Help with initial set up for H8000FW

Home Forums Products Rackmount Help with initial set up for H8000FW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      italiankid44

Hello everyone,

I am very new to Eventide and the H8000FW. And although I've had my H8000FW for over a year now, I just took it out of the box (don't ask) — When I first purchased this, I was very discouraged by the Manual. And I'm not very computer/electronic savy.

But I think I'm ready to tackle this piece of marvelousness. I have been feverishly trying to get this set up for the past few days…and I'm having a real difficult time configuring my H8000FW with my Mac in general. Specifically with Logic Pro. These are my tech specs:

Mac OSX 10.6.4, and Logic Pro 8.0.2 — I'm also running Windows 7 via bootcamp, but I prefer to set it up with my Mac partition as this is where I create most of my music.

First off…System Preferences doesn't display my H8000FW underneath the "other" devices at the very bottom. I'm not sure why…as the device is connected to my computer, plugged in, and powered on. Is this an issue?

The most confusing part for me though…is setting up an Aggregate Device in the Audio MIDI Setup. I understand that Logic can only support one core audio device at a time, so I have to combine multiple audio sources into a single aggregate source.

This is where I begin to feel like an idiot.

When I open up Audio MIDI Setup I can already see my "Eventide Dice" on the left hand side. I then click the + button to create a new Aggregate device. On the right side, a bunch of devices pop up. First, I select my "Eventide Dice" and make sure I use that as my Clock Source (also leave the resample box unchecked?).

But I have many other options to choose from for my second device to pair with the Eventide Dice: Built in Input, Built in Output, Built in Microphone, or my AT 202 (my personal USB microphone). Common sense tells me to rule out "Built-in Output" as I am using the Eventide Dice as my Output. I'm not sure though.

The pictures I see in the manual has Built-in Audio selected with the Eventide. But I do not see that as an option here. The pictures also appear to be from an older Mac OS…probably Tiger, and from Logic Pro 7…it's driving me crazy. I could be just hyping myself up though — I hope that once I have the Aggregate Device situation cleared up, I can set it up easily with Logic Pro and start hearing some amazing stuff. If anyone can help clear things up for me, it would appreciate it so much. Thanks…I really don't have much of a clue!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I regret that you really do have to follow the User Manual to set these things up – this is complex stuff, and you can't just busk it.  Be sure to follow the instructions regarding setting up the Core Audio connection first, and only when this is fully working as described in the Manual should you move on to Logic.

If you still have problems, contact support@eventide.com.

italiankid44

Thanks for the response. I have followed all the directions in the manual on page 180+ to configure the H8000fw for Macintosh Output. Nothing works. I even updated my drivers for Snow Leopard just to rule that out. I literally have tried every single option possible when it comes to setting up the aggregate device.

I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to busk through this, as I understand the Manual is a key ingredient to mastering this piece. However, the set up is beyond my ken. And I just don't understand why it's not working. Furthermore, it still doesn't show up under the "other" section of system preferences.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

What I need you to do is to follow precisely the instructions in the Manual, noting everything you do and everything you see, and send the results to support@eventide.com.

Please also include all the H8000 software version info as shown on the setup/service/info screens.

Sorry to be repetitive, but these multi-machine systems are very complex and impossible to diagnose without every possible piece of information.

italiankid44

Thank you Nick

I will do just that. I'll also try to include some screen shots if that helps, for good measure. Sorry if I seem electronically inept!

italiankid44

Nick,

After doing some thinking, I guess I should probably confirm that the V5.5beta Driver for Mac OS X (on the Eventide website) is compatible with Snow Leopard? I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.4

If so…Once I download and install the driver onto my Mac, am I all set to go and start configuring it? Or do I have to update the Eventide system via 9-pin firewire cord, or a Compact Flash Card?

Thanks in advance! 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The 5.5B driver on the Web Site supports Snow leopard. You should also update your unit to 5.5B if you are going to use it – you will need a CF card for this.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.