(near)zero latency program changes

Home Forums Products Rackmount (near)zero latency program changes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      earwig

I just wanted to ask Eclipse users about midi program switching. How does she fly?Smooth switching or frustrating – majorly noticeable load time?I'm one of the guys who doesn't use the real time on/off switching of f/x.I have always just pre programmed my changes so they do exactally what I want using simple midi program changes. I have recently bought an H7600. Although it has everything under the sun, the one thing it lags is (near) zero latency program changes. I had no idea of this load time when I purchased the unit. I will definately keep this unit for my studio.Thank you for reading……

IDeangelis

Hi earwig

Eclipse is very fast at program switching, definitely faster than the 7600.

Switching latency IS a side effect of high quality audio fx. The algorithm running in RAM is compiled when loaded; at the next loading command the old preset needs to be decompiled (clearing the RAM) and a new one re_compiled.

This means you get the full power of the unit to run what you load, that is the max. processing capability is used for your effect, rather than using much smaller algorithms running together (using much less resources = inferior quality) allowing for faster switching.

It's like "do you enjoy the full cake_or just a slice of it"?

Nevertheless the H7600 MIDI Virtual Racks presets were created with this in mind, avoiding switching latency. Each of these presets has 5 full blown, studio quality FX. A TWEAK # parameter remotes all parameters marked with an asterisk (*). The preset then stores 10 different tweaks, including on/off switching of each fx AND parameters settings. A single MIDI CC commands the switching between any tweak to any other one.  This is beyond "near zero" latency. It's NO latency at all. Try them!

all the best

I

earwig

I understand that the H7600 is of the highest quality.

I have tried to use the tweaks w/ my voodoo labs ground control pro. The problem I have is that you can only assing a midi channel # & a controller # to each foot switch but no controll value#. This works great for simple midi on/off comands w/ controller #'s 4,5,6,7 & so on. However; it has two footpedals that can have midi channel #, controller #, & controller value. Definately a limitation on the Ground Control pedal. I've tried the tweaks w/o assigning a controller value & they simply don't work.

IDeangelis

May I suggest you look for a more advanced pedalboard?

See, such a device would unwrap the power of your 7600 to an unbelievable level…and wouldn't be so expensive as getting another processor.

MIDI CCs w/values are what you need.

A mod in Vsig could enable an external footswitch to scroll thru the Tweaks but you'd be limited to scrolling thru the logical sequence of Tweaks umbers (1>2>3>4>5>etc), being unable to jump from, as an example, #2 to #9…which is the kind of freedom MIDI gives.

best

I

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.