Home Forums Products Rackmount H9000 routing and channel count

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      vk100
      Participant

Hi,

I think I have a grasp on the overall architecture of the eventide, namely that the H9000 can run 16 algorithms organised within a miximum of 4 fx chains which can contain up to 4 fx each.  Now, let say I want the H9000 to handle 8 different effects for 8 different tracks as insert, plus one fx chain with 4 fx in it, and 4 effects as auxiliary. The “expert routing” page on the manual led me to think that it was possible: I’m I wrong?

Subsidiary question: any alorithim can output a stereo signal, right? So I suppose it is possible to process 16 stereo inputs (therefore 32 in and 32 out) with a madi expansion card?

Thanks!

floresp640
      Eventide Staff
      vk100 wrote:

Hi,

I think I have a grasp on the overall architecture of the eventide, namely that the H9000 can run 16 algorithms organised within a miximum of 4 fx chains which can contain up to 4 fx each.  Now, let say I want the H9000 to handle 8 different effects for 8 different tracks as insert, plus one fx chain with 4 fx in it, and 4 effects as auxiliary. The "expert routing" page on the manual led me to think that it was possible: I'm I wrong?

Subsidiary question: any alorithim can output a stereo signal, right? So I suppose it is possible to process 16 stereo inputs (therefore 32 in and 32 out) with a madi expansion card?

Thanks!

Hi! 

Yes! That setup would be totally possible and as a matter of fact, that is how I use my H9k for the most part. You dont have to limit each FXChain to one connection, you can have up to 4 stereo connections inside the FXChains in the current software. This allows me to use 4 different H/W inserts in pro tools (or other DAW's) while using just 1 FXChain. In this scenario, each stereo channel in the FXChain would be limited to just one algorithm (since each FXChain is limited to 4 algorithms). 

Yes to the second question as well! In the current software, you can have up to 16 Stereo I/O's. A MADI or DANTE expansion could certainly accomplish this but you can also do this with the built in I/O's on the H9000. For example, You can use 16 channels of USB, 8 channels of Analog and 8 channels of ADAT. 

Hope this helps!

Pat

vk100
        Participant
        floresp640 wrote:
        Hi,

Yes! That setup would be totally possible and as a matter of fact, that is how I use my H9k for the most part. You dont have to limit each FXChain to one connection, you can have up to 4 stereo connections inside the FXChains in the current software. This allows me to use 4 different H/W inserts in pro tools (or other DAW’s) while using just 1 FXChain. In this scenario, each stereo channel in the FXChain would be limited to just one algorithm (since each FXChain is limited to 4 algorithms). 

Yes to the second question as well! In the current software, you can have up to 16 Stereo I/O’s. A MADI or DANTE expansion could certainly accomplish this but you can also do this with the built in I/O’s on the H9000. For example, You can use 16 channels of USB, 8 channels of Analog and 8 channels of ADAT. 

Hope this helps!

Pat

Thanks a bunch for this complete answer! If I understand correctly, if I want to use the effects as inserts, I need to set them in parallel within the FX chain, and assign each track I want to each effect, right?

Making electronic music without a computer, I’m trying to find a way to organize all the audio sources in an efficient manner. Madi allows me to handle the digitalised signal of all my instrument in quite an easy way, once the digital conversion has been made. But so far, audio over USB has not been that popular amongst synth makers…so it’s quite difficult to make use of the USB port on the H9000.

Thanks for the answer!

Vincent

floresp640
        Eventide Staff

Yes,

The effects would need to be setup in parallel within the FX Chain and arranged so that each effect is being sent to different IO's. 

Hope this helps!

Pat

vk100
      Participant

Perfect! A great thanks!

Vincent

Tom Slater
      Participant

Hello, I’m holding out for the H900R when it ships early next year.

I have a similar question about i/o and channel count but related specifically to the 16 channels over USB.

Firstly: Using a Windows machine – would I need to select the H9000 as my audio interface to make use of the 16 x channels over USB? Or, will it run in parralell to my Antelope Goliath? 

Secondly: I work with 3rd order Ambisonics which means 16 channels audio channels per track. Could I insert the H9000R on one of thise tracks and apply the same instance of a reverb preset to each of the 16 channles?

Many thanks

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        Tom Slater wrote:

Firstly: Using a Windows machine – would I need to select the H9000 as my audio interface to make use of the 16 x channels over USB? Or, will it run in parralell to my Antelope Goliath? 

I think you can only have one USB audio interface active at a time on Windows, but I will check with my colleagues.   An alternative would be to use a MADI expansion card in the H9000, which will give you 32 channels of IO between the Goliath and the H9000.  We haven't tested this configuration as we would need to acquire a Goliath, but assuming the routing supports it, that should work.

Tom Slater wrote:

Secondly: I work with 3rd order Ambisonics which means 16 channels audio channels per track. Could I insert the H9000R on one of thise tracks and apply the same instance of a reverb preset to each of the 16 channles?

Yes, you should be able to have 16 instances of the algorithm running and set up parallel routing so that they are all independent.

Tom Slater
      Participant

Thanks for your quick reply. You’re correct that Windows/ASIO will only support one audio interface at a time. I assume you could agregate devices in OSX and simply add the extra 16 channels from the H9000 to the channel count of an existing audio interface.

The Goliath has 64 channels of MADI i/o so perhaps this is the best way to make use of the H9000 large channel count. This is very exciting! I’ve been waiting for an outboard FX unit that could support 3rd order Ambisonics!

Do you have a price for the MADI expansion card yet? Also any update on the shipping date for H9000R?

Many thanks

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.