H9000 & Bit Depth Question.

Home Forums Products Rackmount H9000 & Bit Depth Question.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      ssgrfk
      Participant

hello.

I have question about the H9000 & Bit Depth.

Im currently using my H9000 with ADAT, which is limited to 48KHz.. and Im able to record that @ 32 BIT via Ableton Live.

That all works fine, but im now wanting to move to higher resolution and work at 96KHz .. at the highest bit depth possible.

Outside of using the Analog Ins / Outs, i was considering the MADI expansion option which looks like it caters for all the KHz rates i will need for the medium term future..  But when i read up on MADI, it seems to work at XXX KHz, 24 Bit, and i was wondering why this is.. and also, does this matter?

Does the H9000 have a Maximum Bit Depth that it runs at? as i could not find any information on this, within the manuals and specifcation documents.. 

currently my Ableton settings are set to record @ 32 Bit.. and im wondering if this might be unecessary..

If anyone can shed some light on this, that would be apprecated.

thank you

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff
      ssgrfk wrote:
      Outside of using the Analog Ins / Outs, i was considering the MADI expansion option which looks like it caters for all the KHz rates i will need for the medium term future..  But when i read up on MADI, it seems to work at XXX KHz, 24 Bit, and i was wondering why this is.. and also, does this matter?

There are very few specialized recording interfaces that track higher than 24bit, and it's meant for preventing clipping, like for recording special effects or subject matter with abrupt or unpredictable transients. For music, there is close to zero need to track at 32bit.  If you're gain-staging and tracking properly, there's no need for 32bit. Regarding MADI, again 24 bit is more than adequate for pristine audio.

ssgrfk wrote:
      Does the H9000 have a Maximum Bit Depth that it runs at? as i could not find any information on this, within the manuals and specifcation documents.. 

24 bit, 96 kHz is the max specification it currently supports, though be aware that not all algorithms work at 96kHz. For a complete list of these, visit this link: https://www.eventideaudio.com/support/downloads/list-h9000-algorithms-wont-work-96k

ssgrfk wrote:
      currently my Ableton settings are set to record @ 32 Bit.. and im wondering if this might be unecessary..

Again, if you're tracking properly, making sure signals are not clipping, and using proper micing technique, there is no need to track at 32bits.

ssgrfk
      Participant

Thank you!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.