• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      macgee
      Participant

Hi Eventide

The H9000 FAQ pages are saying VSIG is supported on H9000

https://www.eventideaudio.com/support/product/9106/faqs#11542

I also found Press releases about version 1.1 which specifies VSIG support

https://bassmusicianmagazine.com/2019/01/eventide-software-v11/

https://www.musictech.net/news/gear/namm-2019-eventide-announces-software-v-1-1-for-h9000-and-h9000r/

Is VSIG support launching with V1.1? Does this mean we will be able to use VSIG when 1.1 launches?

Thanks guys – the upcoming update looks great !!

gkellum
      Participant

Yes, we've been testing VSig in private beta with the H9000.  We should be able to use it with the v1.1 release.  It is just the existing Windows only VSig app that's been updated to support the H9000 at this point.  We do have plans to make deeper changes to VSig to support features users have requested like macOS support.

macgee
      Participant

This is all excellent news, thank you!

ndoe22
      Participant

Ahhh excellent news on vsig for Mac

rvickers
      Participant

I can confirm VSig is functional.  Pretty cool to not have to make any physical connection to the box as it’s done just like Emote.

macgee
        Participant
        rvickers wrote:

I can confirm VSig is functional.  Pretty cool to not have to make any physical connection to the box as it’s done just like Emote.

Great you have it working – I’m struggling to get VSIG to connect though.

When you open emote, do you have to put in the physical IP of the H9k hardware or does it autoconnect?

In my case I have to put in IP manually. On mac side it’s automatic though. And in VSIG there’s no option to specify IP of box.

Are you doing in VM or Normal windows install?

For network I’m using USB2 o LAN adaptor and it’s directly conncted to the VM (not through mac) 

Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        macgee wrote:

In my case I have to put in IP manually. On mac side it's automatic though. And in VSIG there's no option to specify IP of box.

There should be a field in the "Send to H9000" dialog where you can enter an IP address.  The dialog lists the H9000s that could be found on your network using bonjour, which may not work from a VM because of network address translation.  (I think different VM hypervisors arrange the networking differently, and some let you choose a NAT or bridging configuration).

If you are able to connect from emote running on your Windows VM by entering the IP address, Vsig should also be able to connect in a similar way.

I'll double check tomorrow that the version we released as beta has this IP address field.

macgee
        Participant
        jbamberg wrote:

There should be a field in the “Send to H9000” dialog where you can enter an IP address.  The dialog lists the H9000s that could be found on your network using bonjour, which may not work from a VM because of network address translation.  (I think different VM hypervisors arrange the networking differently, and some let you choose a NAT or bridging configuration).

If you are able to connect from emote running on your Windows VM by entering the IP address, Vsig should also be able to connect in a similar way.

I’ll double check tomorrow that the version we released as beta has this IP address field.

Thanks Joe

So to your earlier point, you mentioned a sample VSIG file should be used so it seems the VSIG manual example file it guides you through isn’t complete enough but I found a sample of online and the send to h9000 option list up and that now does give option to put in IP.. First few files failed but then I found one that did work so I’m in business!

Thanks for explanation re Bonjour, now I know where to look to solve that 🙂

Very cool, thanks!!!

One final question, is it possible to load Algorithms from the hardware so I can edit them?

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        macgee wrote:

Thanks Joe

So to your earlier point, you mentioned a sample VSIG file should be used so it seems the VSIG manual example file it guides you through isn't complete enough but I found a sample of online and the send to h9000 option list up and that now does give option to put in IP.. First few files failed but then I found one that did work so I'm in business!

Thanks for explanation re Bonjour, now I know where to look to solve that 🙂

Very cool, thanks!!!

One final question, is it possible to load Algorithms from the hardware so I can edit them?

Glad to hear you can successfully connect.

There currently isn't a way to load algorithms from the hardware.  This is mainly because the algorithms don't contain any layout information, so Vsig can't arrange the modules in a useful way graphically.  We did some experimental work to try to add layout information automatically, but it didn't give us good enough results.  It's possible we might revisit this idea though.

rvickers
        Participant
        macgee wrote:

Great you have it working – I’m struggling to get VSIG to connect though.

When you open emote, do you have to put in the physical IP of the H9k hardware or does it autoconnect?

In my case I have to put in IP manually. On mac side it’s automatic though. And in VSIG there’s no option to specify IP of box.

Are you doing in VM or Normal windows install?

For network I’m using USB2 o LAN adaptor and it’s directly conncted to the VM (not through mac) 

Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions

Looks like you are up and running, excellent.  I did have to change my networking to bridged.  I am running VMWare with a Windows 10 install.  I have not installed the bonjuor package so just used the IP.  I’ll do that later.  

I did not have an issue sending a simple algorithm over though and the example one works.  I do however have an issue of what actually constitutes the selected algorithm for the temporary transfer to land in.  It seems to just pick one most of the time which isnt fun if you are trying things in context of multiple algorithms.  I also get errors trying to load other VSig files.  Something about “semi colons, tabs, etc”.  I’ll try the one you shared.

