Im getting pops in my audio from the H9000

Home Forums Products Rackmount Im getting pops in my audio from the H9000

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      ndoe22
      Participant

Hey I have been chasing down a random click or popping issue in my studio on and off for a while.  The other day i finally caught it on a recording pass.  After several weeks changing setting and physical connections i have narrowed it down to the H9000.  

Ill try and give a quick run down of my setup.  I have several sources going into my midas venice f24 mixing desk then i have 8 sends going into the the 8 ins on the H9000 through the db25 connection,  then the analog outs coming from the H9000 through db25 coming back into the desk then the desk is passing the audio channels via firewire to my mac pro into ableton.

I am using the Midas and the H9000 in an aggregate device on the mac that is how they are synced.  

The pops and click resemble the pops you get when 2 digital systems arent clocked correctly but ive used the midas with other interfaces through apples aggregate device with no isssues before

In my test to track down I record the source(digitakt, eurorack synths, ableton sythns) then also record the 8 outs coming from the H9000 in 4 stereo pairs.  I have tried all connection types to rule out a bad db25 connection on the H9000. 

1. analog in and analog out

2. analog in and usb out

3. usb in  and analog out

4. usb in and usb out

All recording passes dry from the source had no clicks or pops regardless of source

All of the passes recorded through the H9000 had the click or pop in them at random moving around different channels 

I will attach a picture to show the behavior.

the top 4 tracks in the picture are the H9000 and at the top of the screen shot in the timeline header of ableton the record sections are as labled above (1.2.3.4)

Just a few things to mention i have tried new db25 snakes and i have tested the cables.  I work for an audio install company doing installs and on site troubleshooting so im pretty good with signal flow isolation and problem solving at least on the basic level

jbamberg
      Eventide Staff

Thank you for the detailed report.  Please could you contact the team directly – email support@eventide.com and it will get forwarded to us – so we can narrow this down.

ndoe22
      Participant

Thank you.  I figured this was a support issue.  I messaged them.  I will report back on here to update

rskaudio
      Participant

I’m also getting digital clicks on channels using both ADAT and AES DSUB through the H9000. It doesn’t seem to be dependent on the sample rate. If I have the H9k clocked to AES it shows one sample rate while showing a different one (slightly) via wordclock. The clicks are super annoying since I’m working on a 55 minute long piece with lots of sustained ambiences so punching in to the mix print everytime the come up has been a pain.

Just noticed that I’m seeing different sample rates with different AES inputs (all on the same DSUB). Connected to a Digidesign 192 (wordclock is also connected to the same device). All options show Locked and I hear relays switching when changing.

Session Sample Rate of 44.1kHz

Wordclock – 44082

AES 1/2 – 44082

AES 3/4 – 44082

AES 5/6 – 44122

AES 7/8 – 44082

Have just tried switching my system over to using the H9000 as the clock master and will see how it goes.

rskaudio
      Participant

Couldn’t figure out how to edit my previous post thus the second.

Switching to the H9000 as Master has reduced the number of clicks but not gotten rid of them. Oddly, it doesn’t click across all the AES outputs at the same time, it’ll be on one side of one pair and it seems to cycle through them. This is in PT Ultimate 2019.12 on a mac by the way. All Avid & Digidesign interfaces connected with Loop Sync and the Master clock set to AES in from the H9000 currently.

ndoe22
      Participant

Have you updated to the latest OS and emote? The issue I had was fixed with the latest update.

rskaudio
      Participant

Sadly I believe I am, on 1.2.2[3] and 1.2.2 on Emote. It’s a new(ish) unit and I don’t see any more recent updates when the device checks for them.

ndoe22
      Participant

My guess it is a clicking issue. Mine was a different issue that the update fixed.

rskaudio
      Participant

Great thanks, will get that installed and test it out.

Can you send me an email with any known issues I should be aware of? I was also having issues with automation triggering the wrong controls in Pro Tools last night but haven’t had a chance to see if that was still happening today, have a video of it I can sent along if that’s helpful.

bsfreq
      Participant

Same random clicking and popping issue here.

Haven’t pinpointed the issue yet, but sounds very much like the same clocking issue described here.

