Hello everyone

Home Forums Products Rackmount Hello everyone

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      evo64
      Participant

Hi everyone,

I am the very humble and proud owner of an Eventide Orville. Well, I have had it for about 3 months although I have just scatched the surface so far. 

Maybe this has been asked but perhaps there is something new, I have two questions somewhat unrelated;

First and most important questions to me: in the two months of getting the grips of the Orville, reading the manual and browsing some presets, on two ocassions I had an error. The first time I did not take a photo but the error read something like;  HC ERROR, PLEASE RESET’. After resetting, I didn’t have this issue again.

A couple days ago, I again encountered an error, this time; ERROR – SUGGEST POWER-DOWN (PRESS ANY KET TO CONTINUE)

Again, after turning the unit down and turning back on it was fine. Is this someting I should start to worry about? I asked the previous owner when the first error happened and he said he never had an issue before…

On an unrelated issue, I wondered if someone can suggest me a good and maybe portable case for the Orville? Perhaps something that even acts as a mount? 

Thanks a lot, I have read many dicussions in this forum and I am excited and honoured to learn this new amazing machine. 

Cheers!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

An HC error means that one of the DSPs has hung up. This may be a temporary overload, or it can be  a hardware problem.

If it is associated with a specific preset, the answer is obvious. It can also be caused by an unstable digital input.

evo64
      Participant

Thank you Nickrose for your help. It did seem to be related to a specific preset perhaps, as it didnt seem to happen on the more familiar ones I have used. On both occasions it happened I believe when browsing through some patches. However, based on what you say, this may be a normal little hang up because of a particular patch and doesn’t have to be a hardware issue per se? Might it be that a certain patch is ”overloaded” (for lack of a better word) an audio signal too hot or something and this cause the error? If it happens again, which seems like it might, I’ll try to see if I can re-created the issue again.. 

The depth of this machine is quite something, and far exceeded what I had in mind tbh, especially when it comes to the patches I never even touched yet like ”sound effects” or ”Science fiction” patches. I’m too scared even to click on half the patches because I’m scared of frying something or doing something wrong. The lightning bolt symbols next to some of the patch names defo makes me a bit nervous : 

evo64
      Participant

I’m sorry if I sound like a bit of a noob regarding this but I have some questions regarding how to record the audio from this. Obviously the AD / DA converters on the Orville are renowned. The person I bought the unit from said many of the pro engineers didn’t use the digital ins/outs as the analog converters gave the singal a pleasing qaulity. However, when recording out the unit into my DAW I am using a somewhat ”budget;; soundcard, focusrite.

Something makes me feel that perhaps this is un-doing all the good things the converters in the Orville have done? I can somehow save the audio files onto the unit maybe? I see a memory card slot but I don’t have the card and looks like some legacy thing. Can someone please enlighten me a bit on this? Sorry if posted in the wrong place, otherwise please let me know where to ask! Cheers! 🙂

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

If you don't love the sound of your soundcard, I would suggest you go digital from the Orville.

You can always play it back through the Orville if you want the full round trip experience.

Don't listen too much to what other people say – let your ears be the judge.

evo64
      Participant

Thanks, I just thought maybe there is something wrong with going from an Orville into a $150 soundcard card. For digital I will need a new sound card, thus the question. Cheers

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.