H9000 Setup Questions

Home Forums Products Rackmount H9000 Setup Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      iVardensphere
      Participant

Hi gang. I hope everyone is safe and well. I have a few questions while trying to set up my H9000

I am on a Windows 10 machine using an RME interface (I use TotalMix constantly). As I am on a windows machine, I have not figured out a good/approved way to use the H9000 USB channels while still using my normal interface. To this end, I have been using the ADAT channels. I have had some success routing everything through Totalmix and multichannel into the H9000 but when I change sessions, all the established routings get tossed and duplicating the routing is proving to be challenging. 

Additionally Emote doesn’t recoginize any attached machine. The only available option in Emote is to set up an IP address. I am uisng the latest version of Emote (downloaded today). The H9000 version is 1.1.5. Do i need to find a way to update the machine first or can I do that through Emote, provided I can make the software find the machine? 

Many thanks for the bandwidth, folks!

jbamberg
      Eventide Staff
      iVardensphere wrote:

Hi gang. I hope everyone is safe and well. I have a few questions while trying to set up my H9000

I am on a Windows 10 machine using an RME interface (I use TotalMix constantly). As I am on a windows machine, I have not figured out a good/approved way to use the H9000 USB channels while still using my normal interface. To this end, I have been using the ADAT channels. I have had some success routing everything through Totalmix and multichannel into the H9000 but when I change sessions, all the established routings get tossed and duplicating the routing is proving to be challenging.

Additionally Emote doesn't recoginize any attached machine. The only available option in Emote is to set up an IP address. I am uisng the latest version of Emote (downloaded today). The H9000 version is 1.1.5. Do i need to find a way to update the machine first or can I do that through Emote, provided I can make the software find the machine?

Many thanks for the bandwidth, folks!

Hi there,

Thanks for the well wishes.

In Windows 10, it's not possible to create aggregate audio devices at the system level, which means that unfortunately you can't use the USB interface of your H9000 and your RME interface at the same time.  Using ADAT is a good way to get around this, but it's limited to 8 channels.  If you need more, and your RME device has MADI, you could get a MADI expansion card for the H9000, which would give you 32 channels of IO.

The way that Sessions work is that the routing is included in the Session, so as you say, when you switch Sessions, the routing changes, and we understand that sometimes this isn't what you want to happen.  We could make it possible to keep the existing routing when changing Sessions, although as the routing depends on what you have loaded in the FX chains, that might not always give you a sensible result.  We came up with a different idea, which is to add a "Global IO" which you could use as a routing source and destination, and that would be the same for all sessions.  The current plan is to bring this feature out with version 1.3 of the H9000 software, which we're targeting for release later this year.  In the meantime, the best approach is probably for you to create your own sessions as templates using the ADAT IO and stick to using those.

Regarding emote – how are you connected?  You'll need either a wired ethernet connection or wifi (using the USB wifi adapter supplied with the H9000).  The emote control protocol doesn't run over the USB connection, which is perhaps a bit unintuitive, but the USB connection only handles real time audio and MIDI data.  It's a good idea to upgrade the H9000 to the latest production version, 1.2.  This can be done from emote or from the unit itself, if you connect it to a network that has an internet connection.  If you need more help with the network setup, please let us know and we'll contact you directly.

iVardensphere
      Participant

Thanks for the reply. You guys rock. The H9000 does connect to the internet and I have updated it directly from the menu on the front panel. It is operating in version 1.2.2 (3)

I reinstalled Emote (again. latest available revison) which still does not see any sort of H9000 connected. Just a blank, black screen with the option to manually enter an IP. I’m not familiar with juggling IPs so I’ve shy’d away from doing that thus far. Both the H9000 and the computer are on the same network which, according to the manual should work. 

iVardensphere
      Participant

I should add… while my H9000 did connect to the internet and successfully updated, I am not reading an IP address from it. It is in DHCP mode (I’m not sure how to do manual IP manipulation) and I suspect that might be at the root of things. 

Thanks again for all the help. You’re amazing!

iVardensphere
      Participant

Good to have you on board, David.

While my H9000 did connect to the internet and did download the latest version to update itself, the network page comes up as all 0.0.0.0 and IP. IP Config doesn’t change this. Strange up factual.

iVardensphere
      Participant

I’ll add that running an ethernet cable from my router isn’t really an option in my home, sadly.

iVardensphere
      Participant

I mentioned above that IP Config didn’t do the trick but I might not have been clear. Performing the IP config still results in all 0’s. I do suspect that to be the source of the problem

dbaylies
      Eventide Staff

Ah, sorry I missed that!

