problem, but in its current form it is unusable for me in a live setting.

MarcoR
      Participant

It might be helpful if people that experience lag to post what algorithms are in each program you switching between? Maybe some algorithms are more difficult to get seamless? Maybe the presets have different routing and the dry path is being broken?

I notice lag going from a program with a reverb and delay in parallel to a pitch and delay in series. I find most of my programs that are just reverb and delay in parallel switch seamlessly.

I wouldn’t expect two completely different algorithms to not have some glitch when switching between them. And then if they also have different routing? I think there are some circumstances where expecting completely seamless switching might be unrealistic.

ryq
      Participant

Yeah, it’s horrendous!!!

I’m a sales engineer for this product and I’m shocked after being alerted to this issue. Eventide, please fix!!! Here’s a video with tails off and 0 seconds of spillover. Video is currently unlisted.

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Sorry for the issues you are having, but your video is not very helpful for troubleshooting the issue.

If you’d like to pursue this further, please export your Program list and send it to support@eventide.com. Let us know exactly which programs you experience the issue with and we can look into it.

Vavoom
      Participant

Recently picked up the H90 (new) and after programming with Morningstar MC6PRO, I am seeing/hearing the same latency when switching programs.

It is more apparent when using a midi switcher and going from PC change to PC change.  Very apparent.

In a live situation, this could be problematic. I’m getting about the same delay as the video.  The video pretty much shows the delay…and you can easily hear it.  I would guess it’s about around 700 ms.  There has to be a fix. I had a delay like this once with a midi switcher and an adjustment to a time parameter on the midi switcher fixed it, but that was 15 years ago.

Vavoom
      Participant

Continuing my thread from yesterday, I’m spending a few more hours tweaking/programming Morningstar M6 pro.  It’s such fun.  A few things….some people are saying they’re going to sell their unit  because of the latency issue.  I’m not that great at midi programming, but there are definitely work arounds.  That is what is fun about doing all this.  I can understand if something just doesn’t work, but the trade offs you would make are worth it in H90 midi switching.  The sound and power is just to high of level.  If you need a tone such as chorus or pitch, or delay etc… have it ‘part of a program and just bring it up by active/bypass.  This is simple and fast. Then you can ‘switch programs’ when practical.  So far this is the apparent work around for latency issues IMO.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.