H9000 midi controller feedback

Home Forums Products Rackmount H9000 midi controller feedback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      bsfreq
      Participant

Hello again Eventide,

I just started building my MIDI controller layout for the H9000 and noticed that there’s no controller feedback whatsoever coming from the H9000.

Is this really the case? First I tried the MIDI out of the device itself and noticed nothing is coming from the H9000 MIDI out, even after mapping the MIDI commands and then adjusting the mapped knobs from within H9000 or Emote.

I then thought that at least there must be controller feedback coming to Ableton on the “pre-mapped” controls when running Emote inside Ableton. However even the pre-mapped controls only work one way -> H9000.

This seems very weird to me, so perhaps I’ve missed something here?

If not, I really hope you’ll be able to add this feature soon so that we’ll be able to keep our controllers properly synced to H9000. 

(actually I would have hoped and expected OSC support on a device of this calibre, but at least proper support for two way MIDI. Please tell me you’re already working on this)

All the best

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Hi bsfreq,

I'd like to get a clearer picture of what you're trying to accomplish. Are you asking if the H9000 sends CC messages? So if you make an adjustment on the front panel it will reflect on a controller?

bsfreq
      Participant
      By “the H9000 should send out MIDI values of all mapped controls when adjusting anything mapped to a MIDI command” I meant of course that the adjusted parameter value should be sent out. Not necessery to send out every parameter value, except for when they all change due to loading another preset. I also forgot one important scenario: all values should be sent out in boot up too, when loading the last state of the H9000, to make sure all controllers show the correct values right from the start.

One useful feature would be the ability to send out all MIDI parameter values on command. For controller initialization without having to reboot the H9000 or reload your session to get the current MIDI values. (when connecting / powering on your midi controller after the H9000, or like in my case, using a laptop and MIDI router/ translator software in between your controllers and the H9000.)

Maybe a button, a midi command, or if I could decide – a MIDI mappable button to ”Re-initialize MIDI” (just don’t make this one send out it’s mapped MIDI command with the others to avoid an infinite loop of re-sending all the values. wink )

As the H9000 doesn’t have Mackie control support or similar to form a handshake with the controller, it has no way of knowing when a MIDI controller is connected so I think this would be useful in many situations.

bsfreq
      Participant
      joecozzi wrote:
      So if you make an adjustment on the front panel it will reflect on a controller?

Yes, exactly this. And sorry, perhaps I could have been more clear. 

I think the H9000 should send out MIDI values of all mapped controls when adjusting anything mapped to a MIDI command. MIDI values should also be sent out when loading sessions, scenes, saved fx-chains, or saved algorithms that include mapped MIDI controls

to

1) mirror the state of the current H9000 fx settings to DAW / MIDI controller to easily see the values from your controller leds / motor faders / display, and to avoid big jumps when adjusting from controller.

2) to keep multiple controllers in sync, again to have correct visual feedback and to avoid big jumps

Perhaps there could be a global setting to disable this, in case someone doesn’t want this to happen? However most proper MIDI controllers have at least some visual feedback via leds or displays, so this would make sense.

jbamberg
      Eventide Staff
      bsfreq wrote:

Yes, exactly this. And sorry, perhaps I could have been more clear. 

I think the H9000 should send out MIDI values of all mapped controls when adjusting anything mapped to a MIDI command. MIDI values should also be sent out when loading sessions, scenes, saved fx-chains, or saved algorithms that include mapped MIDI controls

Thank you bsfreq.  I've given it some thought, and I think we'll be able to implement some form of this in a software update soon.

bsfreq
      Participant
      jbamberg wrote:
      Thank you bsfreq.  I’ve given it some thought, and I think we’ll be able to implement some form of this in a software update soon.

That would be awesome! Thank you.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.