Perhaps this conversation would be better finished over email – could you send your email address to support@eventide.com , referencing this forum thread? I will get in touch with you to help resolve this.

-David

jbamberg
      Eventide Staff
      iVardensphere wrote:

I reinstalled Emote (again. latest available revison) which still does not see any sort of H9000 connected. Just a blank, black screen with the option to manually enter an IP. I'm not familiar with juggling IPs so I've shy'd away from doing that thus far. Both the H9000 and the computer are on the same network which, according to the manual should work. 

I just checked in the manual and on the download page and they are both missing a vital piece of information for Windows users.  Emote depends on the Apple Bonjour library in order to find and connect to the H9000.  This needs to be downloaded and installed for it to work.  I apologize for this – we've been meaning to update the documentation but it hasn't happened yet.  I'll make sure this happens soon.  Anyway, I expect that this is your problem, and here's a link to install this package:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL999?locale=en_US

joeydego
      Participant
      iVardensphere wrote:

Thanks for the reply. You guys rock. The H9000 does connect to the internet and I have updated it directly from the menu on the front panel. It is operating in version 1.2.2 (3)

I reinstalled Emote (again. latest available revison) which still does not see any sort of H9000 connected. Just a blank, black screen with the option to manually enter an IP. I’m not familiar with juggling IPs so I’ve shy’d away from doing that thus far. Both the H9000 and the computer are on the same network which, according to the manual should work. 

Are you trying to connect wirelessly? just run an Ethernet cable. They’re dirt cheap and it’ll give you rock solid performance. I had hit and miss results wirelessly. 

iVardensphere
      Participant
      jbamberg wrote:

iVardensphere wrote:

I just checked in the manual and on the download page and they are both missing a vital piece of information for Windows users.  Emote depends on the Apple Bonjour library in order to find and connect to the H9000.  This needs to be downloaded and installed for it to work.  I apologize for this – we’ve been meaning to update the documentation but it hasn’t happened yet.  I’ll make sure this happens soon.  Anyway, I expect that this is your problem, and here’s a link to install this package:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL999?locale=en_US

haha. ok. I loaded that software and it wants me to select my upstairs printer (as it is the Bonjour Printer Wizard). Perhaps you copied the wrong link? You mentioned the Apple Bonjour Library

Regardless of that, running Emote yields the same results. 

jbamberg
      Eventide Staff
      iVardensphere wrote:

haha. ok. I loaded that software and it wants me to select my upstairs printer (as it is the Bonjour Printer Wizard). Perhaps you copied the wrong link? You mentioned the Apple Bonjour Library

Regardless of that, running Emote yields the same results. 

I'm pretty sure that link was the right one the last time I used it, which admittedly was quite a while ago.  It's a bit misleading that they call it "Print Services" – it actually installs a system component for finding any Bonjour services on the network.  Anyway, it sounds like it didn't fix your problem.  I don't have a Windows system here at home, so I'll contact a colleague who does.

dbaylies
      Eventide Staff
      iVardensphere wrote:

I should add… while my H9000 did connect to the internet and successfully updated, I am not reading an IP address from it. It is in DHCP mode (I'm not sure how to do manual IP manipulation) and I suspect that might be at the root of things. 

Thanks again for all the help. You're amazing!

Hi iVardensphere,

I am the aforementioned colleague with a Windows system. I was able to reproduce your issue, and found that after installing Bonjour Print Services from that link, I then had to restart my computer to see the H9000 in Emote. This may not work for you, but it is worth a shot in case it is that simple.

Additionally, you mentioned that you couldn't read an IP from your H9K. If the above idea doesn't work, you could trying reading the IP from the network page on the H9000 – the H9000 IP address should be listed with the details of your wireless network. You could then connect through Emote by manually adding your H9K with the plus sign at the bottom of the left panel in Emote.

Regarless, the H9K should just show up in Emote. If restarting your computer doesn't work, we'll keep looking into why that is.

Let me know how this all goes,

David

dbaylies
      Eventide Staff
      iVardensphere wrote:
      Good to have you on board, David. While my H9000 did connect to the internet and did download the latest version to update itself, the network page comes up as all 0.0.0.0 and IP. IP Config doesn't change this. Strange up factual.

Thanks for the image! The 0.0.0.0 address may be the problem – if you press "IP CONFIG", then "DHCP", it should reinitiate the DHCP request and gie you a proper IP address. Could you try that and let me know if it then shows a valid IP address?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.