H9000 – Radio compress

Home Forums Products Rackmount H9000 – Radio compress

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      alexone
      Participant

Is it just me or does the Radio Compress algorithm  (2320) crackle as soon as the compressor is working?

Matthias Adloff
      Participant

If you mind to define “crackle”…

To be honest, in the days of having Weiss MK3 and Eventide Omnipressor as plugins and still being able to buy brand new, working hardware originals like the Manley M/P, Neve Portico or EL Distressor or whatever, I never had the idea to use the H9000 for any compression stuff, but it was a real nice experience to check this one out!

My findings: Yes it ruins the sound (if you mean that with crackles) especially in the bass range, but it also has some magic to it, in the typical 90ies style! Don’t forget, this algorithm is probably 25 years old. So we can call it genuine, as if we would still use a TC Finalizer or something like that. If time has come and the 90ies sound is ‘en vogue’ again, you will love this one. For a classical concert or a modern RnB recording, I would (definitely!) not recommend it.

alexone
      Participant

I just received my H9000r and explore fx. I have some high end hardwares and plugins and don’t intend to replace my standard gear by this. Just interested in fx and find this one crackles a lot: it’s a loud and bad noise, not an emulation of analog gain. I don’t remember: I think that the “threshold” makes this loud noise happens (I’m actually not in my studio).

alexone
      Participant

I am refering to an issue. To summary: with some settings of this algo, there are loud and worrying digital crackles in my monitors. Of course, I verified the gains level.

Matthias Adloff
      Participant

It wasn’t my intention to ignore your issue, excuse me. Well, to answer your question, I cannot see any severe digital crackles once the compressor is working. I tried a few settings, and yes, there is quite a lot of harmonic distortion going on if you crank it up, but for a full programme material I wouldn’t say it sounds like digital crackle. Maybe you can specify the settings AND the type of source going into it, I will give it a try.

alexone
      Participant

No problem Matthias.

And no, it’s not harmonic at all, it’s really loud digital crackling. This is by no means an artistic effect, it is a problem that makes me stop immediately and look for the problem. But I don’t know if the problem is on my side: a defect cable, too hot gain (though I looked), a faulty H9000 (but until now that’s the only algorithm that made that noise). I run my H9000r on 96K. I tried for 20 minutes. I’ll look again later, as soon as I have time.

italoop
      Participant

That preset comes from the DSP4000 days. The Compressor module has a known bug causing that crackle. It was never fixed. Compressor 2 was added, which doesn’t have artifacts and is a little heavier in DSP resources. If you use Vsig it would be worth changing the module and things will be ok.

Puppeteer
      Participant

That preset comes from the DSP4000 days. The Compressor module has a known bug causing that crackle. It was never fixed. Compressor 2 was added, which doesn’t have artifacts and is a little heavier in DSP resources. If you use Vsig it would be worth changing the module and things will be ok.

Hi Italoop,

Is the ducker block, the one with the bug, as that’s the dynamics in this algorithm on the H9000? I assume compressor is the block that we can replace ducker with.  There isn’t compressor2 on the H9000.

italoop
        Participant

I have no idea what’s in the H9000 and the bug fixing. You could test Compressor alone and check if it’s still buggy or not.

In the old days the Ducker was also used as a compressor. Maybe those presets were created even before the Compressor module was released.

I would also test the Ducker alone to get a clear picture for both modules.

Puppeteer
      Participant

I’ve done a quick replacement of ducker with compressor.  There is a SIG2 and a 9ka algorithm file in this zip file.

The duckers had the gain parameter set to adc-zero, which doesn’t exist, and I can’t set it to that from VSIG. I left the gaincntl set to 0 for the 4 instances.

If there are issues with this, let me know.

I haven’t tested this, just done the straight substitution.

Let me know if this fixes the issue.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      alexone
      Participant

Hello,

Thank you very much. Unfortunately the issue is still here.

I don’t know anything about eventide algortihm. Is there a direct way to find out when they date? Do you select the “product type” filter in Emote?

Puppeteer
      Participant

Can you let me know the settings or save a preset where the crackling is easily heard, and I’ll have a look into it.

alexone
      Participant

I just need to make the comp works (with the threshold). See the attachment for an example

alexone
      Participant

I no longer see the attachment in my previous post (??)

alexone
      Participant

I am having issues also with the forum (lol).
      First of all, the edits of my last message are not taken into account.
      Secondly, I can’t attach files (I don’t see an attached file whereas I upload files (I tried native format, zip) in my last three messages above.
      I have tried with Opera and with Chrome: same issue.

edit: ah it looks like it works now (???!!)

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.