Home Forums Products Rackmount Need help updating Orville to final OS version

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      chiavere
      Participant

Hello,

I have an Orville running bootROM 1.071 and OS 2.515.

I have a Sabrent USB>Serial adapter that is passing signal to Orville (e.g. it works with Vsig).

When I hold down “2” on boot to enter OS update mode, I am immediately taken to the “test” page – there is no screen that tells me to release the “2” button. 

I have tried to release the two at different times (before/after the 1st and 2nd relay sounds on boot), but I only either get the “test” screen, or the unit boots completely.

Any ideas for how to get this unit up to the final OS release?

Many thanks!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Not sure what you mean by the "test" page.

But, that aside, I would suggest you leave the unit as it is.

Any attempt to upgrade a unit of this age is somewhat risky, and you may end up "bricking" it, which may not be fixable.

chiavere
      Participant

Hi –

Attached is a photo of the “test” screen I get when holding down “2” at boot to enter OS upgrade mode – there is no prompt to release the “2” to enter OS upgrade mode, which is what is supposed to happen, from what I understand.

I understand the risks of upgrading an older unit, but please let me know if you have any thoughts as to why I don’t get the prompt to release the “2” button to enter OS upgrade mode.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

What you are calling the test screen is entered by holding down '5' at powerup, or by holding down any other key for more than 5 seconds, which you are presumably doing.

Sorry – don't know why you are not seeing the Update screen. It may be that another key is stuck down – try either wiggling them all to loosen them, or turn the wheel on the test screen until you get to the Front Panel Test which should show you what the keys are doing.

If that does not work, you could send the unit for service, but I would guess you are not keen to do this.

chiavere
      Participant

Thanks again for the quick replies, it’s *much* appreciated!

I did the front panel key test, and got the “KEY_NONE” message until I pressed a key, and all keys registered correctly in that test.

Is it, in theory, possible to upgrade directly to the final OS from bootROM 1.071 and OS 2.515? 

Just trying to figure out why I am not entering OS update screen when I hit “2,” as it seems everything is working correctly with the front panel inputs.

Thanks.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I'm sorry – this unit is too old to remotely diagnose.

My advice is that you leave it as it is.

Otherwise, you may want to send it for service.

chiavere
      Participant

Hi,

Ok, thanks – can you point me to who/where I contact to schedule service? 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I can't see any reason why pressing the 2 key would not get you into UPDATE. Make sure you hold down the key before switching the unit on and keep it pressed until recognized.

But, if all else fails, your best bet might be Dane Beamish.

see https://www.eventideaudio.com/support/downloads/legacy-product-repair-information

chiavere
      Participant

Ok, will check with him.

Here’s a video of me holding down “2” and turning on the unit – you can see it never says to release the button, and it automatically goes to the “test” screen:

https://alabama.box.com/s/ej910a8ohs7g3jdq0zsbe47qb1awpy1k

I have also noticed that there are occassional “checksum” errors on boot, so these two things may be connected.

Thanks.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.