I now have 2 useless “Untitled” algorithms in permanant residence on my H9000 when I was trying to figure out the above slot thing.  I can’t seem to delete.  Anyone know how to delete those algorithms?  Besides a factory reset.  ðŸ™‚

Having had a H8000, I was really looking forward to being able to pull the algorithms as starting points and learning.  It would be really great to get that functionality back.  I wonder if it would be possible for some internal examples to be shared with us from Eventide?

Having fun though.  Great to see progress.

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        rvickers wrote:

I did not have an issue sending a simple algorithm over though and the example one works.  I do however have an issue of what actually constitutes the selected algorithm for the temporary transfer to land in.  It seems to just pick one most of the time which isnt fun if you are trying things in context of multiple algorithms.  I also get errors trying to load other VSig files.  Something about "semi colons, tabs, etc".  I'll try the one you shared.

I now have 2 useless "Untitled" algorithms in permanant residence on my H9000 when I was trying to figure out the above slot thing.  I can't seem to delete.  Anyone know how to delete those algorithms?  Besides a factory reset.  ðŸ™‚

It's worth noting that the sigfile syntax had to be changed for the H9000 in order to allow older sigfiles to be forward-compatible with updated DSP code.  So you can't just load an H8000 sigfile onto the H9000 as-is.  Vsig will convert it, but that conversion might not be perfect.

The slot the algorithm lands in is always the first slot of the first DSP module.    If you rearrange the FX Chain routing, it might not be obvious which is the first slot.  Similarly, if you add and delete FX Chains, it's not obvious which one will be the one on the first DSP module.  We should make this a bit smarter, and give the Vsig user the ability to specify the destination.

To remove the spurious "Untitled" algorithms, which are probably dangling entries in the program database, you can do a "clear current state", which won't affect your saved presets, by holding down SESSIONS+FXCHAINS while powering up.

macgee
      Participant

Bonjour issue now solved too by installing Apple Bonjour Printing Services package!! Awesome 🙂

Thanks for info on editing existing algo..a bit of a pity cos I wanted to add offsets, retrig and midi clock support to a few beautiful algorithms. I recall something about it being possible on 8000 to explore the existing algorithms and learn from them but maybe was confused.

For anyone setting up and wanting to test with a sig file, here is a link to the post on gearslutz for a ‘Midi Modulator” algo by italo

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=10039101&postcount=186

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        macgee wrote:

Bonjour issue now solved too by installing Apple Bonjour Printing Services package!! Awesome 🙂

Thanks for info on editing existing algo..a bit of a pity cos I wanted to add offsets, retrig and midi clock support to a few beautiful algorithms. I recall something about it being possible on 8000 to explore the existing algorithms and learn from them but maybe was confused.

Sorry, that's on us. We should make it clear that the Apple Bonjour Services are needed, and/or package it with our installer.

It's correct that the H8000 allowed you to download algorithms from the box.  I don't know how it addressed the layout issue, though.  We'll come up with a solution for this for the H9000 eventually.

macgee
        Participant
        jbamberg wrote:

Sorry, that’s on us. We should make it clear that the Apple Bonjour Services are needed, and/or package it with our installer.

It’s correct that the H8000 allowed you to download algorithms from the box.  I don’t know how it addressed the layout issue, though.  We’ll come up with a solution for this for the H9000 eventually.

Regarding the download of VSIG files from H9000, you mentioned the issue to be a “layout” issue.

Does this mean that we could theoretically download them however the way it’s displayed in VSIG wouldn’t make sense visually?

If so, couldn’t you allow downloading of the algos with the caveat it won’t look right until you release and update for that? At least we could still work with it in the interim.

The way it is now, for an algo I want to modify, I have to replicate the entire algorithm in VSIG for H9000 from VSIG for H8000 and then modify it.

If we could download it from H9000, I’d just have to copy the layout from the VSIG H8000 to make sense of it but much less effort?

Thanks

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        macgee wrote:

Does this mean that we could theoretically download them however the way it's displayed in VSIG wouldn't make sense visually?

If so, couldn't you allow downloading of the algos with the caveat it won't look right until you release and update for that? At least we could still work with it in the interim.

The way it is now, for an algo I want to modify, I have to replicate the entire algorithm in VSIG for H9000 from VSIG for H8000 and then modify it.

If we could download it from H9000, I'd just have to copy the layout from the VSIG H8000 to make sense of it but much less effort?

Thanks

Well, there's a couple of related issues.

The layout problem existed in the H8000 too.  When you pull a sigfile from the H8000 into vsig, it collapses all the modules on top of each other.  There's an option in Vsig to reposition the modules.   We were hoping to make something that does a better job of the layout, but our experiments didn't give us anything we could use.

The second issue is that we just haven't implemented the Vsig-side functionality to pull algorithms from the unit for the H9000 yet.

We are working on both of these and while I can't promise any specific schedule yet, I think you will be happy with the results.

rvickers
      Participant

Great info. Thanks.

I certainly understand the effort here so thanks for proving this access for those of us willing to dig in. Fast responses with info is great.

macgee
      Participant

awesome to hear – thanks for the update

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.