H9000R latency over ADAT lightpipe

Home Forums Products Rackmount H9000R latency over ADAT lightpipe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      BobGio
      Participant

Just received an H9000R. I had planned to send 8 channels of ADAT optical into the unit and use the 8 channels of analog out on the D sub connector…but when I do, the signal coming back into my analog mixer (Neve 5060) is delayed by quite a bit. Bad enough to make it unsusable. I enabled ADAT I/O and set sync to ADAT are there any other settings I could be overlooking that could cause this delay? First time using the ADAT protocol in the studio, so I hope it’s just user error and can get this configuration to work.

In order to start learnig my way around the H9000R, I switched over to two channels of analog I/O and everything works as exexpected and sounds great.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

-Bob G.

jbamberg
      Eventide Staff
      BobGio wrote:

Just received an H9000R. I had planned to send 8 channels of ADAT optical into the unit and use the 8 channels of analog out on the D sub connector…but when I do, the signal coming back into my analog mixer (Neve 5060) is delayed by quite a bit. Bad enough to make it unsusable. I enabled ADAT I/O and set sync to ADAT are there any other settings I could be overlooking that could cause this delay? First time using the ADAT protocol in the studio, so I hope it's just user error and can get this configuration to work.

This is surprising.  I'd have expected slightly higher latency using analog IO, because the converters add a little.

Can you measure or estimate the latency?  If possible could you try the AES inputs (XLR or DB25) instead and see if that also has this problem?

BobGio
        Participant

[/quote]

This is surprising.  I’d have expected slightly higher latency using analog IO, because the converters add a little.

Can you measure or estimate the latency?  If possible could you try the AES inputs (XLR or DB25) instead and see if that also has this problem?

[/quote]

I wasn’t able to test AES…but I took the spdif cable out my Eclipse (which works fine) and put it into the H9000R and get the same phasey/flanged delayed sound. Thinking this was somehow a digital I/O issue, I purchased an additional audio interface (Prism Orpheus) to use eight analog outputs into the H9000R dsub connectors and once again, same horrible sound. So now I’m in for $7000 and still don’t have a working unit so I’m beyond frustrated at this point. Also can’t register my unit via the website as it tells me my SN is not valid. 

ParkeLie

Hi…. the relentless progress in processor power and memory capacities has allowed each new generation of Harmonizer to be far more powerful than the last, and it’s little surprise that the new flagship H9000 Harmonizer represents a substantial leap forward in this respect from the eight-channel H8000FW that appeared in 2006.

floresp640
      Eventide Staff
      BobGio wrote:

This is surprising.  I'd have expected slightly higher latency using analog IO, because the converters add a little.

[/quote]

I wasn't able to test AES…but I took the spdif cable out my Eclipse (which works fine) and put it into the H9000R and get the same phasey/flanged delayed sound. Thinking this was somehow a digital I/O issue, I purchased an additional audio interface (Prism Orpheus) to use eight analog outputs into the H9000R dsub connectors and once again, same horrible sound. So now I'm in for $7000 and still don't have a working unit so I'm beyond frustrated at this point. Also can't register my unit via the website as it tells me my SN is not valid. 

[/quote]

Hello,

I am so sorry to hear that you are running into some issues with your H9000R. I can defintely help out with registering your H9000. Could you please send me an email at Pflores@eventide.com with your H9000's serial number. I will also look into the latency issue.

Pat

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.