Needs help ! -> Noise problem using the H8000FW in mono guitar rig

Home Forums Products Rackmount Needs help ! -> Noise problem using the H8000FW in mono guitar rig

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      blue2you

Hello,

I bought an Eventide H8000FW for studio use, but I would like to use it also with my guitar rig.

Well, I've a problem using it this way.

Here we go,

1.My rig is:

– Two Rock J2 Anniversary amplifier with an effect loop (no noise at all with other units or testing the loop with a cable send to return) (the loop has no level pot (100% wet)

– Eventide H8000FW set to mono IN (analog IN1)  mono OUT (analog OUT1) (routing A->B)

– Vovox cables ( I've tested both balanced and unbalanced cables).

2.The test was made using two guitars:

– Fender Stratocaster (single coils)

– Suhr Anniversary 2008 (humbuckers)

3.The problem is that I've got a lot of noise using both of the cables:

– balanced (I've exact the same noise as the unbalanced one, but I've a low volume also which is normal( I mean for the volume as marked on the H8000FW manual)

-unbalanced (I've thought that the unbalanced cables are the solution for that problem, but NO, I've the same noise as the balanced cables with more volume).

4.The noise:

– it's a hiss noise, high frequencies with some "radio like" properties (AM radio, like searching for a station…)

5.Solutions (I've tested):

– changing cables (balanced/unbalanced-not working)

– changing guitars (not working)

– muting the Eventide (system bypass-mute/relay/dsp) (working only for the "radio like" noise, not for the hiss !

– testing the Eventide H8000FW straight to a Metric Halo ULN 2 balanced analog input with balanced cable (not working, same noise with "radio like" properties).

Well, that's it ! Hmm

I hope someone can help me !Yes

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

It's not really clear to me what you are connecting to what, using what inputs or outputs.

If you re connecting to the 1/4" input, you must drive it from a guitar or other unbalanced source.

If you are connecting to the XLR input, both pins 2 and 3 must be connected to either signal or ground. If either of these pins is "hanging" you will get the systems you describe.

Similarly, if using the XLR out put, both of pins 2 and 3 must either be connected to a signal input, or connected to ground. If either of these pins is "hanging" you will get the systems you describe.

If this does not help, please give me a very specific description of one particular scenario, saying exactly what output is connected to what input with what cable. Try different cables to be sure it is not just a bad one.

blue2you

Hello and thanks for your response.Yes

I'm using the unbalanced 1/4" input (1) of the Eventide with a Vovox guitar cable (unbalanced mono cable) that go to the send of my amp and I'm using the XLR male output (1) with a XLR female balanced than unbalanced cable (Vovox) that go to return of my amp.

blue2you

I mean: I've used both the XLR balanced and unbalanced cables (stock cables) from the Eventide XLR male out to the return of my amp loop with no success (the noise is the same).

May be I should make a custom XLR unbalanced cable respecting the Eventide manual diagram?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

blue2you:

I'm using the XLR male output (1) with a XLR female balanced than unbalanced cable (Vovox) that go to return of my amp.

Assuming that you mean "balanced then unbalanced", how are you connecting them so as to unbalance the balanced cable ? My guess is that you are just plugging one into the other, without any arrangement to unbalance the balanced line. In this case, one of the H8000 outputs will probably be blowing in the wind, which would cause your problem.

In your later post, you suggest following the instructions in the User Manual – I would encourage this.

blue2you

OK, once again (sorry for my poor English):

1.When I bought the Eventide, I've used the XLR female to 1/4" TRS (balanced cable from the Eventide output) to go straight to my amp loop (return), the input was assured with an unbalanced 1/4" TS to 1/4" TS (unbalanced guitar cable)->noise

2.After that, I've used the XLR female to 1/4" TS (unbalanced cable from the Eventide output) to go straight to my amp loop (return), the input was assured with an unbalanced 1/4" TS to 1/4" TS (unbalanced guitar cable) the same input cable as on example 1->noise

Is that more clear?Yes

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I'm pretty sure that you are going from a balanced output to either an unbalanced cable or an unbalanced input – this is what is causing your problem.

One way to correctly unbalance the output is to short pin 1 to whichever of the other pins is not being used.

blue2you

OK, thanks for your reply.Yes

I'll check this out with my tech this week-end and I'll let you know.Geeked

blue2you

Hello again,

Well, the test was made and we found the solution, but still we have some questions…

1.The only possible way to use the Eventide H8000FW with the amp loop is:

->Amp SEND (TRS stereo 1/4" jack (balanced) to Eventide INPUT1 (XLR male)

->Amp RETURN (TS mono 1/4" jack (unbalanced) to Eventide OUTPUT1 (XLR female)

No modification of any kind was made to the stock cables !

2.The only possible way for now to use the Eventide H8000FW with my mixer is:

->Mixer Line IN (TRS or TS stereo or mono 1/4" jack (balanced or unbalanced) to Eventide OUTPUT1 (XLR female)

->Guitar Output (TS  mono 1/4" (unbalanced) to Eventide INPUT1 (TS mono 1/4" (unbalanced)

BUT, if I change the OUTPUT cable to full XLR (XLR female (Eventide OUTPUT) to XLR male (mixer XLR IN), I've got the same terrible noise as described above…(the INPUT cable in this example is the same as example 2)

My question is why?

I've don't test it yet in the INSERT points, because I don't have the right cable to do this.

Well, that's it for now, problem solved.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

There is really nothing more I can add to what I have said before. As the User Manual says, both pins 2 and 3 of the XLR must be connected – otherwise you will get "more noise than signal."

If you are connecting from XLR to unbalanced 1/4", pin 2 goes to tip, pins 1 AND 3 must go to sleeve.

blue2you

OK, I understand, but I think it would be very useful to describe the exact way to hook the H8000FW in the most frequent situations (there is no mention about it in the manual).

Instant gratification is everything, especially in this price range…Wink

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.