H9000 users: what is your use/workflow?????

Home Forums Products Rackmount H9000 users: what is your use/workflow?????

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      joeydego
      Participant

Curious what the typical use and workflow looks like for H9000 users. I’m currently using “only” 16 channels, 8 via ADAT and 8 audio. Using this in a modest home recording setup. Would like to hear how some of the user base connects, and pics if you have! 

macgee
      Participant
      joeydego wrote:

Curious what the typical use and workflow looks like for H9000 users. I’m currently using “only” 16 channels, 8 via ADAT and 8 audio. Using this in a modest home recording setup. Would like to hear how some of the user base connects, and pics if you have! 

i saw your post in another thread using UAD x8

that’s my exact config using UAD +audio & adat and then there’s the 16 DAW channels to use as well if needed

UAD Engl Savage is a pretty good Amp Sim but I’m adding a Strymon Iridium to use for Amps & Speaker Sim instead

Apollo is great for integrating the H9000, Synths & other gear – with a patchbay of course

John Baylies
      Participant

I use the H9KR and RME Fireface 800 to process my tuba and other wind instrumentalists who jam with me. The Dante card lets me route audio between FX Chains, and I'm trying to find a set of algorithms that I can use for an entire performance without having to swap anything. I plan to use Max/MSP's pattr object to save presets, and Ableton's dummy clips to automate gradual parameter changes. I have ableton set up in a way that lets me record all the dry mic inputs and the wet FXs simultaneously.

Here's a video of the last jam I had. It's definitely a work in progress… https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b4ug71NiROi20hikl-mh0-Um1gLyFIHn/view?usp=drive_web

John Baylies
      Participant

Thanks guys! Everyone except the percussionist is processed by the H9KR. My MacBook is just for recording and isn’t processing any audio. I’m thinking of purchasing a Behringer X32 Rack to make mixing easier. Plus the X32 can support Dante too. Being able to gate, compress, and EQ the dry input and wet output without taking up a bunch of algo slots will be nice. And it'd be easy to bring in a sound person to mix for me since the X32 is so ubiquitous.

If you guys have any other ideas about versatile rackmount mixers w/ Dante, let me know! I'm open to other options.

rskaudio
      Participant

I mostly am using it for music mixing and hopefully will get it integrated for production as well but am only a couple months in.

So far, I’m running 8 i/o Analog and 8 i/o of AES fed from a Digi 192 (while anxiously awaiting the HDx card…)

My template has the first two engines with a stereo pair in each, the 3 third with two stereo pairs and the 4th running 4 stereo pairs. This leaves some room to add in additional processing on sources if needed and I’ve even run the first two as two FX fed from mono inputs summing to a stereo output when needed.

Curious to hear more of other peoples setups, have been overall really happy with the box.

macgee
      Participant

I find the H9 algos on the H9000 are so much more full range

macgee
      Participant

..and the Iridium is awesome!!

TobyB
      Participant

I’d like to ask some  rather basic questions.

I have Apollo X and a new H9000 … with a patchbay connected to the D25 analogue i/o, and the ADAT out to the Apollo. Apollo i/o via patchbay similar to your MacGee

Up until now I have really only used the inputs of the Apollo, mic’s, guitars direct or via an Fractal (SPDIF), and synths. Only outboard would be a pedal between synth and Apollo. UAD plugins if not using a DAW. I can still use the H9000 like a big pedal … instrument to analogue in to analogue out to Apollo with cables. Or instrument to H9000 analogue in to ADAT Apollo.

How are you sending stuff to the H9000 otherwise and getting it back … do you route things in Console i/o matrix, do you send things to a Cue channel and route that out to the patchbay (headphone channels?), do you use Emote instead or as well, or what … I’m sure this is very basic but I’m slightly overwhelmed and confused by possibilities …

joeydego
      Participant
      macgee wrote:
      joeydego wrote:

i saw your post in another thread using UAD x8

that’s my exact config using UAD +audio & adat and then there’s the 16 DAW channels to use as well if needed

UAD Engl Savage is a pretty good Amp Sim but I’m adding a Strymon Iridium to use for Amps & Speaker Sim instead

Apollo is great for integrating the H9000, Synths & other gear – with a patchbay of course

Question for ya. I’m assuming you’re connected ADAT and analog I/O like I am. Do you direct monitor when tracking and are you using cue channels in console to get eventide fx? Also, how are you routed in your DAW? I have a Townsend mic plugged into XLR 3 and 4. I can’t seem to NOT hit the identical eventide analog channel, even though it’s not bussed or sent to it in the session.

Ed Driscoll
      Participant
      macgee wrote:

The CrushStation fuzz effect on the H9000 sounds fantastic driving the Strymon Iridium. It’s a brilliant combination.

