H9000-Constant crashing when sending midi program changes

Home Forums Products Rackmount H9000-Constant crashing when sending midi program changes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      brysava
      Participant

I’m getting a lot of instability when sending midi program changes from the daw to the unit. I’ve set several scenes up to respond to midi program changes, and from 30% to 60% of the time the unit crashes instantly upon receipt of the midi message. Emote is off during this, as it was crashing even more often than the unit when working with scenes on the unit. I’m using the exact same setup to send the midi program changes as recently with the H7600, Timefactor, and Lex 300, and less recently, the H8000–never a problem in this area with this exact same daw setup with these previous units. I have the latest H9000 software and emote software. I’ve not had the crashing problem when just chaining and editing the algorithms just when working with scenes and midi program changes to the uni

This is an urgent one for me, as I’m unable to get very far setting things up for some shows that are coming right up.

Thanks

Bryan

jfirlik
      Eventide Staff

Hi Bryan,

Sorry to hear you are having this issue.  We've been able to reproduce a crash in Scenes mode and have a fix for it which is currently in testing, this should be released fairly soon.

-Jackson

brysava
        Participant
        jfirlik wrote:

Hi Bryan,

Sorry to hear you are having this issue.  We’ve been able to reproduce a crash in Scenes mode and have a fix for it which is currently in testing, this should be released fairly soon.

Thanks Jackson. I need to decide pretty quickly whether to keep trying to get my unit ready via scenes, or just set up one chain and try and get through the upcoming shows  using tap tempo for each song.

Also, frequently the unit is not making the changes in the effect chain that I’d programmed when it receives the program change message. It does show that it has received the correct midi message, but just no change in the chain–this happens about half the time–the rest of the time it acts correctly (other than the times it crashes). Do you think this is related to the same bug?

jfirlik
        Eventide Staff
        brysava wrote:

jfirlik wrote:

Hi Bryan,

Sorry to hear you are having this issue.  We've been able to reproduce a crash in Scenes mode and have a fix for it which is currently in testing, this should be released fairly soon.

Thanks Jackson. I need to decide pretty quickly whether to keep trying to get my unit ready via scenes, or just set up one chain and try and get through the upcoming shows  using tap tempo for each song.

Also, frequently the unit is not making the changes in the effect chain that I'd programmed when it receives the program change message. It does show that it has received the correct midi message, but just no change in the chain–this happens about half the time–the rest of the time it acts correctly (other than the times it crashes). Do you think this is related to the same bug?

When this happens, are you sending the messages in fairly quick succession? Part of the bug was related to how overlapping Scene loads were handled – previously there was a chance that loading a new scene before the previous one finished would cause some changes to be lost.  This may be the issue that you're seeing (which should also be fixed in the upcoming release).

brysava
        Participant
        jfirlik wrote:

brysava wrote:

jfirlik wrote:

Hi Bryan,

Sorry to hear you are having this issue.  We’ve been able to reproduce a crash in Scenes mode and have a fix for it which is currently in testing, this should be released fairly soon.

Also, frequently the unit is not making the changes in the effect chain that I’d programmed when it receives the program change message. It does show that it has received the correct midi message, but just no change in the chain–this happens about half the time–the rest of the time it acts correctly (other than the times it crashes). Do you think this is related to the same bug?

When this happens, are you sending the messages in fairly quick succession? Part of the bug was related to how overlapping Scene loads were handled – previously there was a chance that loading a new scene before the previous one finished would cause some changes to be lost.  This may be the issue that you’re seeing (which should also be fixed in the upcoming release).

Hi Jackson, Yes I think that’s exactly what’s going on, at least in part. Also, when in scene mode I get all these subsets (my term) listed below each scene. I don’t intentionally put these in, and am confused as to why they are there, but it seems like they might be slowing the loading of scenes, too, as they are slow-loading, when not crashing. More recently, though, it is only taking a single program change to crash the unit.

Very much looking forward to this fix asap!!

Thanks!

Bryan

jfirlik
        Eventide Staff
        brysava wrote:

Also, when in scene mode I get all these subsets (my term) listed below each scene. I don't intentionally put these in, and am confused as to why they are there, but it seems like they might be slowing the loading of scenes, too, as they are slow-loading, when not crashing. More recently, though, it is only taking a single program change to crash the unit.

If you're using the Scene Capture feature, it will automatically put rows beneath the scene describing the FX chains that will be loaded.  I think these are the subsets you're referring to?  

Note that if you capture all 4 FX chains it may take a little bit to load (a few seconds max).  You may be able to tailor your scenes to get better load performance by setting them up manually, loading individual presets into slots rather than doing a scene capture.  If you just need to change a few parameters in a few algorithms this will be faster than changing the state of all the FX chains.  But, whether or not this is possible depends on your specific use case.

brysava
      Participant

Yes!

brysava
      Participant

Thanks Jackson, What I’d been doing is making and naming a preset of the particular chain that’s assoicated with a particular song. (I use two other chains in each song, but these don’t generally need to change). Then I would make a scene, name it, set the trigger to react to pc’s, etc. AND then do a capture. Other than crashes, etc. this seemed to work. But it sounds like I could skip the capture step by doing it this way? 

brysava
      Participant

I’ve abandoned trying to set the unit up using scenes for my live show until that problem is fixed, and I’ve started just programing some chains to be controlled by one expression pedal and a tap tempo footswitch (mostly varying the delays). This works ok until I try to switch load a different session. When I load the session I’m generally getting consistent crashing. Once the unit reboots, and I try to load either of 2 or 3 sessions, it crashes again. The only way around this is to do a factory reboot, and reload my session from the usb thumb drive. But the crashing all starts over again if I try to load a different session. 

bsfreq
      Participant

Hi,

My H9000 also crashes when sending program change commands while the previous scene change is still loading. Normally I wouldn’t send multiple PC commands in a row, but I certainly don’t want my H9000 crashing if I accidentally hit two of my midi buttons almost simultaneously.

When will you release the fix? Thank you!

ndoe22
      Participant

I haven’t used the scenes or program changes yet. But I am about to do some prototype testing of a CV to midi converter. I will be testing it specifically for the H9000. I would love to have a stable platform on the H9000 to really test it. I hope the issue is addressed on the next update or maybe I won’t have an issue.
      Hope to have the prototype soon it’s stuck in customs

jfirlik
      Eventide Staff
      bsfreq wrote:
      Hi, My H9000 also crashes when sending program change commands while the previous scene change is still loading. Normally I wouldn’t send multiple PC commands in a row, but I certainly don’t want my H9000 crashing if I accidentally hit two of my midi buttons almost simultaneously. When will you release the fix? Thank you!

We haven't seen this issue recently but are looking into it.  If you have any more info, such as a Session file with which this issue can be reliably reproduced, feel free to send it to support@eventide.com with a reference to this forum post.

bsfreq
      Participant
      jfirlik wrote:
      We haven’t seen this issue recently but are looking into it.  If you have any more info, such as a Session file with which this issue can be reliably reproduced, feel free to send it to support@eventide.com with a reference to this forum post.

I just updated to 1.2.254, and PC commands seem to cause no more crashing, so perhaps this was fixed at some point after 1.2.2[3]

I’ll let you know if this happens again, and send you my crashlogs and session file.

All the best!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.