H900 / H90 .. a fantasy

Home Forums Products Rackmount H900 / H90 .. a fantasy

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      ArguZ
      Participant

Hi guys,

i have had the pleasure to get into the H9000 this month.

I am an avid H9 user and i build Buchla rack mods of them and also controller units.

Maybe you have seen Richard Divine’s picture of the H9000 and the thing with 10 dedicated knobs and CV inputs, that’s mine.

So, the reason i am writing here is that i got a lot of feedback from friends, musicians, audio nerds like me etc.

They all were flabbergasted by the H9000 at first, a bit put off by it’s price , but after they patiently watched me set up some effects and animate them with the rEM they all loved it.

Especially people got a kick out of the way algos could be serialised, run parallel or in combinations of both…..amazing.

And the sound….wow…Galaxy borders with extra Seaguls if just angelic.

But the bottom line was, most of them did not need 4 times the same, or Madi , or Dante or word clock or 4 pedal inputs etc etc

Neither do I.

But i loove to use VSig….load algos, bend them, modify them, learn the structures and build my own humble effects.

So i would like to make a plea…maybe you are working on it already, but if not please consider a single ARM version with just standard analog audio and maybe ADAT.

It could be called the H900….and it comes with all four slots avalable..

And there shoudl be a H90 as well…the successor of the H9….It could come with just one algo at the time, and a second or third per paid upgrade…same as the Core/Standard/Max level right now…

I am certain the user base would EXPLODE and new effects made by users would even justify a whole new social interaction plattform.

Thank you for bringing Evenitde to the future…let more of us be part 🙂

Cheers

Sascha

ArguZ
      Participant

Any day now….

joeydego
      Participant

A multi H9 has been suggested in the past, involving 4 or 5 stomps which can each run an algo   Good suggestions but they’re not new

alexone
      Participant

I hope this is something that will push the development of the H9000 and not make it obsolete before it’s even matured.

joeydego
      Participant
      Curious why you think it would? It looks like its going to be a brand new product and thus distract finite resources away from H9000 development even more  Not that I dont welcome a new product or think my H9000 needs all that much. <iframe title=”Big Announcement Coming Soon: November 9th Sneak Peek” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/qcqPdDqzDig?feature=oembed&#8221; width=”1200″ height=”675″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe>

I hope this is something that will push the development of the H9000 and not make it obsolete before it’s even matured.

alexone
      Participant

Tomorrow Eventide announces a new member of the H9 family, while the h9000 had not even caught up with the H9 at 96k. We’ll see if this will be also the long time expected update of the H9000 at the same time…

ArguZ
      Participant

It’s all over the web already, with pictures and description..
      Even a Facebook group called H90 has emerged already 🙂

emilm
      Participant

Dang! That looks sweet! If it only could allow vsig 🙂

ArguZ
      Participant

Yeah…totally not interesting now.
      i do not like the format, its for users only.
      I hope we will see an Eclipse 2 in the form of a rack unit sporting two full ARM CPUs

Not half a CPU and no VSIG…
      Very disappointing

Fender17
      Participant

I like it, good replacement for H9. Not everyone is to rack format and/or VSIG…. Many are just happy with pedal format.

kisielk
      Participant

I hope we’ll see some of the new algos on the H9000..

cyborgssc
      Participant

Let me quote from the H9000 FAQ: “New FUTURE algorithms is the main reason we created the H9000. The decision to migrate from fixed point DSP to ARM was, in large part, driven by our conclusion that creating new ways to effect sound will be more efficient using the tools available for general purpose processors. The ARM platform also makes porting our plug-ins to the H9000 more efficient.”

So we were sold the H9000 on this promise. I am very frustrated that new algorithms don’t come to the H9000 first! Everything should be downstream from the flagship hardware piece. Isn’t this fundamental business? Give people a reason to own the hardware!

kisielk
      Participant

Yeah basically this. I assumed the H9000 would also be a platform for algorithm development at Eventide itself and maybe a proving ground for new algos where they could be trialed by users before going into dedicated products like pedals etc. It seems there’s a lot of opportunity to do that if they wanted to but it does indeed feel like it’s being largely ignored.

igglethorpe
      Participant

I’m a very unhappy owner of an H9000.  Everything mentioned above is why.  I’ve posted on this forum several times about this.  Priority doesn’t seem to be with this very expensive product.

Where are the new algorithm developments?  Why does Eventide seem to focus on the past over and over and over again?  “New FUTURE algorithms is the main reason we created the H9000”. Really?  Where?

alexone
      Participant

What surprised me negatively when I recently acquired an H9000 were the bugs, the limitations of not yet implemented features, in short the impression of being on a construction site. I hesitate between the hope that this H90 with ARM processor will boost the development of the H9000 and the fear that it will be a cash cow too captivating for Eventide.

Puppeteer
      Participant

I’m not Eventide, but I’m doing my best to get new algorithms out. 15 so far since getting my H9000, and more to come.

I’m a very unhappy owner of an H9000. Everything mentioned above is why. I’ve posted on this forum several times about this. Priority doesn’t seem to be with this very expensive product. Where are the new algorithm developments? Why does Eventide seem to focus on the past over and over and over again? “New FUTURE algorithms is the main reason we created the H9000”. Really? Where?

jerzythepeddler
      Participant

I will echo what is being said here. I was excited for new algorithms that Eventide said would come for the H9000. But that seems to not really be happening. The H90 looks cool, but the first thing I thought was “why are these new algos not being released on the H9000 first?”. I’m getting very concerned it will be dropped as far as development goes.

emilm
      Participant

Strange .it would be logical to use h9000 as a development platform for new algorithms and release it there first.

Maybe that’s not how it’s being done

Jago_Marris
      Participant

Now it’s clear why the support and development for the H9K and emote has been lacking. One mediocre update in February. And and ever growing list of bugs that they “will add to the list”. A small team focused on other things.

alexone
      Participant

If I understood correctly, reading between the lines of different interventions here and there, the company has to survive.

They made the bet on ARM-based architecture 6-8 years ago, which gave them much more issues than expected. The H90 project was launched before these issues emerge with the intention of switching to this new technology, both with the successor to the H9 and the flagship H9000. Everything was delayed and in consequence the balance was disturb between expensive research&development and the production of effects pedals that sell like hot cakes. The priority had to be put on hot cakes.

This is to say that if Eventide holds up, I’m quite optimistic that all will get back on track: the H90 will give margin to come back to algorithm development and debugging of the H9000, since two products can handle these fruits of labour (at least ARM based development).

This is my analysis, I am certainly wrong on many points, but the truth should not be totally opposite.

monads
      Participant

+1 !  Not available on the mother flagship???  And I get cashflow and easier to sell $900 pedal vs. $7k+ processor.  It would’ve been nice to give new customers the option…”these algorithms will be made available on our H9000 processor, however if you prefer a smaller specific set of algorithms/pedal version, then the H90 is a perfect option to consider!!…..”.  This is a win win for ALL! ?  Give the new customer the option and nod to existing customer whom committed to the H9K.

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.