New Orville owner, have a few questions!

Home Forums Products Rackmount New Orville owner, have a few questions!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      zr1fevr

Just purchased an Orville, I am new to rack gear. For now, I will be running it through the effects loop of my EVH 5150 III head. I bought a male & female XLR-TRS cable to connect to analog 1 input & output. I get a signal going through, but on some presets it’s very noisy, distorted, others it’s fine. Do I need to adjust the line levels with this setup? Also, I have noticed numerous presets load, but there is no preset working, silence. I see some have to be on the correct DSP, but these are on the correct DSP & nothing happens. Oh, I get nothing showing on the meters on the left no matter what preset I am using. Been reading the manual, but I am confused by the whole balanced, unbalanced aspect of connecting this unit. Plan to get a mixer, but for now this is how I have to use it. Thanks for any help!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sounds like you may need a tech-y friend ..

If you get noise or distortion, check the meters. Also, try adjusting Orville's output level – you may be overloading whatever you are feeding.

If, as appears, you are only connecting one channel, you'll only get activity on one of the meters.

zr1fevr
        nickrose wrote:

Sounds like you may need a tech-y friend ..

Definitely!

If you get noise or distortion, check the meters. Also, try adjusting Orville’s output level – you may be overloading whatever you are feeding.

Ok, will check this out tonight.

If, as appears, you are only connecting one channel, you’ll only get activity on one of the meters.

Yes, only 1 channel currently. Even still, I am getting no display on any meter. Maybe the output is too low to register?

Thanks Nick

Kevin

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        zr1fevr wrote:

Yes, only 1 channel currently. Even still, I am getting no display on any meter. Maybe the output is too low to register?

No display on any meter ? That was not clear to me.

Do you hear anything going through the unit ? If you do, that would suggest that your levels are very low. Check the input gains.

If you hear nothing at all, it could be one or more of:

1) level settings

2) wiring

3) routing.

I would suggest that you re-initialize the unit – this will set it  to analog in, analog out, and put all the gains to unity.

zr1fevr

Nick, I have signal coming through the unit. Some presets sound good, some don’t. Do you think this could be because of level issues? Do I need to rewire the xlr-trs cables? Is re-initializing the unit resetting it? Is there a switch for this? I need an Orville for dummies book! Gonna look through the manual some more tonight if I get some time. Thanks for your continued help!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You need to initialize the unit (see UM).

Thereafter, you need to set up the levels so that loud signals at least go into the yellows. Some presets need a good signal level. Also, you will get noise or distortion if the levels are wrong.

zr1fevr
        nickrose wrote:

You need to initialize the unit (see UM).

Thereafter, you need to set up the levels so that loud signals at least go into the yellows. Some presets need a good signal level. Also, you will get noise or distortion if the levels are wrong.

Ok, looked through the manual last night, I did not see Re-initializing the unit in there. I see a section talking about clear setup to return to factory defaults, is this what I need to do or is there something more extensive? 

jhyman
      Keymaster
      Eventide Staff

INITIALIZING THE ORVILLE

Initialization of the unit will clear out the internal memory and return the unit to factory defaults. If you use this task in the future please be sure to back up any created presets or user saved information prior to performing this. To initialize the unit: With the unit powered down you will press and hold the '8' key and then power on the unit. You will hold the '8' key until you see "release key now" appear on the display, you will release the '8' key but then you must immediately hold it down again until you see the following message appear: Do you really want to lose all the stored information? Selecting yes will begin the initialization process which will take about 30 seconds. Once it is complete, the main screen will appear. 

zr1fevr
        jhyman wrote:

INITIALIZING THE ORVILLE

Initialization of the unit will clear out the internal memory and return the unit to factory defaults. If you use this task in the future please be sure to back up any created presets or user saved information prior to performing this. To initialize the unit: With the unit powered down you will press and hold the ‘8’ key and then power on the unit. You will hold the ‘8’ key until you see “release key now” appear on the display, you will release the ‘8’ key but then you must immediately hold it down again until you see the following message appear: Do you really want to lose all the stored information? Selecting yes will begin the initialization process which will take about 30 seconds. Once it is complete, the main screen will appear. 

Thanks for the info! I just did this, tried it real quick & now I am getting a low level at times on my meter. Now I will adjust the levels & I should be in business. Thanks guys!

Kevin

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.