H9000 ‘doubletracker’ effect. any recommendations?

Home Forums Products Rackmount H9000 ‘doubletracker’ effect. any recommendations?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      ssgrfk
      Participant

Hello.

I was recently using one of these Strymon DECO effect pedals which has a really nice “Doubletracker” effect where you get a copy of the incoming signal, that you can mix with the original with a wet/dry control and then also control the time of the delay from Zero, sounding like a chorus, up to a short 150ms or so, to sound like a simple tape echo.

obviously, conceptually, its a simple effect.. but the way they have executed it sounds really very good. far better than i initially assumed based on simply reading about.

im trying to recreate this as closely as possible in my H9000 and am wondering if any of you out there have any recommendations for any algorythms to try as i’ve only gone through one or two delays in this quest so far and thought i would ask here.

thanks

macgee
      Participant
      ssgrfk wrote:

Hello.

I was recently using one of these Strymon DECO effect pedals which has a really nice “Doubletracker” effect where you get a copy of the incoming signal, that you can mix with the original with a wet/dry control and then also control the time of the delay from Zero, sounding like a chorus, up to a short 150ms or so, to sound like a simple tape echo.

obviously, conceptually, its a simple effect.. but the way they have executed it sounds really very good. far better than i initially assumed based on simply reading about.

im trying to recreate this as closely as possible in my H9000 and am wondering if any of you out there have any recommendations for any algorythms to try as i’ve only gone through one or two delays in this quest so far and thought i would ask here.

thanks

The micropitch algos could give you what you need

If you read their description; that also gives clues, particularly around the modulation

Another thing with Strymon I’ve noticed when I was using their Harmonic Trem for reference to build in H9k was that they hype the sound by changing the tone. This appears to happen across a lot of their pedals. In fact I built tone control into my algo for this reason

Also, I “think” their modulation waveforms are shaped somehow which makes it more organic sounding??

ssgrfk
      Participant

Thank you.

I tried a few of those already and they all sound great.. but sadly lack this specific functionality found in that pedal that im after. 

it is specifically the one knob which controls the delay between the original signal and the doubled / delayed signal. when you adjust this fowards / backwards it operates almost like a record turntable if you were to violently slow it down / speed it up.

and perhaps there is something to how that pedal mixes the original + delayed signal that makes it sound *better* (i lack the vocabulary to accurately describe what it is exactly).. perhaps it is the things you mentioned about “hype”

anyway, im hoping i could get this same sound + functionality in the H9000.. or a close enough approximation of.. so as to not want/need another pedal to buy.

thanks again 🙂

ssgrfk
      Participant

Thanks again for your input.

I’ve not yet dived into VSIG, beyond opening up my favourite “road to no where” patch in it and being baffled by it all.

but i now have a task i can set myself to, in order to begin learning it 🙂 

please do feel free to send any other resources you might think valuable and if i can interrogate your expertise with future questions on this forum or elsewhere, i will thank you in advance 🙂

macgee
      Participant

You got me on a mission on this algo – basically “#812 Auto Tape Flanger” isn’t super sophisticated with any analog shaping or dynamics/saturation.

It’s a Quad Line flanger using MODDLY

A pair of (L+R) Fixed Delay Lines & pair of Swept Delay lines – the fixed allows you to delay to static signal a bit so you can do through zero flanging though I couldn’t get that sound, think the pair of swept delays need phase inversion option

Also doesn’t do any stereo modulation and no slapback which is not too surprising – it’s super easy to understand though and a great algo to start your Vsig journey with

I took a stab at it and modified it quite a bit – added Mono/Stereo source support, allowed longer delay times up to 50ms instead of 20ms. Added a modulation offset param to change the phase of the modulation on each side for subtle or medium width.

Added a delay at the end of each L & R signal to support the Slapback and finally another set of mixers so you can add in the Direct source – the slapback could then be the quad line flanger or just the dual swept delay and I also added a HiCut filter to simulate the analog freq shaping.

Is this all accurate of what a Tape Deck and Tape Flanger should do? jeesh I don’t know but it’s sounding pretty cool

I reckon the Preamp from “The Gyre” would be useful in here as well as test out the “XFORMER” module that can saturate. I’ve not tried it yet

Also need a feedback mix for the slapback delays and add signal phase inversion option of the Swept delay line

Listening to the Deco, there’s a lot going on in there and simulating all that in this one algo would be a challenge but the beauty of FX chains is being able to piece anything together and ultimately build it into a single algo if desired; the power on a single CPU appears to be there!

Sure I can help as much as I can but I’m no expert – regardless I’ve been able to do some super fun things

macgee
      Participant

I got lost in this algo a bit and made this – don’t expect a Deco but sounds good and might give you something interesting – I just used the LFO that was already in the #812 Algo but want ot test out the analog LFO available – invert the phase and switch to SINE for better through zero flanging

https://www.dropbox.com/s/joql2s43um91hm5/Tape%20Flanger%20v2.2_3298539867.9ka.zip?dl=0

macgee
      Participant
      ssgrfk wrote:

Thank you.

I tried a few of those already and they all sound great.. but sadly lack this specific functionality found in that pedal that im after. 

it is specifically the one knob which controls the delay between the original signal and the doubled / delayed signal. when you adjust this fowards / backwards it operates almost like a record turntable if you were to violently slow it down / speed it up.

and perhaps there is something to how that pedal mixes the original + delayed signal that makes it sound *better* (i lack the vocabulary to accurately describe what it is exactly).. perhaps it is the things you mentioned about “hype”

anyway, im hoping i could get this same sound + functionality in the H9000.. or a close enough approximation of.. so as to not want/need another pedal to buy.

thanks again 🙂

that sounds like tape flanging – but unless that’s being modulated (when you’re not turning the dial) then I’m no expert but I wouldn’t think that would affect the sound. If however that’s modulating, you’ll have the delay time essentially changing resulting in subtle flanging. That would be like modulating a Mod Delay module but many modules support this on H9000. Either way I think this is fully achievable in H9k land and vey possibly available in an existing algo but maybe not under the Micropitch name. There’s simply too many algos to know for sure

Have you seen the Algorithm manual avilable in your account under H9K

English | Version: 1.2.1[5] | Release date: September 06, 2019

Look in there under “8 – Delays – Modulated”

#812 Auto Tape Flanger 

If you’re prepared to try your hand at Vsig you can do anything you want – it’s well worth the effort!

For an example of how tone hypes the sound, I think the algo is “The Gyre”, it’s pushed in a very pleasing way

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.