Meter and Tuner in Effects Loop

Home Forums Products Rackmount Meter and Tuner in Effects Loop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      mx250r

I have an Eclipse in the effects loop and everything works fine sound-wise.  When connected like this, the meter and the tuner do not work for me.  Is this normal or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Rich

IDeangelis

Hi Rich

we need to know the following:

-Eclipse is running in an FX loop. Which kind of level is the FX loop designed for (+4dB/-20dB)?

-which type of cables are you using and whick connectors on Eclipse?

-how IN GAIN is set, under LEVELS?

I believe you are referring to the input LEVELS leds with the word "meters"?

best

I

mx250r

I am using XLR(Eclipse) to 1/4 inch unbalanced for input and output.  In and out gain set at 0.  Mstr out at 15.

I am using a Carvin Legacy and here is the only info I was able to get from the manual, but I will call Carvin to get the answer unless you already know based on the amp type.  Yes, I am referring to the levels LEDs.

It’s possible to have a slight gain reduction

of several dB with some effects units. However, the amp has plenty of gain to overcome any

loss.

Thanks very much.

IDeangelis

Master Out can't be set at 15. It's max level is 0dB.

Very likely your amp SEND is not sending enough juice to the Eclipse input. You need to boost Eclipse input level to fill its headroom properly. Keep Master Out on 0dB and set IN GAIN @ +7 or +8 dB..or even flat out. This should help to lite up those input leds and help with the tuner and any other pitch detection algorithm, as these requires a proper input level.

all the best

I

mx250r

I meant to say -15 on the master out.  OK, I called Carvin and they said the effects loop is +4.  I noticed it is tied to the amp volume, not sure if that is normal.  In order to get 1 light on the LED, I had to crank the amp volume to 3, which is loud for a Legacy.  Of course, I cut the master volume on the Eclipse.  I couldn't control the distortion presets very well.  So then, I thought maybe I have a bad cable, so I tried a different unbalanced to XLR, same thing, also tried channel 2 on Eclipse.  So, when I switched the cable from XLR to unbalanced 1/4, I was able to get 3 lights on the LED.  Final settings of 10 on In Gain, -30 on Out Gain and -15 on master out and this seems to work well.  Do you foresee any problems with this configuration?  Do you think I have something else wrong?  Is there another way to boost the In Gain higher with XLR?

Thanks very much for your help,

Rich

IDeangelis

I understand, Rich.

This is a common problem with loud amps. The fx loop requires a certain level to drive fx unit properly…and this *may get loud*. Most amp use Volume to control fx loop send…that's ok.

I wouldn't use what you have been testing, 1/4" jacks, as the minute you need/like to crank your amp up a bit, Eclipse will be overdriven to nasty digital clip. Stay with XLRs to 1/4" and set Eclipse IN GAIN all the way up, to +10dB, while reducing its output level a bit. If that is not enough you may need some kind of balanced boosting device between the fx send and Eclipse input (not a very common solution) or simply play your carvin louder.

best

I

mx250r

OK.  Most times I play downstairs after my kids are asleep, so at low volumes, but maybe 3 times a year, I play out with friends.  I can see myself running into problems at that time so would like to get something worked out.  Is there a boosting device that you have seen used successfully that you could point me to?

Thanks again.

IDeangelis

I'm not aware of fx loop boosting devices. This is a quite unusual thing as it would be very easy to ruin the amp (and gtr) tone if not done properly. The best solution would be using a more adequate amp for low power use. Unfortunately there are some technical aspects we need to consider when using electronic gear.

One thing that many use and that seems to make everything_speak_to_everything_else quite well is the Soundsculpture Switchblade. It's a bit expensive but does a lot. You may enjoy reading its documentation and talk to them for advice on the topic.

good luck

I

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.