Newbie Help DSP 7000

Home Forums Products Rackmount Newbie Help DSP 7000

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      mikegguitars

I have scoured the manual and tried all of the bypass and level settings and cannot solve this. I have a wet/dry setup with the slave out from the main amp going through my effects rack into a Mesa 2:100 into separate bins. I cannot get a bypass signal to pass through the DSP7000. I tried all of the bypass options and none of them allow the dry signal through. What am I missing? I am using the analog in and out with balanced cables.

IDeangelis

Hi Mike

are you using the XLRs I/Os only?

are the cables wired/soldered correctly, as per the User Manual instructions, balanced XLRs to unbalanced 1/4" jacks?

which OS version is the unit running on?

best

I

mikegguitars

Hi and thank you. Rev 2.740 and I am using XLR to bal 1/4". I should change these today then?

IDeangelis

Hi Mike

sorry but the whole picture is not clear.

Are you using ONLY the unit's XLRs inputs & outputs or a mix of XLRs and 1/4" plugs?

I

mikegguitars

I am using XLR to bal 1/4" only. the 1/4" bal to input and XLR( to bal 1/4") on the output. sorry if not clear. thanks

IDeangelis

Hi Mike

thanks for making it clear.

Eventides use XLRs for +4 dB line level balanced AND unbalanced signals, whereas the 1/4" are only used for -10/-20dB instrument level signals. Very likely (please check) your signal source is line level, thus requiring the use of XLRs inputs and outputs.

In addition the manual states :

relay

“Hardwires” each input to its
      corresponding output, i.e., analog input 1 is connected to analog output 1, digital input
      2 is connected to digital output 2, etc. Shows red led when active.
      Note: Because the 1/4” analog inputs have no corresponding 1/4” analog outputs, relay effectively mutes those analog inputs that are mated with 1/4” plugs.

That's the reason why you don't get any signal out.

And last but not least…you are missing the latest AND greatest OS V3 for the 7000. It adds a lot of new features, Tap tempo and many presets. Please update your unit!

all the best

Italo

glennfin

"whereas the 1/4" are only used for -10/-20dB instrument level signals."

That's not true……..  The DSP7000 manual says;

"… these may be used as both line and guitar inputs depending on the input level setting

Talking about the analog 1/4" inputs…

IDeangelis

You'll get WAY much better performance using XLRs for +4dB line level signals. Otherwise you'll have to cut input levels by many dBs to accmodate a line level signal.

Why would the 7000 have XLRs inputs for then?

I

glennfin

It's a combination XLR connector…. both XLR and 1/4" on the same connector. There is no advantage using one vs the other. Signal level has nothing to do with the connector type.

….  

glennfin

I hit send before I finished…….

Why would you have to "cut input levels" when using the 1/4" connectors?

The difference between the 1/4" inputs and the XLR's is only unbalanced vs balanced…

IDeangelis

If you read the manual and your first post with more attention, they say:

"depending on the input level setting"

To accomodate a +4dB line level signal on the 1/4" you'll have to attenuate the input level of the Eventide or you'll get distortion in the red.

The two plugs are wired differently and use separate electronics in the signal path. The XLRs have a much higher headroom and thus can accept high level signals.

best

I

glennfin

If you go back and read the original posters comments you'll see that he never mentions anything about using a +4 level.  Line level can be either +4 or -10.

I'm feeding the 1/4" inputs on my DSP7000 with unbalanced line level signals. I'm using a very short run of cable so there's no advantage to using a balanced input.

IDeangelis

ight, he doesn't specify that, but a slave output is usually a line level signal, not an instrument one.

Line levels are 0dB, +4dB nad you can go much higher, +20dB, in pro_audio mixers.

-20dB or -10 are considered instrument levels, typical in a guitar or keyboard. Some keyboards can go higher, at 0 or + 4dB.

Using the balanced input, even with unbalanced wiring/signals, matched better the impedance and level of the signal and has the full headroom a +4dB line level signal requires. In addition you have to consider that a line level can have much wider dynamic excursion than an instrument one. The signal from a gtr rack preamp can have very different dynamics and levels from low to high, whereas a guitar doesn't.

You can some fun connecting a guitar to the XLR, with unbalanced wiring, and you'll hear what I'm talking about.

I

mikegguitars

i understand competely, the "fidelity" is awesome. I have concurred the cabling problem. Now onto midi presets !!!!! yikes

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.