I/O Setup problems with new 8000FW

Home Forums Products Rackmount I/O Setup problems with new 8000FW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      krcassid

Im having some problems with the saved setups in my new 8000. I've created/saved a setup for each situation I use it with (different I/Os, different levels…). Generally, I do not save the presets with the setups. What's happening is this: If I change setups (say for going from one guitar to another) the levels do not change automatically. IE: the pre A/D gain I've saved to match that instrument (bring it to max DB) does not change from the old setup to the new UNLESS I go into the Pre A/D gain and jog the knob a bit–then it "wakes up" and the new gain structure is there. I messed with this for hours until I determined that, if I save w/ presets, the gains do change from setup to setup. But, if you don't change presets (or don't have presets loaded in saved setup), gain settings won't work unless tweaked. This is wrong, right? The purpose of setups is to create routings, gain levels… w/ or w/o presets that can be recalled for different situations. But, it's not working like this. Any ideas?

IDeangelis

The SETUP doesn't save levels settings because there are good reasons for this.

Generally a SETUP is created/store/recalled to save a routing scheme in the H8000.

In a recording session the engineer may need to reconfigure the unit for different apps, like multi stereo to surround processing. Levels don't need to be changed as they are managed outside of the unit and there may be undesired problems w/levels being different in such changes.

In a gtr setup, you should not connect guitars directly to the H8000, using its A/D Gains as level boosters. Always use preamps. When I/O levels are set in an fx processor, they don't really need to be changed. External units should take care of this (preamps, mixers, etc.).

best

krcassid

Th

krcassid

Thx I.

However, SETUP does save levels.  I've been using it for this purpose and (some of the time) it works.  It ALWAYS saves the levels. But, sometimes it will not "implement" the new levels w/o going into levels screen and "jogging" the dial–then they instantly take. 

I use preamps for everything.  I don't run any guitars or other devices direct into the 8000.  However, the whole purpose of saviong setups is to save not just the routing (which you can save in  ROUTINGS), but the entire machine setup.  My preamps vary widely in their output, as do the instruments I plug into them.  I run stereo acoustic guitars through Avalon Pres.  The output of the 2 stereo transducers in one guitar may be dramatically different.  The Avalons can correct this, but not always entirely.  And,when I change guitars?  I can't run to the preamp and readjust everything.  Electric guitar pres are no different.  Some are very hot, others (IE: Mesa Triaxis) are not.  The only way to "equalize" all these different pres is to use the levels contols on the H8000.  Again, this works MOST OF THE TIME, particularly if you save a setup with presets.  Levels change OK.  But, if you save a setup w/o presets, or with same presets (but different levels/ routing), the Levels do not automatically "take". 

An example:  Setup A uses no gain changes (0 dB accross the board).  Setup B uses 20 dB of Pre A/D gain on Analog 1, 10 dB on Analog 2.  Switch from Setup A to B and go into input gain…  the VISIBLE gain is changed.  However, the ACTUAL gain does not change until you go into Pre A/D gain and "jog" the dial (just a micron).  Then it wakes  up and you have correct saved gain. 

I fear I have a defective unit.  This doesn't seem right.  Thoghts?

IDeangelis

That sounds like a bug!

The fact you read a level amount that doesn't reflect in the actual audio…

We'll have to check.

Your unit is not defective. I assume all connections are properly wired, right?

cheers

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.