I’m clocking my H9000 via MADI coaxial, slaved to RME Fireface UFX+.
      (I used optical MADI before, and same issue there)
      H9000 software 1.2.2[3], Madi on Expansion slot A, (MADI firmware 10)

Also there’s the same wierdness with clock rates. When clocking to 44,1kHz, The H9000 shows that it’s locked, but the actual rate reads either 44082Hz, or 44122Hz. Not 44100.
      I asked RME about this and they said it looks like a bug in H9000 MADI input clock handling.
      Also reported this to Eventide last July. Don’t know if it’s the same bug causing these clicks and pops though.

Could you please also give me access to a release with the fix. Thank you.

rreverman
      Participant

Glad to have found this thread!  I’ve been dealing with the “pops” since day one. The issue does appear to be coming from the H9K.  

jbamberg- will you please send me version release 1.2.254.?

ndoe22
      Participant
      ndoe22 wrote:
      My guess it is a clicking issue. Mine was a different issue that the update fixed.

I meant clocking issue. Maybe you need to contact support

jbamberg
      Eventide Staff
      rskaudio wrote:

Sadly I believe I am, on 1.2.2[3] and 1.2.2 on Emote. It's a new(ish) unit and I don't see any more recent updates when the device checks for them.

Hi rskaudio,

I checked our software administration system.  The fix that ndoe22 refers to has not been rolled out in a public software release yet.  We have been giving special access to this on an individual basis to users who have experienced this problem.

I have given you access to this release, which is numbered 1.2.254.  You should be able to install it using the Software Updates page in Setup mode.

I apologize for not getting this out sooner but it's been difficult to organize testing recently.  Please let us know how you get on.

jbamberg
      Eventide Staff
      bsfreq wrote:
      Could you please also give me access to a release with the fix. Thank you.

I've added access for you to this version too.

joeydego
      Participant

I too have seen random rates while clocking ADAT, which of course exasperates popping. Usually toggling the sync source once or twice fixes this for me.

bsfreq wrote:
      Same random clicking and popping issue here. Haven’t pinpointed the issue yet, but sounds very much like the same clocking issue described here. I’m clocking my H9000 via MADI coaxial, slaved to RME Fireface UFX+. (I used optical MADI before, and same issue there) H9000 software 1.2.2[3], Madi on Expansion slot A, (MADI firmware 10) Also there’s the same wierdness with clock rates. When clocking to 44,1kHz, The H9000 shows that it’s locked, but the actual rate reads either 44082Hz, or 44122Hz. Not 44100. I asked RME about this and they said it looks like a bug in H9000 MADI input clock handling. Also reported this to Eventide last July. Don’t know if it’s the same bug causing these clicks and pops though. Could you please also give me access to a release with the fix. Thank you.

jbamberg
      Eventide Staff
      bsfreq wrote:
      Also there’s the same wierdness with clock rates. When clocking to 44,1kHz, The H9000 shows that it's locked, but the actual rate reads either 44082Hz, or 44122Hz. Not 44100. I asked RME about this and they said it looks like a bug in H9000 MADI input clock handling.

The value we display for the rate comes from the clock controller chip.  I would need to go digging in the firmware to confirm for sure, but I believe that the reason it shows 44082 / 44122 is just an artifact of the way that value is being derived for display, and doesn’t reflect an actual deviation of -18 / +22 from the nominal rate.  This happens regardless of what the external clock source is (for example, this happens in my home setup using Dante) and is not generally accompanied by any problems in the audio.  This isn't related to the popping issue that the original poster encountered.

bsfreq
      Participant
      jbamberg wrote:

The value we display for the rate comes from the clock controller chip.  I would need to go digging in the firmware to confirm for sure, but I believe that the reason it shows 44082 / 44122 is just an artifact of the way that value is being derived for display, and doesn’t reflect an actual deviation of -18 / +22 from the nominal rate.  This happens regardless of what the external clock source is (for example, this happens in my home setup using Dante) and is not generally accompanied by any problems in the audio.  This isn’t related to the popping issue that the original poster encountered.

Ok, thanks for the info. I just updated to 1.2.254, but don’t have the time to thoroughly test my H9000 right now. I’ll let you know if I keep getting audible issues. 

jbamberg
      Eventide Staff
      rreverman wrote:

Glad to have found this thread!  I've been dealing with the "pops" since day one. The issue does appear to be coming from the H9K.  

jbamberg- will you please send me version release 1.2.254.?

Hi rreverman,

I've given you access to this release in our software administration backend – you should see it in the Software Update page of your H9000 or in emote.  If you need a USB-installable version let me know.

Cheers

Joe

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.