Help with Symphony I/O and H8000FW through AES?EBU ports

Home Forums Products Rackmount Help with Symphony I/O and H8000FW through AES?EBU ports

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      tweekums

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased an H8000FW and I'm trying to connect it to my
      Symphony I/O. I purchased a DB25-DB25 cable and connected them togethor.
      I can't seem to get any signal out of Logic Pro to the H8000FW or visa
      versa. I haven't connected it via firewire yet (I need to go buy the
      cable), but it there a way I can avoid the firewire and simply use the
      AES connections to send and recieve audio.

I have been reading the manual and I'm just getting more and more
      confused. Any help would be awesome! Thansk so much in advance~

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I'm not familiar with your Symphony, but I'm going to guess that it is wired the same way as the H8000, so that when you connect them together with a "one-to-one" cable, you are connecting in to in and out to out, with predictable (non) results.  You would need a "crossover" cable, but these are not widely available.

If you are handy enough to make your own cables you will know what to do, otherwise we recommend a "snake", with DB-25 to XLR. These are available from multiple sources, including (of course) the Eventide Web Store. You can either use one of these to give you XLR AES ins and outs, or two to connect DB-25 to DB-25, with a useful insert capability.

Firewire would be a cheaper option, but my guess is that your unit expects to connect to a computer, rather than a box like the H8000.

tweekums

I've tried the firewire and I was having a hard time with it.

The Symphony does have a similar AES In/Out setup as the Eventide, however I have read a few things about the Symphony needing a (Yamaha style DB25) vs the Eventide's (Tascam style DB25). I'm not sure if this is the overwhelming problem.

I happen to have two db 25- XLR cables, one female, one male with 8 snaked xlr's on each. I just tried plugging them togethor and patching the Etide w/ the Symphony. Any ideas if this will work? And if so which routing options should I go for.

From the Setup menu Firewire1 is blocking, as is AES 11/12. Aes 17/18 however says OK and when I select clock source to 17/18 it seems to be slaving the unit to the symphony (which is what I would like to do, using the symphony clock over the eventide).

Will this setup work, or will I need different cables do you think? The XLR option you mentioned, could you go into a little more detail on that please?   Thanks so much for the reply!

Best,

Alasdair

tweekums

I just did a quick reply, but I'm not sure if it went through or not.

I connected 2 DB25 cables with XLR outs together and in logic when I select AES 5/6 out I am recieving signal for the first time into the Eventide. What is the best way to bring the sound back in? Will these XLR cables work well?  Thanks so much

Alasdair

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You brought up an option I had not considered – the Yamaha DB25 is NOT compatible with the H8000, which you correctly identify as Tascam-type.

Your snakes may or may not work, depending if they are Yamaha or Tascam types.It sounds like they are analog versions, so probably not useful..

Routing options rather depend on what you are trying to do. I'd start with one of the AES8 types.

It sounds as if the best thing for you would be a Yamaha to 4M/4F XLR. These appear to be available from various sources. Then, to connect to the H8000 you need a Tascam to 4M/4F XLR. Just connect the male XLRs to females and you are in business.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.