H9000, Morphing between presets…

Home Forums Products Rackmount H9000, Morphing between presets…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      panmorpheo
      Participant

Is there any control in the H9000 similar to the ribbon control found in the Eventide plug-ins and H9’s algorithms which allows to morph between two presets of an algorithm? That would be awesome!

jfirlik
      Eventide Staff

Yes!  You should be able to achieve this using the Functions controls in the Parameters mode.  A Function allows you to gang together up to 8 parameters (across any algorithm within the FX chain), set independent ranges for each parameter, and then control them with a single knob.  The Function knobs can also then be controlled with MIDI or automation for real-time playability.

panmorpheo
      Participant

Thank you. I think that what you are suggesting is indeed very powerful and flexible but still is not able to produce the same result of the ribbon  in the H9 algorithms. What I specifically consider very useful and missing in your suggestion is the ability to work with 2 presets, say A and B, which you know exactly how they sound and very conveniently can browse and decide if they are the right ones for you to use in any specific application, and to be able to morph between them in such a way that every parameter of the algorithm (not “only” 8, which by the way I agree is already very powerful) morphs from A to the B with total control over the musical effect you are after because, as I said, you know exactly how B will sound like at the end of the morphing from A to B. The solution you are suggesting may produce similar results but you have to put a lot of time and trying before you figure out the exact amount of range for the 8 parameters in order to gain the desired control over the results. Does that make sense to you?

donrwatters
        Participant
        panmorpheo wrote:

Thank you. I think that what you are suggesting is indeed very powerful and flexible but still is not able to produce the same result of the ribbon  in the H9 algorithms. What I specifically consider very useful and missing in your suggestion is the ability to work with 2 presets, say A and B, which you know exactly how they sound and very conveniently can browse and decide if they are the right ones for you to use in any specific application, and to be able to morph between them in such a way that every parameter of the algorithm (not “only” 8, which by the way I agree is already very powerful) morphs from A to the B with total control over the musical effect you are after because, as I said, you know exactly how B will sound like at the end of the morphing from A to B. The solution you are suggesting may produce similar results but you have to put a lot of time and trying before you figure out the exact amount of range for the 8 parameters in order to gain the desired control over the results. Does that make sense to you?

Casual bystander here…

I have two H9’s and the H9000 and I was curious to get this working from a strictly academic point of view.  It works like a champ for me.  I created two parallel algorithms in an FX chain, and automated many parameters that I wanted to mix together.  I was able to easliy morph between algorithms using the main Mix control for each algorithm, along with automating the parameters that I wanted to change.

However, the statement that you’re making is a little confusing for me.  The H9 can only run a single preset/algorithm at a time.  So, there’s no morphing between presets.  There’s changing parameters for the preset itself in the H9, but that’s it as far as I know.  One thing that you’re highlighting is that you need more than 8 functions mapped to parameters.  The H9K can be manipulated by MIDI and expression pedals for any number of parameters, not just the 8 exposed in the general functions for the algorithm.  I have setup the H9K in the DAW and Gig Performer to map all of the inputs and outputs (8 each, 16 total for the algorithm) and the parameters inside of the algorithm, using a Presonus Faderport 16 faders in MIDI mode and a Komplete Kontrol S88 MKII using the encoder knobs, plus expression pedals connected directly to the H9K.  You can map whatever you want, in tons of different ways.  The DAW can do it independently too, sans hardware controller.  This was all within a single FX Chain, but the controls can be extended to the session level and the same can be done for the 4 FX Chains that are available.

So, I’m not sure that I completely understand how it isn’t working in the way that you want it to.  Is it that you’re just looking to have things premapped to a given control that you can map to, without having to go through all of the things that I’ve described?

ssgrfk
      Participant

I believe what the original post (poster?) means by morphing within presets, is what you might more accurately describe as morphing between a group of different parameter settings within a given preset / algorythm… 

so, say you have Reverb XX with 12 parameters. you have one ‘preset’ within that reverb which is those 12 parameters + their values, then you have another ‘preset’ within the same Reverb which is simply the same 12 parameters with different values..  the ability to morph between those ‘presets’ would basically be the same as adjusting all the parameters that change between those 2 presets, at once, with the one control.. So. one knob for example that, when turned fully to the left, = Preset A, then when rotated fully to the right = preset B.. 

