Midi and H9000

Home Forums Products Rackmount Midi and H9000

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      joeydego
      Participant

I see many algos have some external control like stops/starts and fader functions. Is it possible to use my Akai MPD 226 for this? Every button and fader is assignable on it.

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff
      joeydego wrote:
      I see many algos have some external control like stops/starts and fader functions. Is it possible to use my Akai MPD 226 for this? Every button and fader is assignable on it.

Yes, assigning and customizing MIDI settings on the H9000 is very simple. Start by plugging your MPD directly into any of the H9k USB ports.

On the front panel: Go to the PARAMETERS page and select the Quick Map soft key. Highlight a parameter and press "Enter to Learn" and move whatever your desired MIDI CC is. That's it! 

In Emote: CTRL+click the parameter that you want to control via MIDI and a popup menu will come up on the right side of the screen. From here, the easiest way to map is to click "Learn" and it will function the same way as quick map on the front panel. 

There's more to it but that should get you started with MIDI mapping parameters with your MPD. Does that answer your question? 

joeydego
      Participant

Akai makes an LPD8, looks really simple for 70 bucks. 8 pads and 8 knobs. That should have me covered, yes? 

joeydego
      Participant

So I’m not finding the section in the manual regarding midi mapping. I see when I right click on a parameter I get the mapping pane to pop out. I hit learn and it maps itself to something on the controller I move. This is working. I’m finding knobs and faders to be unusably choppy, like they go from one to 100 with nothing in between. Surely I’m doing something wrong? I didn’t sync anything with the korg control software yet to make assignments. Just plugging it in out of the box.

joeydego
      Participant

Perfect now. Thanks!

joeydego
      Participant
      tbskoglund wrote:

joeydego wrote:

Yes, assigning and customizing MIDI settings on the H9000 is very simple. Start by plugging your MPD directly into any of the H9k USB ports.

On the front panel: Go to the PARAMETERS page and select the Quick Map soft key. Highlight a parameter and press “Enter to Learn” and move whatever your desired MIDI CC is. That’s it! 

In Emote: CTRL+click the parameter that you want to control via MIDI and a popup menu will come up on the right side of the screen. From here, the easiest way to map is to click “Learn” and it will function the same way as quick map on the front panel. 

There’s more to it but that should get you started with MIDI mapping parameters with your MPD. Does that answer your question? 

It does, yes. My only issue is my MPD is currently in ins main function as a drum editor. I may pick up something else. Is there something else on the market better suited for this role that wont break the bank in the 100-150 dollar range? I think to fully utilize the H9000 I’d need a couple buttons and a fader or 2, unless I’m wrong? 

joeydego
      Participant
      tbskoglund wrote:

joeydego wrote:

On the front panel: Go to the PARAMETERS page and select the Quick Map soft key. Highlight a parameter and press “Enter to Learn” and move whatever your desired MIDI CC is. That’s it! 

In Emote: CTRL+click the parameter that you want to control via MIDI and a popup menu will come up on the right side of the screen. From here, the easiest way to map is to click “Learn” and it will function the same way as quick map on the front panel. 

There’s more to it but that should get you started with MIDI mapping parameters with your MPD. Does that answer your question? 

I do also have a NI Komplete Kontrol 61 key MKII in my ecosystem here. Not sure if this can handle double duty this way, either. 

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff
      joeydego wrote:

Akai makes an LPD8, looks really simple for 70 bucks. 8 pads and 8 knobs. That should have me covered, yes? 

That looks like a good option. I've been using a Korg nanoKONTROL2. 8 knobs, 8 faders, and plenty of buttons. 

joeydego
      Participant
      tbskoglund wrote:

joeydego wrote:

That looks like a good option. I’ve been using a Korg nanoKONTROL2. 8 knobs, 8 faders, and plenty of buttons. 

Thanks! Ill take a look at both and pick up something today. Appreciate the help. 

joeydego
      Participant
      tbskoglund wrote:

joeydego wrote:

That looks like a good option. I’ve been using a Korg nanoKONTROL2. 8 knobs, 8 faders, and plenty of buttons. 

Those S, M, R buttons can be assigned as well? 

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff
      joeydego wrote:

tbskoglund wrote:

joeydego wrote:

That looks like a good option. I've been using a Korg nanoKONTROL2. 8 knobs, 8 faders, and plenty of buttons. 

Yup! Definitely a good choice with lots of mapping options. 

joeydego
      Participant
      tbskoglund wrote:

joeydego wrote:

tbskoglund wrote:

joeydego wrote:

Yup! Definitely a good choice with lots of mapping options. 

just ordered, thanks!!!!!!

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff
      joeydego wrote:
      So I’m not finding the section in the manual regarding midi mapping. I see when I right click on a parameter I get the mapping pane to pop out. I hit learn and it maps itself to something on the controller I move. This is working. I’m finding knobs and faders to be unusably choppy, like they go from one to 100 with nothing in between. Surely I’m doing something wrong? I didn’t sync anything with the korg control software yet to make assignments. Just plugging it in out of the box.

I think the issue here is with the nanoKONTROL2. It needs to be in "CC mode" to work correctly (I also had this issue the first time I tried it.)

Hold the set and cycle buttons on the controller as you plug it in and then it will be in CC mode and should map correctly. You only need to do this once and it will stay in that mode until you change it.

Let me know if that works.

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff
      joeydego wrote:
      Perfect now. Thanks!

No problem! I meant to tell you that when you ordered the nanoKONTROL since that was kind of tricky to figure out.

joeydego
      Participant
      tbskoglund wrote:
      joeydego wrote:
      Perfect now. Thanks!

No problem! I meant to tell you that when you ordered the nanoKONTROL since that was kind of tricky to figure out.

This thing is perfect for this. Small, out of the way, bus powered, plenty of knobs and faders and most importantly cheap!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.