(Drinking Fresca while re-amping DI’ed guitars through H9000 in April during the Covid lockdown into the Iridium for maximum rock & roll ambience.)

joeydego
      Participant
      John Baylies wrote:

I use the H9KR and RME Fireface 800 to process my tuba and other wind instrumentalists who jam with me. The Dante card lets me route audio between FX Chains, and I'm trying to find a set of algorithms that I can use for an entire performance without having to swap anything. I plan to use Max/MSP's pattr object to save presets, and Ableton's dummy clips to automate gradual parameter changes. I have ableton set up in a way that lets me record all the dry mic inputs and the wet FXs simultaneously.

Here's a video of the last jam I had. It's definitely a work in progress… https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b4ug71NiROi20hikl-mh0-Um1gLyFIHn/view?usp=drive_web

Cutting edge stuff! Reminds me of my high school band days.

macgee
      Participant
      John Baylies wrote:

I use the H9KR and RME Fireface 800 to process my tuba and other wind instrumentalists who jam with me. The Dante card lets me route audio between FX Chains, and I’m trying to find a set of algorithms that I can use for an entire performance without having to swap anything. I plan to use Max/MSP’s pattr object to save presets, and Ableton’s dummy clips to automate gradual parameter changes. I have ableton set up in a way that lets me record all the dry mic inputs and the wet FXs simultaneously.

Here’s a video of the last jam I had. It’s definitely a work in progress… https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b4ug71NiROi20hikl-mh0-Um1gLyFIHn/view?usp=drive_web

Interesting video John, nice one! i take it everything is processed by the H9000 somehow? Dante card makes a lot of sense..

I’d like to get a Dante card but will see once I finish my project – I don’t currently see myself needing to route serially to other FX Chains at the moment but love the simplicity and latency Dante brings

macgee
      Participant
      joeydego wrote:
      Question for ya. I’m assuming you’re connected ADAT and analog I/O like I am. Do you direct monitor when tracking and are you using cue channels in console to get eventide fx? Also, how are you routed in your DAW? I have a Townsend mic plugged into XLR 3 and 4. I can’t seem to NOT hit the identical eventide analog channel, even though it’s not bussed or sent to it in the session.

That is my current setup using Eventide ADAT to UAD ADAT and Eventide Analog IO

I’ve only just started tracking for my project and firstly guitars so it’s quite simple. I don’t think I’ll track anything direct through the H9000 though will monitor through it.

Could use auxes in Console or just route back out of UAD through H9000 back into UAD and then using the H9000 mix settings…several options but am developing my workflow as I progress.

Everything goes through the Samson S-Patch Plus to give ultimate flexibility

I’ve attached a pic of the Samson S-PATCH Setup – took me ages to settle on that but it’s working nicely now

joeydego
      Participant
      TobyB wrote:

I’d like to ask some  rather basic questions.

I have Apollo X and a new H9000 … with a patchbay connected to the D25 analogue i/o, and the ADAT out to the Apollo. Apollo i/o via patchbay similar to your MacGee

Up until now I have really only used the inputs of the Apollo, mic’s, guitars direct or via an Fractal (SPDIF), and synths. Only outboard would be a pedal between synth and Apollo. UAD plugins if not using a DAW. I can still use the H9000 like a big pedal … instrument to analogue in to analogue out to Apollo with cables. Or instrument to H9000 analogue in to ADAT Apollo.

How are you sending stuff to the H9000 otherwise and getting it back … do you route things in Console i/o matrix, do you send things to a Cue channel and route that out to the patchbay (headphone channels?), do you use Emote instead or as well, or what … I’m sure this is very basic but I’m slightly overwhelmed and confused by possibilities …

Hey there. We have a lot of the same gear. How I have my H9000 connected to my Apollo x8 is 8 channels adat and 8 line ins DP25. My computer is modern and fast enough that I run a 32 sample rate and DAW monitor, negating the need to do anything through console. I have a 9000 with the screen but still use Emote 100% of the time. I work in Studio One and assigned a macro button to launch 8 stereo tracks of pipeline to my H9000 and an instance of Emote so it doesn’t take me 5 minutes to set up. My fractal also runs SPDIF and doesn’t meet the 9000 until its in a session. Ive used cue tracks in Console to do this, it works fine but I’m always sitting in front of studio one so its just not my workflow. I have my 9000 hard wired with an Ethernet cable. I had issues wireless. When it worked it worked but when it didn’t I wanted to die. After wiring its rock solid there. So in short, if you use the H9000 “like a pedal” as a single stereo channel, it would be a tremendous waste of resources. If you’re in OSX, you CAN create an aggregate device and have 16 channels USB, and I THINK another 16 between analog and digital but dont quote me. I’m on windows and honestly 8 stereo or 16 mono or combinations thereof for me is more than I typically use in a session as a home recording aficionado. Good luck and feel free to HMU with any other questions. 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.