Mixer module in Emote for feedback loops?

Home Forums Products Rackmount Mixer module in Emote for feedback loops?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      moschops
      Participant

HI,

Would it make sense to have a mixer module within Emote so you could combine ALG’s and make feedback loops using different ALG combinations?

John Baylies
      Participant

I think it may be best to keep feedback loops within algorithms.

It's not too tough to create a feedback loop using the H9000's physical IO, but it could be dangerous to allow feedback loops to be made any more easily than that, unless precautions are taken.

You can always plug a single ADAT cable into the H9000's ADAT IO to create inter-FXchain feedback loops.

chriscarter
      Participant
      Thanks for that info John – great stuff, cant wait to try out yes (and yes I use the Dante card as my clock source for everything).

On another experimental patching related note… if I connect our H9k ADAT I/O to our Eclipse ADAT I/O is it possible to send the H9k signal to the Eclipse and return it within an H9k FX Chain – effectively like another algorithm?

chriscarter
      Participant
      John Baylies wrote:

I think it may be best to keep feedback loops within algorithms.

It’s not too tough to create a feedback loop using the H9000’s physical IO, but it could be dangerous to allow feedback loops to be made any more easily than that, unless precautions are taken.

You can always plug a single ADAT cable into the H9000’s ADAT IO to create inter-FX chain feedback loops.

I’m intrigued by the idea of this but can you give an example of how this inter-FX chain feedback loop could be patched? Normally I have my FX Chains routed through my H9k Dante card and although I’ve looped an ADAT cable back into the H9k I am little perplexed as to how I bridge the Dante paths to/from the ADAT paths. Which algorithms would be best for experimenting with this technique?

John Baylies
      Participant
      chriscarter wrote:
      I'm intrigued by the idea of this but can you give an example of how this inter-FX chain feedback loop could be patched? Normally I have my FX Chains routed through my H9k Dante card and although I've looped an ADAT cable back into the H9k I am little perplexed as to how I bridge the Dante paths to/from the ADAT paths. Which algorithms would be best for experimenting with this technique?

Since you have a Dante card, you can use Dante Controller to make a loop that the H9000 can use to route audio from FX Chain outputs to inputs.

I've attached a preset file for algorithm #9101 Digital Delay. Using that preset in a feedback loop allows you to use the mix knob as a feedback % knob. You can add three more algorithms to the chain that'll effect the sound every loop.

In Dante Controller, assign your H9000's Dante transmitter # 3 & 4 to Receivers # 3 & 4, and to your DAW / monitors. This only works if the H9000's Clock Source is set to Dante. Otherwise there is a lot of white noise.

John Baylies
      Participant
      chriscarter wrote:
      if I connect our H9k ADAT I/O to our Eclipse ADAT I/O is it possible to send the H9k signal to the Eclipse and return it within an H9k FX Chain – effectively like another algorithm?

That's possible, yes. You just have to make sure that the Eclipse is clocked to the H9000, either via ADAT or Word Clock.

page 10 of the Eclipse User Manual:

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff
      chriscarter wrote:

Thanks for that info John – great stuff, cant wait to try out yes (and yes I use the Dante card as my clock source for everything).

On another experimental patching related note… if I connect our H9k ADAT I/O to our Eclipse ADAT I/O is it possible to send the H9k signal to the Eclipse and return it within an H9k FX Chain – effectively like another algorithm?

On the H9000 side of things, this should work if you route your FX chain like this: 

This would insert your Eclipse in between the Spring and Crystals algorithms. Let me know how it goes! 

chriscarter
      Participant
      tbskoglund wrote:
      On the H9000 side of things, this should work if you route your FX chain like this: 

This would insert your Eclipse in between the Spring and Crystals algorithms. Let me know how it goes!

Thanks for the patch suggestion… the arrangement works really well, having a great time trying out different effects combos and signal flows. We have a few different rack effects with digital I/O so lots of creative audio mangling possibilities ahead.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.