with the ability to map parameters to 1 or more morph groups.. 

this kind of feature is already existing in a number of audio products.. the Nord Modular being one for example and i think the feature would be an excellent addition to the H9000

panmorpheo
        Participant
        ssgrfk wrote:

I believe what the original post (poster?) means by morphing within presets, is what you might more accurately describe as morphing between a group of different parameter settings within a given preset / algorythm… 

so, say you have Reverb XX with 12 parameters. you have one ‘preset’ within that reverb which is those 12 parameters + their values, then you have another ‘preset’ within the same Reverb which is simply the same 12 parameters with different values..  the ability to morph between those ‘presets’ would basically be the same as adjusting all the parameters that change between those 2 presets, at once, with the one control.. So. one knob for example that, when turned fully to the left, = Preset A, then when rotated fully to the right = preset B.. 

with the ability to map parameters to 1 or more morph groups.. 

this kind of feature is already existing in a number of audio products.. the Nord Modular being one for example and i think the feature would be an excellent addition to the H9000

Yes, that’s exactly what the original post meant! I do not own an H9 but in my understanding that’s what the “ribbon” control does from Preset A to Preset B. I would love to see implemented in the H9000 this feature exactly in the H9’s way. More than anything, being the H9000 very flexible and articulated and for this reason being potentially complicated and time consuming to program/map macros, etc., this feature would optimize some workflows big time.

moschops
      Participant

Morphing between Snapshots would indeed be amazing, as it stands now, playing live and selecting a new snapshot will just cut the audio off.

A crossfade would be great if morphing is too CPU intensive?

J20056
      Participant

I can confirm that ganging parameters on a knob, or in my case (H9000R has no knobs), to a MIDI expression pedal, works perfectly.

In fact, I wound buying a H9 in addition to my H9000 mostly because I wanted to replicate the ribbon presets as they capture the intelligence of a preset user. I mean, a H9000 complex preset with many controls is challenging to tweak to produce pleasing variations.

In fact, it would be nice if Eventide could somehow offer these “ribbon presets” so that H9000 users could include them into their H9000 MIDI controls without having to buy a H9 *and* re-purchase algos that they already own on their H9000. But I love Eventide and I don’t mind giving them some deserved incremental business.

Back to the problem at hand, the main issue is that the 4 FX Blocks in the H9000 cannot be connected internally. I had suggested years ago upon first look that it would be a crucial functionality, but it may be very difficult to do for hardware reasons.

What I wind up doing, as far as blending FX chains, is to connect “externally” my H9000R to a Switchblade GL unit. It effectively allows me to include my H9000 in my guitar rig as 4 stereo “analog in/out” or “virtual H9” units, and I can do any cross-fade or blend from the Switchblade and control all cross fades via MIDI expressions.

It clearly would be great to have the ability to blend FX chains in the box of the H9000, but I don’t know that it is necessarily as trivial task.

J20056
      Participant

Ron,

All my expression pedals are used externally to a DAW, either to control cross fade volumes of the Swtichblade, or to control H9000 FX parameters.

I am not sure in what context I would that for a DAW, but if you mean recording automation of certain channel volumes or else in a DAW, I suppose it is doable. I usually record fade automation from my control surface so I don’t know how to do it from an expression pedal but I assume it’s easy enough depending on interface.

J20056
      Participant

Unless you meant DAW control in a Re-amping type of scenario? I have never tried taking the MIDI signal out of a DaW automation track and send it back to my guitar rig to do what you describe. Assuming the connectivity is possible, I suppose it could be used to reamp and do more precise fades and so on versus during recording and losing forever the ability to fine tune

Rcoleman_AOX
      J20056 wrote:

“What I wind up doing, as far as blending FX chains, is to connect “externally” my H9000R to a Switchblade GL unit. It effectively allows me to include my H9000 in my guitar rig as 4 stereo “analog in/out” or “virtual H9″ units, and I can do any cross-fade or blend from the Switchblade and control all cross fades via MIDI expressions.”

This is an excellent workaround. Since you are controlling the blend via midi (expression) then it seems to me that the expression control could be linked to a fader which can then be automated or manually controlled from within the daw. Is this a valid thought?

Ron

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.