New H9000 algorithms

Home Forums Products Rackmount New H9000 algorithms

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      cyborgssc
      Participant

Now that we’re past the production release of version 1.2 software, could we please get an update on the roadmap toward new algorithms for the H9000? On many occasions, you have indicated that the whole point of the new H9000 platform is to allow the creation of new algorithms (e.g. the first question in the FAQ for the H9000). However, I am only seeing new algorithms appear for the H9 and/or as software plugins. Several of those algorithms are not yet available for the H9000 (e.g. Harmadillo, TriceraChorus). For those of us that have already invested in the H9000 platform, as well as for those waiting on the sidelines, it would be quite useful to understand your thought process and plans for the future.

cdonnet
      Participant

I totally agree : H9000 is the flagship and the updates for new algos should be faster.
      I have the impression that all of the efforts are worn on the H9.

joeydego
      Participant

I may be mistaken, but I dont think there’s a way to load an H9 algo in the H9000(aside from the ones currently in there). If they released these in tandem for us 9000 users, at least they can kill 2 birds with one algorithm. 

joeydego
      Participant

I’m listening to the podcast right now. I’d just like to say I think the 9000 is an absolute marvel of engineering and computer science. I’m a very small fish with a modest home studio and I cant imagine many of these will end up in quite a humble setting like this. It’s like having a Sherman tank on your front lawn for home defense. I am in music journalism and reviewed the H9. I don’t know how old your average user is, but my first exposure to the Eventide sound and approach was Steve Vai’s passion and warfare in 1990. I was 16 and that record changed my life. I keep an H9 on my board (I’m playing in Hackensack tonight right down the road from you guys!) and its like an old friend. It’s amazing this is 10 years work and to hear it was almost scrapped is understandable. Truth is, there is SO much already in this box, I dont think I can master it in this lifetime as is. I haven’t even launched vsig. Shout out to Patrick, who sold me on an H9000 at NAMM and was instrumental in getting me up and running. You guys are awesome. Please get some algos out when you can. The only constructive criticism I can offer is at least in my setup, the wireless connection to Emote doesn’t work all too well. I hard wired it so now its a non issue. Other than that, its an amazing piece of gear I feel fortunate to own. I will leave you big fish now to the discussion and go back to reading. Wait, I need to be setting up! 

AAgnello
      Eventide Staff
      cdonnet wrote:
      I totally agree : H9000 is the flagship and the updates for new algos should be faster. I have the impression that all of the efforts are worn on the H9.

Thanks for your comments. I'm not sure how to address this without sounding defensive so here goes-

We've invested nearly ten years of effort into the H9000 because we believe that it's the future. The box's development wasn't a 'business decision'. That's something we've never been particularly good at. It's not as if there are dozens of companies developing rack mount audio effects boxes. They know better. That said, we do hope that sales of the H9000 will help pay at least some of our expenses and keep Eventide afloat. (Poor choice of word given our recent water 'event'.***)

In order for that to happen we believe that the H9000 must have value for a wide range of users including folks in broadcast and post production. One of the justifications (and appeal) for putting in this effort is that the design should make possible new and powerful multi-channel and surround effects. We're working on multi-channel limiters for broadcasters and surround sound reverbs. Dolby ATMOS compatibility is important too and we're trying to figure out exactly what that means.

Plus the box needs to support Avid HDX to be viable for a significant group of potential users. We're running these projects in parallel. Speaking of parallel efforts, we can't ignore our plugin and stompbox businesses or all bets are off. Really.

Porting effects that run on the H9 to the H9000 may seem trivial. Ain't so. Doable yes. Trivial no. On the one hand, the UI needs to be re-factored and re-thunk. On the other hand, the tapers of the parameters need to tweaked to work smoothly – to feel right. And, on the third hand, since the H9 uses fixed point math…

Porting plugins is also less than trivial. Our most advanced plugin for example, Physion, will likely have to run across multiple cores on one of the H9000's quad ARM chips. We've designed the system to support that but, again, nothing comes easy.

Fact is that we're a small team of fewer than 10 developers and we're doing as much as we can because we love what we do. We're not well managed (that's on me). We're trying to do too much (once again on me). 

The other fact is that we've painstakingly ported a shit load of algs from earlier rack mount products as well as from our stomp boxes and they run great on the H9000. And they sound fantastic. There's so much already in the box. Should there be more? Of course. Will there be more? You betcha. 

BTW, if you wonder who the heck we are I suggest that you have a listen to the three episodes of the Gear Club podcast with interviews of 7 of the 11 people who made the H9000 a reality. You'll discover, for better or worse, who we are and maybe get a sense of why we do what we do. 

https://www.gear-club.net/episodes/66/h9000-1

*** https://www.facebook.com/Eventide/videos/767964083695675/?tn-str=k*F

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.