How do I get rid of that noise?

Home Forums Products Rackmount How do I get rid of that noise?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Hi all,

some patches in the H-8000FW cause a funny noise pattern. We all know that there is always a tiny amount of noise, so it's my idea that the H-8000FW treats this as any other kind of audio and thus there is this weird noise pattern. I *think* that it's almost always something that has to do with feedback. One way to remove this is to insert a gate in the algorithm and adjust the threshold. I don't really like this method, it would be very time consuming and I don't know if it would chop the reverb tails for instance (which rely heavily on feedback+delays). My TC Electronic M-3000 does reverb too and it's more silent. What goes? Any ideas?

Regards,
      Yannis

IDeangelis

Which presets, Yannis?

When hard post processing of fx like reverb, using modulation and multi delay lines, some noise may be present…but not THAT much.

I

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Italo,

please have a look at preset 3910. Load it and don't run audio through it. Tell me if you hear a funny modulation pattern, then adjust it's feedback and mod depth. Do you hear a change in the noise pattern? I have used 3 separate pairs of cables and it's still there. How do I get rid of it?

Regards,

Yannis

IDeangelis

Hi Yannis

preset 3910 Drums-o-Tronica, right?

I hear a pattern that could typically be caused by modulating background noise. Consider that the PLEX modules is looping 8 delays back to each of them, going thru 8 MODFILTERS. This *may* indeed get noisy!

But…

also consider that:

-I'm hearing the pattern only with headphone and my Mackie master out at 0dB and H8000 2 channels faders at +5dB ! That's really LOUD!!! In normal listening conditions and in a mix I wouldn't be concerned with noise. You don't set fx channels at +5dB.

I don't think there's much you can do to get rid of that.

Please notice that all of this has been tested at 48KHz sampling rate.

Now try 96KHz and tell me what you hear. I don't have a 7600 here, only H8000s, running the latest beta OS.

Routing: make sure you are only hearing a single processor (A), removing machine B from the audio path, all in stereo.

best

I

IDeangelis

Correction…

just checked my faders and they are closer to +10dB than +5. That's way out of real life range reasonable use.

best

I

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Italo,

thanks for the swift reply.

currently I am using the H-8000FW in stereo, only processor A, no audio for inputs 3 & 4, at 96 KHz, OS 5.3. Upon loading my Fireface800 spectrum analyzer shows approximately -72dB which certainly deviates from the specs of the H-8000FW. Other presets are at -90dB which is far better. I don't know why… mine is really audible, if I press the bypass button, there is a very noticeable difference. I mean ok I could cut this noise in Cubase but I was wondering whether it'd be safe to insert a gate in these algorithms. Do you think it will have a detriment in the reverb tails, i.e. it would chop the reverb abruptly?

Regards,

Yannis

IDeangelis

Yannis

I'm reporting everything from a strictly ANALOG usage test. No digital.

This is usually a more "true" test.

If you are using 96Khz, try lowering it to 48 and tell me wht difference you hear. I won't say what I hear until you tell yours. (:-))

Gates? like you I hate them. Adding gates to a sigfile is possible as long as there is still enough DSP power to run he presets…and many of those large ones running at 96KHz may only have room for a prayer when it comes to adding modules.

If you get to add gates, verb tails cut depends on how sensitive the gate is set to. The threshold is the key. But with very lush long verb tails I see a problem in getting the gate to close without cutting the fun….or at least there'll be a time gap where noise will be audible anyway, along with the softer part of the tail.

later

I

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

OK, I will try to lower the sample rate and hear what happens.. Maybe it's time for a H-9000 model with 4 DSPs?!!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.