New Eclipse owner questions

Home Forums Products Rackmount New Eclipse owner questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Daniel
      Participant

Howdy!

I've been getting good help from D in tech support, but I'm going to try this option now. I play pedal steel through  my Eclipse, in an FX loop, one amp. I'm using mono 1 input. I'm still trying presets, and occasionally finding some strange behavior.

For instance, preset #325 is nice, a "fuzzy chorusy" sound, as D described it, but I find that I cannot get any kind of volume pedal swell to work with it. It seems that once the volume pedal reaches a certain level, the sound kicks in (a sharp attack). It works fine using direct picking with pedal open full. I find this with a couple other presets as well. Can anyone offer me some help with this? Thanks very much.

dan

IDeangelis

Hi Dan

the Distortion Preamp algorithm has a GATE. This may well be the cause of what you report. Try changing its setting to make it more sensitive to the input signal.

cheers

I

Daniel
      Participant

Thanks, Italo!

Would that be found by using the Levels button, or…..?

I'm sorry, I'm really new at this.

dan

IDeangelis

Dan

follow this:

-load 325 Moonlight GTR

-press PARAMETER then EDIT FX A

-press GATE

now you should adjust G THRESH (gate threshold) to a value that doesn't interfere with the signal level. Go up from -50 dB to 0 dB….

best

I

Daniel
      Participant

OK, this is getting ridiculous.

Yes, I was able to go from -50 db to 0, but I cannot seem to find the way to actually set/save this! This is where the manual is weak – when newbies like me look for the procedure for a simple "save" and find every other kind of save but the one we need. The index is of no use in this; it assumes a prior knowledge of terms and concepts that a newcomer does not possess. I'm sorry to be negative, but it is very frustrating not to be able to perform what should be a simple operation, due to a rather scatter shot arrangement of the manual. (Reviews of the Eclipse that I have seen make it sound worse than it is, but there are issues…). Please help me understand what I'm missing here. The bad reviews of the Eclipse did not deter me from getting one, and I am determined to learn it – it just seems to need a seasoned hand to sort things out.

Thank you.

dan 

IDeangelis

Dan

saving is briefly described in "Naming Things – The Mechanics"…but you are right, it's not as "front-end" as it could be.

Simply, once a preset has been tweaked to your taste, press PROGRAM twice and <COMPARE> [SAVE AS] will appear. Pressing SAVE AS will take you to the area where you can choose storage slot number (from 500 and above you store on a card, if present), name the preset and tag the preset in the database wizard.

best

I

Daniel
      Participant

Ah, ha! Thanks, Italo, that really helped!

1)  I had read over the "Naming…" section several times, but it seemed to apply more to newly created presets rather than tweaks to a factory one. I now know better.

2) Your original suggestion to go from -50db to 0 did not work for me. In fact, I couldn't even get a minor volume pedal swell to work. BUT…I thought, well, if that makes it worse, what would happen if I went the other way, say to -80db? Bingo! Now I can swell into this effect, and can further adjust it if need be.

3) I still find that the (tweaked) #325 is louder than other presets. Can that also be adjusted, like in outgain? Whatever the proper procedure, can that also be saved in the tweaked version of #325 (please specify how;  this is something essential)?

Thanks again! 

sincerely,

dan

IDeangelis

You can lower the FUZZ PREAMP algorithm LEVEL. It's under the FUZZ menu. 

Press PARAMETER, EDIT FX A, FUZZ, PARAMETER again, LEVEL. It defaults at -20dB…set it lower.

Then simply proceed to store your tweaked version by pressing PROGRAM twice and SAVE AS.

best

I

Daniel
      Participant

This is EXACTLY the kind of help I need – it enables me to explore (like lowering the db) and ultimately to understand (and enjoy) the Eclipse.

I just tried presets #203 & #206 and found that same thing with the volume pedal that you resolved in #325. As the parameters don't include GATE, I am unsure of just where to go to adjust something. Can you help me with these, and let me know if there is something in the manual that can guide me in which algorithms affect what – in layman's terms?

I am in you debt.

dan

IDeangelis

They both have GATE!

Explore your unit, Dan….

I

Daniel
      Participant

I am sorry for troubling you on this. I did not intend at this point to delve deeply into the Eclipse – I'm still too new at it. I was trying to find out how to fix/adjust some issues, and apparently it's more involving than I knew. I did find the gates – I was going on the previous success of immediately finding GATE, and did not know where to look when I didn't find it. After D in support had mentioned the algorithms in the back of the manual, I began looking at what was in which presets. It's still rather over my head, but I was able to see a bit better how things are broken down, and putting that list together with the subheadings under the presets descriptions, I saw how I could get to the gates in 203 & 206.

Again, my apologies, Italo. If I knew someone who had an Eclipse, I would certainly have given that person a call – personal, live instruction is best, just like music lessons or college courses. You've given me more to go on, and for that I am grateful. I will try to refrain from more questions that must seem so elementary to knowledgable folks, although exploration is always bound to raise questions.

Sincerely,

dan 

IDeangelis

Hi Dan

you *should* ask questions!

My point was simply about getting to explore the different Eclipse areas, system, presets, parameter, modulation….this is really the best way to get into what the unit is and does. Also try things out! They won't affect or create any problem.

all the best

I

Daniel
      Participant

Hey, Italo:

Yes, I had always believed (and been taught) that's it's best to ask questions. I just may be a bit too apprehensive about all the new effects I've recently added to my pedal steel guitar, and whether I'm going to screw something up. Usually I'm told things can always be undone, but after that first horrendous noise I got early on, I am  cautious.

Thank you for your patience – I suppose sometimes the best way to learn something is to just dive in head first. 

Sincerely,

dan

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.